Don Mueang Airport Ready To Open For Service On Oct 1

webfact

Don Mueang Airport ready to open for service on October 1

Bangkok_International_Airport%2C_terminal_1_arrivals-KayEss-2.jpeg

Don Mueang. File photo, source: wikimedia

BANGKOK, 18 August 2012 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry has affirmed that the Don Mueang Airport will be ready for full commercial operation again at the beginning of October, as planned.

Transport Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan said on Friday that 14 airlines and aviation-related agencies, including Airports of Thailand PLC (AOT), Aeronautical Radio of Thailand Ltd, the Immigration Bureau, and the Customs Department, are ready to move or expand their operations to Don Mueang Airport on October 1st, as planned.

Deputy Transport Minister Chatchart Sithipan added that the latest meetings of all concerned parties found there were as many as 98 issues to resolve.

He said that, until Don Mueang Airport is officially reopened, the AOT is responsible for the follow-up of all progresses in solving every problem.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-18 footer_n.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Re-opening?" Its been open for a long time since the flooding ended.

Quite correct, in fact, except for the period last year when the government converted it to a flying boat base, DMK hasn't actually closed.

What the headline should have said is "Don Mueang to be ready for full commercial operation by October 1st."

• Like 1

"He said that, until Don Mueang Airport is officially reopened, the AOT is responsible for the follow-up of all progresses in solving every problem."

So who is responsible for fixing problems once it officially re-opens ? Nobody, as usual, I guess.

I live in Lak-si/Don Muang. Planes have been taking off early hours and continually all day for 4 months.

However, no biggies!!

No 747/Airbus 380 etc.

That tarmac was under water for 4 months, and the water level is still just below the surface. (Tarmac?? What am I saying? Concrete slabs nore like...)

I wouldn't want to be in the first month's landings of the big planes landing at DM International Airport.... ;)

Subsidently, there may be a risk.

-mel. sick.gif

ooooops..... spelling error - I meant 'subsequently', of course. clap2.gif

• Like 1

I frequently operate a light aircraft from Don Muang, and have done so for the past 5 years on and off.

The standard of the runways, 21 Left and 21 Right has been and continues to be excellent.

Runway 21 Left was the most affected by the flooding last year, since it was partialy underwater for several weeks. The crown of Runway 21 Right remained mostly dry during the worst of the flooding, and was used immediately after the airport reopened, whilst Runway 21 Left was completely resurfaced.

The process was reversed earlier this year, and Runway 21 Right has now been completely resurfaced.

Both runways are now fully operational, and I have no hesitation operating out of this airport.

The physical orientation of the runways, and the location of the airport itself is very good. 80% of the time the prevailing winds are straight down the runway, which is ideal. Whoever conceived of its location was very perceptive, whether by design or accident.

In terms of flying in and out of Don Muang from a technical perspective, it is a non issue.

I think the issues are with the infrastructure for passengers rather than that for the aircraft and pilots. Good to hear from someone that understands these things that the aircraft side is OK. Just hope it's as good for larger planes.

One of the other issues is with connecting flights and transport between both airports.

Terrible airport in a terrible area, and now Air Asia are moving all operations to DMK. Now instead of being only 1 1/2 hours from the airport I am 3 hours from the airport. Thanks AirAsia, thanks Don Muang, you've just lost a good customer.

How about some cheese with that whine. Is Air Asia really that special to you?

Yes, it WAS.. I fly frequently with them for work, and chose to live in the area that I am in due to the easy access and short distance to Suvarnabhumi. Now I will have to change airlines or add more time to my travels to work...If you had a job which relied heavily on air travel then you would understand my point.

Don Muang had its shortcomings but hey, I loved the airport as probably a number of the others here.

Can't help it to feel nostalgic over this airport.

well it pups and places had grown in evolution...every time you could find a corner they you didn't know before.

I think it was lovely, while the new airport looks to artificial....

Terrible airport in a terrible area, and now Air Asia are moving all operations to DMK. Now instead of being only 1 1/2 hours from the airport I am 3 hours from the airport. Thanks AirAsia, thanks Don Muang, you've just lost a good customer.

Yes, it WAS.. I fly frequently with them for work, and chose to live in the area that I am in due to the easy access and short distance to Suvarnabhumi. Now I will have to change airlines or add more time to my travels to work...If you had a job which relied heavily on air travel then you would understand my point.

OH! Now that you put it that way. I under stand.

Will it be cheddar, jack, or swiss.

Edited by dcutman

I frequently operate a light aircraft from Don Muang, and have done so for the past 5 years on and off.

The standard of the runways, 21 Left and 21 Right has been and continues to be excellent.

Runway 21 Left was the most affected by the flooding last year, since it was partialy underwater for several weeks. The crown of Runway 21 Right remained mostly dry during the worst of the flooding, and was used immediately after the airport reopened, whilst Runway 21 Left was completely resurfaced.

The process was reversed earlier this year, and Runway 21 Right has now been completely resurfaced.

Both runways are now fully operational, and I have no hesitation operating out of this airport.

The physical orientation of the runways, and the location of the airport itself is very good. 80% of the time the prevailing winds are straight down the runway, which is ideal. Whoever conceived of its location was very perceptive, whether by design or accident.

In terms of flying in and out of Don Muang from a technical perspective, it is a non issue.

I think the issues are with the infrastructure for passengers rather than that for the aircraft and pilots. Good to hear from someone that understands these things that the aircraft side is OK. Just hope it's as good for larger planes.

One of the other issues is with connecting flights and transport between both airports.

That may well prove to be a massive problem Particularly for people with lots of luggage.. Also going to Pattaya will require a more expensive airline or more expensive land travel

Technically from a 'light aircraft' point of view, of course. Would that be a Cessna or similar, or a SAAB private?

Did you land or take off with a 380 recently??

-mel.

What may be a possibility here, is politically motivated.

Ayutthaya, Phatumtani, Rangsit, Meuang Ake, Don Muang etc got the water sent to them last year.

If there is another flood, and it was sent to those areas again, then there would be mayhem and uncontrollable anger - from many millions.

Now, if Don Muang is a new International hub the water can be redirected west, avoiding last year's hit areas, and flooding the west - with a risk to Suvarnabhumi. But that wouldn't be a problem in 2 or 3 month's time, as the airport could redirect flights and passengers to the new NEW Don Muang International Airport, that is water free and without complaints from the nothern districts above it.

That's cool! clap2.gif

Only cos I live here :(

-mel.

post-13-0-31731300-1345290760_thumb.jpg

Must be about 10 years since last visit to the " Don" but at least it looks like the bus services are still running...

....did they ever stop.?...FYI.

There are four bus routes which cover four main areas of Bangkok:

Route A1 (South): Don Muang – Silom

Route A2 (West): Don Muang – Sanam Luang (Grand Palace)

Route A3 (East): Don Muang- Phra Khanong (Sukhumvit)

Route A4: Don Muang – Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lamphong)

Roll on.......a new era of fun...

OH! Now that you put it that way. I under stand.

Will it be cheddar, jack, or swiss.

I'm more of a Danish Blue man.

Don Muang had its shortcomings but hey, I loved the airport as probably a number of the others here.

Can't help it to feel nostalgic over this airport.

well it pups and places had grown in evolution...every time you could find a corner they you didn't know before.

I think it was lovely, while the new airport looks to artificial....

I couldn't agree more... I arrived the first day after Suvarnabhumie officially opened and it like I arrived in some kind of cold and sterile factory.

Don Muang felt cosily home. It had personality, that's the least I could say.

• Like 1

I live in Lak-si/Don Muang. Planes have been taking off early hours and continually all day for 4 months.

However, no biggies!!

No 747/Airbus 380 etc.

That tarmac was under water for 4 months, and the water level is still just below the surface. (Tarmac?? What am I saying? Concrete slabs nore like...)

I wouldn't want to be in the first month's landings of the big planes landing at DM International Airport.... wink.png

Subsidently, there may be a risk.

-mel. sick.gif

ooooops..... spelling error - I meant 'subsequently', of course. clap2.gif

Is this an attempt to spread fallse information or are you unaware of the activities at DMK?

Thai Airways Technical Department currently conducts aircraft maintenance and provides services for THAI as well as customer airlines in four hangars located at Don Muang Airport, Bangkok. The AB380 is serviced at BKK for obvious reasons. The runway at DMK is too small to accomodate the aircraft, just like most airports.The RTAF also uses DMK as a major base and maintenance center. Air Asia has not operated large aircraft on a domestic or regional route since inception.

.....Only 40 minutes from Swampy to Don Muang on my last mad minibus transfer.......actually the driver was not too bad.... And if all domestic airlines are moving to DM we/you dont have any choice.

Any idea if any other domestics apart from AirAsia are flying from DM?

.....I believe that is the whole point of the exercise............to move ALL domestic airline operators to DM to ease congestion at Soowaanapoom.