Bt500M Compensation Paid To Families Of 2004 Violence In South: Thailand

webfact

Bt500m compensation paid to families of 2004 violence in South

THE NATION

Yala

YALA: -- The Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre (SBPAC) yesterday handed over nearly Bt500 million in compensation to 422 relatives and heirs of victims of violence in the Krue Se, Saba Yoi and Tak Bai incidents in 2004.

A group of young Muslims took up weapons, mostly knives, against state officials in three southern provinces on April 28, 2004. More than 100 people including security officials died in the incidents. Among the fatalities were 31 young Muslim men shot dead in the historic Krue Se Mosque in Pattani province, and 19 members - mostly teenagers - of a soccer team killed in an attack on a security outpost in Songkhla's Saba Yoi district the same day.

At least 85 Muslims suffocated on October 25, 2004 when they were piled up in military trucks after a crackdown on their protest in Narathiwat's Tak Bai district.

An investigation conducted over the past year indicates that officials have used excessive force and misconduct in handling the situation in the predominantly Muslim region. Relatives of the victims have demanded compensation, some of which has been already been paid.

The government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was pressured to pay more compensation to the southern victims after the Cabinet paid Bt7.5 million each to families of red shirt protesters who died during an uprising against the government under Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in 2010.

Thavee Sordsong, secretary of the SBPAC, said it was a victory for the victims of the violence that the government had agreed to compensate victims and families for their suffering. The authorities also want to restore dignity and justice for all in order to bring peace to the restive region, he said.

The most recent spate of violence erupted in the predominantly Muslim region in early 2004 when a group of insurgents stormed into a military camp in Narathiwat province to steal weapons. The harsh reaction from the authorities has exacerbated the historical pain of Muslim Malayu in the South caused by the annexation of the region by Thailand, then Siam, more than 100 years ago.

The authority paid some Bt84 million to relatives and heirs of 34 civilian and security officials who died in the Krue Se incidents, Bt66.5 million to relatives of the 19 dead in Saba Yoi district and Bt297 million to relatives of 85 victims of the Tak Bai incident.

Salah Mama, 63, whose son was killed in Tak Bai, said he was glad to obtain Bt7.5 million to compensate for his loss and would spend the money to educate his grandchildren, who were orphaned when their father died nearly eight years ago.

Thavee said the compensation was intended to serve justice for people in the deep South, not to change their faith or ideology. People in the deep South retained their full right to express their ideology and thoughts, he said. The government intended to open a forum for them to express their ideas to help develop the region in order to live in peace with the rest of the country, he said.

In Bangkok, Yingluck said the authorities remained willing to use peaceful means to contain violence in the deep South, and would make efforts to understand people in the region.

The violence takes place on an almost daily basis and officials were always a step behind the insurgents, she said. "It seems officials know in advance what will happen but are unable to prevent the violence," she said. "We have to move faster and have a more effective defence system."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-18

Well this has to be greeted as a positive move, but one can't help wondering why the life of a red shirt in the North is worth 7.5 million and the life of a Thai in the South is worth on average 1.2 million? I wonder why!

\

Colour

Edited by waza

But this is how it works in Thailand.

Once the compensation has been paid the state is absolved of blame. So whether the people given the compensation are relatives of tak bai, or the UDD once they accept the money, the case is closed and those accused of the crime can carry on.

You take the money and accept that those who committed the crime will forever walk free or you reject the money and try for a conviction. The latter has a very slim chance of success while the former allows you to rebuild your life.

• Like 1

Well this has to be greeted as a positive move, but one can't help wondering why the life of a red shirt in the North is worth 7.5 million and the life of a Thai in the South is worth on average 1.2 million? I wonder why!

The Southerners didn't vote Pheu Thai Party.

I don't get it. whistling.gif

Hundreds of Muslims take up arms and create havoc. They get shot or killed, when trying to be controlled.

And now they get huge compensation?

What's the deal??ermm.gif

-mel.

Are you trolling or just plain ignorant? Why don't you read up a bit on what happened at Tak Bai and then maybe apologize for the utter nonsense you just posted!

• Like 1

the difference is highlighted by other news just a few days ago that involved Southerners killed in incidents other than the three mentioned in the OP. For them, compensations is even much less.

The Cabinet today approved compensation payments for deaths and disabilities in the South at 500,000 baht.

2,739 deaths and 303 disabilities are eligible for payment and retroactively cover deaths from Jan. 1, 2004 to the present.

But this is how it works in Thailand.

Once the compensation has been paid the state is absolved of blame. So whether the people given the compensation are relatives of tak bai, or the UDD once they accept the money, the case is closed and those accused of the crime can carry on.

You take the money and accept that those who committed the crime will forever walk free or you reject the money and try for a conviction. The latter has a very slim chance of success while the former allows you to rebuild your life.

Not necessarily, for instance, some of the Redshirt's relatives, including the mother of the nurse killed at the Wat during the Red riots, took the money, but crossed out the stipulation that she would not seek other compensation or redress before signing the receipt.

I agree, sorry I should have inserted a raised eyes smilie at the end

I don't get it. whistling.gif

Hundreds of Muslims take up arms and create havoc. They get shot or killed, when trying to be controlled.

-mel.

Are you trolling or just plain ignorant? Why don't you read up a bit on what happened at Tak Bai and then maybe apologize for the utter nonsense you just posted!

Total sense of humour loss. Obviously, you left it back in Ireland!

Oh! For your knowledge, I am sincerely plain ignorant, same as the Irish.

Can you give me lessons? 2 Ploughman's Notes per hour I'll pay for further ignorance. ;)

-mel. giggle.gifcoffee1.gif

Can you give me lessons? 2 Ploughman's Notes per hour I'll pay for further ignorance. wink.png

I fail to see any humor in the Tak Bai or Krue Se atrocities to be honest. But that's just me.

• Like 2

No worries.

It's worth repeating the double standards.

It's noteworthy that Pheu Thai Party-voting Red Shirts get 7.75 Million Baht,

while non-Pheu Thai Party-voting Southerners get but 500,000 baht in most cases.

yea for PTP/Red Shirt reconciliation.

Edited by Buchholz

Can you give me lessons? 2 Ploughman's Notes per hour I'll pay for further ignorance. wink.png

I fail to see any humor in the Tak Bai or Krue Se atrocities to be honest. But that's just me.

If you don't see irony in this:

-------------

:I don't get it. whistling.gif

-------------

; then I don't, and cannot possibly, understand how you see humour and irony in Shakespeare at any moment.

I'll be damned as I hope you are not a flagrant Irish English teacher. ... errrm Humour involved.

-mel. wink.png

Edited by metisdead
: Large font re-set to normal.

The difference in compensation between 2004 and 2010 deaths is probably related to inflation correction as surely the value of a Thai life is not related to part of the country born or location of death in Thailand <insert some smiley>

I'm a little confused. I can understand why compensation would be paid for Tak Bai victims, but one appears to be paid B7.5 million while there is a total of B297 million for 85 victims - an average of ~B3.5 million. . Are some more worthy than others?

On the other hand, why would you pay compensation to those killed/wounded while attacking a security post or an army base?The Saba Yoi figure also averages out at B3.5 million. I see no reason to compensate armed insurgents, though I suppose the red shirt bribe set a precedent.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused. I can understand why compensation would be paid for Tak Bai victims, but one appears to be paid B7.5 million while there is a total of B297 million for 85 victims - an average of ~B3.5 million. . Are some more worthy than others?

On the other hand, why would you pay compensation to those killed/wounded while attacking a security post or an army base?The Saba Yoi figure also averages out at B3.5 million. I see no reason to compensate armed insurgents, though I suppose the red shirt bribe set a precedent.

I like the second paragraph best Mick. It's almost crying out for a spelling mistake - Yaba Soi?? ;)

-mel.

No worries.

It's worth repeating the double standards.

It's noteworthy that Pheu Thai Party-voting Red Shirts get 7.75 Million Baht,

while non-Pheu Thai Party-voting Southerners get but 500,000 baht in most cases.

yea for PTP/Red Shirt reconciliation.

more details on what most Southerners will be receiving... it is significantly less than that described in the OP...

OP = 500 million baht for for 402 victims,

Now = 152 million baht for 2,520 victims...

Thai government compensates victims of southern violence

NARATHIWAT – Thailand’s Southern Border Administrative Center (SBPAC) on Friday began compensating victims of the country’s ongoing violence in the south.

In Narathiwat, 468 people affected by the violence, which flared up in southern border provinces since 2004, received money awards today in compensation money.

Wichien Chantaranothai, Deputy Secretary-General of SBPAC, and Apinan Suenuthawong, Governor of Narathiwat, together presented the money as part of the Thai government’s rehabilitation of the victims of southern violence, conducted at the Provincial Islamic Committee Office in Narathiwat.

About 2,520 people are eligible to receive compensation totaling 152 million baht.

For each case, the injured have received 30,000 baht compensation and persons who became handicapped in an insurgency-related incident received 120,000 baht each.

Compensation money was presented to 468 cases on Friday.

In Yala, Police Colonel Tawee Sodsong, Secretary-General of the SBPAC presented the compensation to relatives of persons affected in three major incidents of violence in 2004, in which losses partly incurred due to actions by officials representing the state.

Cash awards were paid to families of 442 persons killed in the incidents. The government’s Southern Border Center verified the information in all cases before endorsing the cash award.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-19

Edited by Buchholz

Compensation is one part and very welcome.

The other part is justice and was not served at all.

NOBODY is taken to court and given a fair trial.

NOBODY has been found guilty of anything.

Justice, as usual was swept under the carpet.