Ebay Is No Longer An Auction Site

maidu

Actually, for a number of years now, Ebay has ceased to be an auction site. Try it, you'll see. For nearly every item, it will suggest the next highest bid. You, the client, enter that amount. Then you're told there's yet a higher amount. You over-bid that amount, and then you're told there's yet a higher amount, and so on. It can happen dozens or hundreds of times in a row, for just one item.

It they want to call it a frustrating for-sale site, then they can do that. But to call it an 'auction' site is mis-representative. Perhaps now is a good time for some innovative person to start a web site which features auctions, because e-bay quit doing that a long time ago.

Actually, for a number of years now, Ebay has ceased to be an auction site. Try it, you'll see. For nearly every item, it will suggest the next highest bid. You, the client, enter that amount. Then you're told there's yet a higher amount. You over-bid that amount, and then you're told there's yet a higher amount, and so on. It can happen dozens or hundreds of times in a row, for just one item.

ha ha ha.. I thinkl you need to brush up on the concept of what an auction is...

That is precisely how they work.. If you dont want to keep entering one by one put in your max amount you will pay, then in one go it will tell you if someone else is already prepared to pay higher.

I mean.. Even when you typed this, did it not seem screamingly obvious thats how auctions work ??

Actually Ebay is just stating what next higher bid increment must be (i.e., $1, 50 cents, etc) in the auction, not to imply that increment will result in you being the highest bidder of the moment because other folks may have entered a "max bid amount" which exceeds what your bid...so, your bid immediately gets outbid by that other person thanks to technology. Ebay is still an auction site, but it's just not the type like you see on TV where individual folks are bidding against each other in a room.

Edited by Pib

Maybe the OP is Thai and doesn't understand what a western auction is. I have bought many vehicles at Thai auctions and they handle everything very differently.

For example Suziki Finance use a system where bidders make one bid only, which they write down on a slip of paper and place in a basket immediately before the auctioneer opens the bidding for that lot. The auctioneer's assistants then quickly unfold each piece of paper announcing the bids out loud. Each piece of paper has the bidder's reference number on it. The highest bidder's slip is then immediately stapled to the vehicle paperwork. The bidder is not identified. It is quick and efficient.

Auctions can take many different forms, not all of which follow the conventional western format.

Maybe the OP is Thai and doesn't understand what a western auction is. I have bought many vehicles at Thai auctions and they handle everything very differently.

For example Suziki Finance use a system where bidders make one bid only, which they write down on a slip of paper and place in a basket immediately before the auctioneer opens the bidding for that lot. The auctioneer's assistants then quickly unfold each piece of paper announcing the bids out loud. Each piece of paper has the bidder's reference number on it. The highest bidder's slip is then immediately stapled to the vehicle paperwork. The bidder is not identified. It is quick and efficient.

Auctions can take many different forms, not all of which follow the conventional western format.

That sounds great for the seller, awful for the buyer, as you might end up paying a lot more than you needed to (ie if the second highest bidder was 50K and you wrote down 100K, but could of had it for 51K)

That sounds great for the seller, awful for the buyer, as you might end up paying a lot more than you needed to (ie if the second highest bidder was 50K and you wrote down 100K, but could of had it for 51K)

deleted

Edited by tinfoilhat

What you describe is an auction. eBay makes it easy for you to leave your highest bid and then they just bid on your behalf so that you don;t have to sit at your PC all week. Can't see what you're complaining about. It works fine.

lol, how would you expect an auction to work?

Ebay shows the current bid, and then, just under the blank space for the client's (your) new bid, it very clearly states: "enter US $ xx.xx or more"

$xx.xx is a dollar higher than the highest bid listed. When the bidder enters the suggested amount, it's very often met with red font saying: "You've been outbid. Don't let it get away - bid again!" .....and it happens over and over.

It's false advertising (calling it an auction site) and deceptive business practice, because it's suggesting the next highest bid amount, but it knows that's not the next highest bid. It's also deceptive because it states clearly what the highest bid is, but it is in fact NOT THE HIGHEST BID. Where I come from, we call that lying.

In sum, Ebay is deceptive on several levels. They should be investigated and fined. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been often frustrated, trying to bid on items.

I've heard of other types of auctions. If Ebay is doing another type of selling, then it should be forthright and make that clear. Instead, it's deceptive, like a common practice of shysters called . 'BAIT AND SWITCH' They should change their domain to: www.baitandswitch.com

The bigger problem is that just professional shops are selling there and rarely private person.

Often it is pretty expensive...

So true. Ebay should just quit the charade, and call themselves a 'for sale' or a retail site, as that's what they are, essentially.

Edited by maidu
  • Like 1

Ebay shows the current bid, and then, just under the blank space for the client's (your) new bid, it very clearly states: "enter US $ xx.xx or more"

$xx.xx is a dollar higher than the highest bid listed. When the bidder enters the suggested amount, it's very often met with red font saying: "You've been outbid. Don't let it get away - bid again!" .....and it happens over and over.

It's false advertising (calling it an auction site) and deceptive business practice, because it's suggesting the next highest bid amount, but it knows that's not the next highest bid. It's also deceptive because it states clearly what the highest bid is, but it is in fact NOT THE HIGHEST BID. Where I come from, we call that lying.

You are confusing the "Maximum bid" with the "Highest bid"

The "Highest Bid" is the current amount that will win the item. The person with the "Highest Bid" may be will to pay more than that amount, this is their "Maximum Bid".

Lets says an item is for sale with a reserve of $10. Bidder 1 comes a long and says "I'd be willing to up to $25 for that". Initially he will only be required to pay $10 because there are no other bids.

Bidder 2 comes along and he can see that Bidder 1 has already bid $10; but he cannot see that bidder 1 is willing to pay up to $25.

Obviously he must "enter US $ 10.xx or more" anything else would be below the existing bid; if he enters "$12" ebay will log this bid, but then see that Bidder 1 is willing to pay up to $25, so automatically logs a bid for this Bidder 1 of $13, and thus Bidder 2 has been out bid.

You will only be the winner of the auction you are willing to pay more than all the other bidders are willing to pay, this is the nature of an auction. Ebay uses the hidden "Maximum bid" so that you don't end up paying more than you have to for an item.

There is nothing deceptive or "bait and switch" about this. They don't say "If you enter more than $xx.xx you will win this auction"

But not always, because in a second round they might would have gone even higher. Lets see you see all the others all look bored so all think the others aren't too interested and place a very low bid.

Also on the Western system there are a lot people who simply can't loose. In Thailand they would not only loose they would also loose face, so my guess is that the western system would bring even higher money for the seller.

The "Highest Bid" is the current amount that will win the item. The person with the "Highest Bid" may be will to pay more than that amount, this is their "Maximum Bid".

Lets says an item is for sale with a reserve of $10. Bidder 1 comes a long and says "I'd be willing to up to $25 for that". Initially he will only be required to pay $10 because there are no other bids.

Bidder 2 comes along and he can see that Bidder 1 has already bid $10; but he cannot see that bidder 1 is willing to pay up to $25.

Obviously he must "enter US $ 10.xx or more" anything else would be below the existing bid; if he enters "$12" ebay will log this bid, but then see that Bidder 1 is willing to pay up to $25, so automatically logs a bid for this Bidder 1 of $13, and thus Bidder 2 has been out bid.

You will only be the winner of the auction you are willing to pay more than all the other bidders are willing to pay, this is the nature of an auction. Ebay uses the hidden "Maximum bid" so that you don't end up paying more than you have to for an item.

There is nothing deceptive or "bait and switch" about this. They don't say "If you enter more than $xx.xx you will win this auction"

I read your post, and understand it. You're trying to justify the convoluted bidding process used by Ebay. In contrast, I'm longing for plain speaking and a return to how Ebay was for the first years it operated. Ebay realized it could make more money (from commissions) if it had a clandestine bidding system. I still maintain Ebay is being deceptive.

The 'high bid' should be shown as the 'high bid' - instead of an actual unshown high bid, that the buyer is supposed to guess at. Ebay suggests the 'next highest bid' but it (or it's bot) knows that's untrue. It's flat out deceptive and I resent that. Am sure there are many others who also don't like such deviousness.

Ordinarily, I would like a site like Ebay, because I like to buy 2nd hand. However, due to it's deceptive operating method, I'm going elsewhere. If i find an online site which is a real auction site, rather than pseudo auction, I'll let you know, and hope that you'll do the same for me.

Edited by maidu

I read your post, and understand it. You're trying to justify the convoluted bidding process used by Ebay. In contrast, I'm longing for plain speaking and a return to how Ebay was for the first years it operated. Ebay realized it could make more money (from commissions) if it had a clandestine bidding system. I still maintain Ebay is being deceptive.

The 'high bid' should be shown as the 'high bid' - instead of an actual unshown high bid, that the buyer is supposed to guess at. Ebay suggests the 'next highest bid' but it (or it's bot) knows that's untrue. It's flat out deceptive and I resent that. Am sure there are many others who also don't like such deviousness.

Ebay has been running this automatic bidding system for a LONG time (at least 10 years)

Their bidding processes saves you (the buyer) money, because you only pay what you "have to pay", not what you are "willing to pay".

Why would they "deviously" conspire to make you pay less?

If you want to pay the price you see then look for the "Buy Now" items, as the price listed is the price you pay.

Edited by dave111223

Ordinarily, I would like a site like Ebay, because I like to buy 2nd hand. However, due to it's deceptive operating method, I'm going elsewhere. If i find an online site which is a real auction site, rather than pseudo auction, I'll let you know, and hope that you'll do the same for me.

I think Ebay is great to find companies. I use it a lot to find supplier and buy than outside Ebay. Second hand items are often sold more expensive than the same item new crazy.gif

Don't know how this can happen....maybe people can't loose.

What you describe is an auction. eBay makes it easy for you to leave your highest bid and then they just bid on your behalf so that you don;t have to sit at your PC all week. Can't see what you're complaining about. It works fine.

lol, how would you expect an auction to work?

In sum, Ebay is deceptive on several levels. They should be investigated and fined. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been often frustrated, trying to bid on items.

I've heard of other types of auctions. If Ebay is doing another type of selling, then it should be forthright and make that clear. Instead, it's deceptive, like a common practice of shysters called . 'BAIT AND SWITCH' They should change their domain to: www.baitandswitch.com

The bigger problem is that just professional shops are selling there and rarely private person.

So true. Ebay should just quit the charade, and call themselves a 'for sale' or a retail site, as that's what they are, essentially.

I cant believe even now its been pointed out to you how it works, and you have had some time to think about it.. Your still seeing anything wrong with this.

When your in a hole, stop digging.

Ebay is obviously too much of a technical challenge for you, perhaps take up tic tac toe or something.

Ebay has been running this automatic bidding system for a LONG time (at least 10 years)

Their bidding processes saves you (the buyer) money, because you only pay what you "have to pay", not what you are "willing to pay".

Why would they "deviously" conspire to make you pay less?

If you want to pay the price you see then look for the "Buy Now" items, as the price listed is the price you pay.

I have been an ebay paypal member since sometime in the late 90s.

Its always been like this.. Not only has it always been like this, thats the only way it could operate fairly without purely live bidding. Which no one has trime for with auction closes happing 24h.

The OP is obviously a bit 'special'.

I've found that there are a lot of shops on Ebay, but the prices they charge are way cheaper than you could buy at a shop on the high street so I don't see a problem with these shops. As a rule of thumb, I've found you will be able to find the item cheaper at the Ebay online virtual shops.

eg

Recently got a Canon lens way cheaper than I could find in the real world.

Also, a tin of Hammerite paint was 1/3 the price at my local hardware store etc

I've found that there are a lot of shops on Ebay, but the prices they charge are way cheaper than you could buy at a shop on the high street so I don't see a problem with these shops. As a rule of thumb, I've found you will be able to find the item cheaper at the Ebay online virtual shops.

eg

Sorry I was too tired when I wrote it and mixed two different things together....

The shops with "buy now" are usually cheaper.

But auctions are usually unreasonable expensive and rarely private person sell (at least in Germany where you have the revenue department knocking on your door if you sell too much....So not many real cheap second hand things.

But good deals for new things.

But not always, because in a second round they might would have gone even higher. Lets see you see all the others all look bored so all think the others aren't too interested and place a very low bid.

Also on the Western system there are a lot people who simply can't loose. In Thailand they would not only loose they would also loose face, so my guess is that the western system would bring even higher money for the seller.

It's not about it being a 'western' system: you're talking about two different bidding systems - open and sealed - both prevalent in the west.

eg

The shops with "buy now" are usually cheaper.

But good deals for new things.

Yeah, good deals for new things with "buy now".

On bidding, in my experience I've usually been outbid, maybe just my inexperience or they were using EZSniper or some such program.

The only time I won on bidding was on a copy of the Merck Index which can be quite expensive but I picked it up for £1. No one else bid for it for some reason, maybe a bit of an esoteric item.

Edited by katana

The OP should simply put in the highest amount they are willing to pay for the item. No need to enter multiple bids at all. If the OP puts in his/her MAXIMUM bid from the start, and then finds there is a higher bidder, then nothing lost.... just bid on another auction or use the buy-it-now button. Not exactly complicated unless you choose it to be so.

Proxy bidding:

"Definition:

Proxy bidding is the part of the eBay

bidding system that most often confuses new members or bidders. Under the proxy bidding system:

• A bidder tells eBay the absolute maximum that he or she is ever willing to bid for an item.
  • eBay places a bid on his or her behalf.
  • eBay continues to bid on his or her behalf, whenever he or she is outbid by another member's bid, until the maximum is exceeded or the auction is won.

Keep in mind that eBay automatically performs proxy bidding on behalf of every bidder in an auction. The net effect of this technology is to remove the need for bidders to actually monitor auctions in real time in order to win them at fair market values."