Divorce From Thai Wife, Help Please.

saintpeter48

We were married in Thailand and now both live in England, we have been living apart for 3 years. I don't know where in England she lives and have no contact details for her, she holds all of the marriage documents. How do I go about getting a divorce, do I need to go back to Thailand and apply or can I do it over internet, help and advice needed please, thanks.

Depends upon where and how you got married. If it was registered with the Amphur, then it is real and needs a divorce.If it was a hand over the dowrie, close your eyes whilst the monks bleat on a bit, its fake so forget about it. Sound like it's the real one though. You can get divorced in the UK. Call a lawyer and file there.

• Like 1

The only way to divorce in the UK is through the courts; no matter where you married. If you have been separated for, I think, 2 years then you can file for one without her presence and the process should be fairly quick and painless.

But you need to speak to a solicitor. Most will offer an initial 30 minute consultation free of charge, or you could try your local CAB.

The Thai embassy do offer a divorce service, but although such a divorce would be recognised in Thailand it would not be recognised in the UK. Under UK law you would still be married.

Were you to divorce in Thailand that would be recognised in the UK.

Moving to Marriage and Divorce forum.

• Like 2