Question Concerning Criminal Background For A Visa?

I'm hoping to expat to Thailand, but I'm aware that ANY criminal history is grounds for denial. I have some substance abuse-related things from my younger days that concern me, so I will try and have them officially "sealed." In America, this means that no one other than law enforcement has access to them. They're not supposed to appear on background checks unless being performed by a law enforcement agency. I'm unsure about this whole visa process, so I don't know how it operates. Will the records be sealed when the Thai Consulate requests a background check? I don't know how they obtain it or if it concerns a law enforcement agency. I know it's a tricky question, but it's very pertinent to gaining a visa there.

Thanks.

Thailand normally doesn't require a criminal background check for a visa. The only visa that requiers a criminal background check is the O-A visa for people over 50 years old. But people 50 years or older can apply for a non-O visa instead, which doesn't require a criminal record check.

Also from people wanting to work as a teacher a criminal record check can be asked.

Okay, lets assume I want a Permanent Resident visa and wish to teach. Under these circumastances would the records still be safely sealed? I have no personal experience dealing with their Immigration, but all the info I've read indicates a background check.

Thanks for your reply(ies).

There is no permanent residency visa.

I can't answer your question about what will happen if you get the documents sealed. That would problably depend on the law of the state you where convicted in or if it was a federal case federal law.

i had numerous kinds of visa now on retirement never had to shwo any criminal record checks. Also had non -0 multiple gets 15 months, 1year visa based on marriage, multiple entry tourist visa's non ever asked for criminla checks. Never heard of it for a long term visa.

for teaching maybe teaching forum better.

Dont know why its pertinant to getting a visa here, quite a few residants here have no problem have far worse back grounds than you.

Have a federal pardon in Canada, records are sealed, police checks in Canada show nothing, nor would police checks with Interpol, etc.....

But in Canada if you are charged with something after the Pardon, all your records become available again, and you have to go thru the whole process again.... The pardon becomes void, been there, done that.

As Mario says no check would be done.

Teaching in Thailand 3 years now, never asked for a police report or check, Managed a hotel, same.

Do not worry, everything is going to be fine.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Just a footnote.....How I found out my pardon had gone thru, although I had not received notice of it...

I was stopped for speeding in Canada, the cop asked if I had a record, I said yes and that I was waiting for a Federal Pardon....The cop did a record check from his cruiser, and told me that my pardon must have gone thru, because it showed nothing, no previous records.

He thanked me for my honesty, gave me my ticket and that is how I found out that I had received the pardon. A month or so later, I received the letter....

The envelope had never been sealed, the glue never used, I thought that is typical of the Canadian Government, no privacy whatsoever......

I'm surprised the postman did not tell me, I had the pardon.....he he....

The check I did was I went to my local police department, and asked for the criminal check. Went back two days later and they had a letter signed that said no issues. It was short and simple. That was what I was doing for the Teaching "visa". I ended up not going and just took a holiday.

I appreciate the sharing of your experience. I too want to teach English there, so I'm supposing I'll need the background check. gk makes it sound like you take care of acquiring the report yourself as opposed to a Consulate doing it however way they do it.

Also, the pardon and sealing of records is slightly different in the US. A pardon actually deletes the record(s), but having them sealed means that only law enforcement (like the cop who pulled Cola over) has access. They effectively become off limits to employers, etc. This is why I ask since I do not know how a Consulate would obtain them and what if any procedure they'd use.

Wow, this Thailand stuff is puzzling. I read one thing one place and another thing at another. For instance, one site said that you needed proof of $780 (converted in Bhat)monthly to obtain a long term visa. Another place is saying 80,000 Bhat. I have 25,500 Bhat in pension and plan to teach ESL. How do I fit in considering this?

There is no long term visa unless you are talking about retirement and you can not normally work on such a visa entry. All visa entry requires proof of 20k in baht so that would be the $780 amount but it is almost never checked on entry and most Consulates also do not check unless you really look down and out. 800k in bank or 65k pension would be for 1 year retirement extensions of stay. There is no set financial requirement for teachers to obtain one year extensions of stay for work.

The Thai government does not do any back grounds checks related to visas or even permanent residency. You have to get those yourself. If you plan on teaching you should get one before you leave the US, Some states have websites set up so you can do a criminal records check online for a small fee (Texas $3.25). The same website would give you info on getting a records check that requires fingerprints.

I can't answer your question about what will happen if you get the documents sealed. That would problably depend on the law of the state you where convicted in or if it was a federal case federal law.

Mario is correct. Some of it will depend on Federal vs state arrests, however even if "sealed" the State Department will have full access to any records via your fingerprints.

• 2 weeks later...

For Thailand there most certainly is, however, unlike many western countries permanent residency in Thailand is something that takes a long time to get, possibly many years and only once someone has made a committment to live and work in Thailand. An initial stay in Thailand to work, such as a teacher, requires the correct visa. I don't think a foreigner is eligible for permanent residency if they've never resided in Thailand before.

Permanent residence permit is what you are thinking about - it is not a visa and, among other things, requires that the applicant has lived in Thailand for 3 continuous years on extensions of stay prior to application.

Permanent residence permit is what you are thinking about - it is not a visa and, among other things, requires that the applicant has lived in Thailand for 3 continuous years on extensions of stay prior to application.

And paid tax in Thailand in most cases