Phuket Airport B5.7Bn Expansion 'Likely To Start Next Year'

webfact

Phuket Airport B5.7bn expansion 'likely to start next year'

Phuket Gazette

ap.jpeg

A decision as to which contractor will carry out the 5.7-billion-baht upgrade is expected to be announced on Thursday. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- The 5.7-billion-baht expansion of Phuket International Airport is likely to begin next year, and take two and half years to complete, the Senate Standing Committee on Transportation was told this week.

The Standing Committee, led by Committee Chairman Kecha Saksomboon, heard the news at a high-profile meeting at Phuket Airport on Wednesday.

“The 5.7-billion-baht expansion project has now passed its tender offer process,” explained Wing Commander Pratheep Wichittho, Deputy Director of Airports of Thailand (AoT) Public Co Ltd*, which operates Phuket Airport.

“On August 23, the relevant authorities will consider and decide which construction company will be selected. I believe the project will start next year. The terms of the tender stipulate that construction take no longer than 31 months,” he added.

In light of the impending major construction work, Mr Pratheep explained that all commercial business contracts and concessions to operate taxi and rental car areas at the airport will be extended for only another six months.

Phuket Airport Director Pratuang Sornkham told the meeting, attended by Phuket Senator Thanyarat Achariyachai and Ministry of Transport Inspector-General Sumpun Pongthai, as well as officers from other relevant departments, that more seats had already been installed in the departure lounges and the rest rooms have been renovated.

“We expect nine million people to use the airport this year,” he said.

Once completed, the expansion project is expected to boost passenger capacity at Phuket Airport to 12 million travellers a year.

However, Committee Chairman Kecha said the main purpose of the senatorial visit was to hear the complaint against the airport administration for considering allowing 30 more metered taxis to serve passengers at the airport.

Prakop Punyawai, who presented himself as the “managing director” of the Phuket Car Service Cooperative (PCS), said, “The AOT is considering allowing 30 more metered taxis to serve the airport, but according to the concession we have with AOT, if you allow 30 more metered taxis to serve the airport, you must allow us to boost our numbers by 60 vehicles.

“Under the current concession we have, we now pay the AOT 1.5 million baht a month. This is a very high price,” Mr Prakorp said.

Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) chief Teerayut Prasertpol explained that his office was willing to allow the 30 new metered taxis. The PLTO’s permission is required as the total number operating in the province is regulated.

However, Mr Teerayut said that so far none of the 30 new metered taxis had been registered with his office as commercial vehicles.

The complaint by PCS follows the Phuket Taxi Meter (PTM) Service Co Ltd filing an official request on June 6 to add 30 cars to their fleet of 80 metered taxis at the airport.

The move to boost the taxi fleet came as part of the company’s negotiations to renew its concession. PTM’s current concession is set to expire on September 30.

The Senate Standing Committee acknowledged that it understood the complaint, but did not comment on any remedial action to be taken.

* Airports of Thailand (AoT) is the public company nominated by the Ministry of Transport to operate several of Thailand’s busiest airports, including Phuket International Airport.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...year-16695.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-18

However, Committee Chairman Kecha said the main purpose of the senatorial visit was to hear the complaint against the airport administration for considering allowing 30 more metered taxis to serve passengers at the airport.

Prakop Punyawai, who presented himself as the “managing director” of the Phuket Car Service Cooperative (PCS), said, “The AOT is considering allowing 30 more metered taxis to serve the airport, but according to the concession we have with AOT, if you allow 30 more metered taxis to serve the airport, you must allow us to boost our numbers by 60 vehicles.

The airport is old and looks like crap, but the real mission of the AOT was to hear about a complaint about metered taxis that the "airport limousine" non metered "service" filed? Unbelievable how F upped AOT and all involved are. Greed and more greed, is all they seem to care about. What about the flying public that have to use that old sorry excuse for an airport? Obviously no concern for them or what they would like to be done...

metered taxis @ airport ? but do they use them ? first time i heard about it ... every small transport is 600 baht and up

I've been using them for years. They pick me up at my house in Rawai as well as deliver me from the airport for 500 Baht with tip...

I think the actual meter reading was 430 Baht. So, I'm good with 500 Baht!

Edited by Jimi007

If they are picking the construction company this week why wait until next year to start? With a 31 month time frame it is going to cut into two high seasons anyway. I wonder if the expansion includes building a new car park above the existing one & make the stucture strong enough to build a third level in future.

metered taxis @ airport ? but do they use them ? first time i heard about it ... every small transport is 600 baht and up

When you exit the airport, turn right and walk straight all the way till you reach a Taxi booth that says "Metered Taxis". They do not actually use the meters but you can get a cab for between 400-500 Baht.