Are Thais Still Scared Of Aids

Surin steve

Same as above post I never take chances

One scary thing about the facts above though what if the girl had HIV and was taking medication ,if she gets a farang boyfriend and for what ever reason dos'nt want him to know she will show up negative on a blood test could the farang then catch HIV from her

That's not true. The hiv test will still have a positive reading. On the other hand someone on medication with a high CD4 number and undetectable viral load (<40 copies /ml) is not infectious like a person with a high viral load and a low CD4 number. On top of that many positive people who never tested don't know their status and transmit unknowingly. It is all more complicated than it seems. If interested do your research, then post.

Same as above post I never take chances

One scary thing about the facts above though what if the girl had HIV and was taking medication ,if she gets a farang boyfriend and for what ever reason dos'nt want him to know she will show up negative on a blood test could the farang then catch HIV from her

That's not true. The hiv test will still have a positive reading. On the other hand someone on medication with a high CD4 number and undetectable viral load (<40 copies /ml) is not infectious like a person with a high viral load and a low CD4 number. On top of that many positive people who never tested don't know their status and transmit unknowingly. It is all more complicated than it seems. If interested do your research, then post.

Not true! There has been a study in Switzerland with 2'000 HIV patients (recently published and discussed in various newspapers) with regards to the new medicaments and it shows that for over 90% of the patients, the HIV viruses have almost completely disappeared from the blood and thus, those people are regarded to not be infectious for others. Only the most sensitive tests will show that these people still bear the HIV virus. However it is also noted that stopping to take the medicaments will bring the Virus back within weeks. Thus even a HIV test - if not very sensitive - can show false-negative results

It would be useful to see some recent numbers on rates in Thailand especially in the p4p scene.

Also why cant the government put pressure on bar and go go owners to make testing for STD's mandatory along with better awareness? I'm sure there must be some small cut of those big bar fines that can actually be put to good use.

There are mandatory tests for bar girls in alot of bars and go-go but I agree it should be all bars by law

I've known a LOT of bar owners & I've only known ONE that actually had the doctor come and do the check right in his bar.

I'm betting a LOT of them who go to the doctor on their lonesome come back with a clean bill of health even when they have something. VERY easy to pay the doctor to say you're clean, especially in Thailand.

Why any guy would choose to risk their health by having sex with a prostitute is difficult to understand.

Why any of these guys choose to increase the risk, by not wearing a condom, is impossible to understand.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Not true! There has been a study in Switzerland with 2'000 HIV patients (recently published and discussed in various newspapers) with regards to the new medicaments and it shows that for over 90% of the patients, the HIV viruses have almost completely disappeared from the blood and thus, those people are regarded to not be infectious for others. Only the most sensitive tests will show that these people still bear the HIV virus. However it is also noted that stopping to take the medicaments will bring the Virus back within weeks. Thus even a HIV test - if not very sensitive - can show false-negative results

You are confusing the results of an antibody based test with Viral load test.

HIV+ people who have been on antiretroviral medication for some years will indeed have low or even undetectable viral loads, but they are stiull antibody positive. Once formed, the antibodies are for life. The HIV tests used for screening and diagnosis are antibody tests. A false negative result is likely only when the test is done so early in infection that the antibodies haven't yet formed. Hence the recommendation that people with a negative result get a repeat test 3 months later.

Simple fact is you are taking a risk with your life if you have sex in Thailand with numerous partners and don't use adequate protection.

The risk might be with the numerous partners, if you are having unprotected intercourse, with numerous partners.

You are confusing the results of an antibody based test with Viral load test.

HIV+ people who have been on antiretroviral medication for some years will indeed have low or even undetectable viral loads, but they are stiull antibody positive. Once formed, the antibodies are for life. The HIV tests used for screening and diagnosis are antibody tests. A false negative result is likely only when the test is done so early in infection that the antibodies haven't yet formed. Hence the recommendation that people with a negative result get a repeat test 3 months later.

Thank you, Sheryl, for correcting my mistakes. Learned something more :-)

I never got any sex education because I went to an all girls Catholic school run by nuns. sad.png I'm going to hell apparently.

So did i and i am male. Aids is rife in Thailand along with many other stds . ask any Thai lady about smear tests, see what answer you get, whats a smear test. Its all down to education, but that's for another thread. even condoms don't guarantee anything. even oral sex can give you stds.

Edited by Thongkorn

I never got any sex education because I went to an all girls Catholic school run by nuns. sad.png I'm going to hell apparently.

So did i and i am male. Aids is rife in Thailand along with many other stds . ask any Thai lady about smear tests, see what answer you get, whats a smear test. Its all down to education, but that's for another thread. even condoms don't guarantee anything. even oral sex can give you stds.

You are male and went to an all girl Catholic school?

You must have thought that you were in heaven already .