Pajero Sport - New Tires /Wheels, Recommendations?

SoloFlyer

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should go without saying that tyre very dependent on driving style. unnecessary braking, acceleration with harsh cornering all contribute to increased wear. Typically I see many drivers approaching red lights and instead of decelerating to fall in behind waiting traffic drive ahead at speed and brake hard in the last 50m or so.

A Thai lady friend of ours asked me to look at the tyres on her one year old Fortuner 3.0. The Toyota agent had told her they needed to be replaced. When I checked them I was amazed at how worn they were. Standard Dueller H/T with bald spots; front types down to the wear bars rear tyres with chunks missing. They were replaced at less than 30,000 kms.

Only later when my wife and I accompanied her on a trip did I see that her driving style was to blame. She has no technical understanding of vehicle mechanics an 'paid' for her driving license. As far as she is concerned the right hand pedal is to go forward and must be floored each time starting from rest with gear changes only at engine limiting and the centre pedal is for slowing down from speed by pressing really hard. She asked why her brakes judder a lot and I tried to explain that the ABS was functioning most of the timerolleyes.gif

Pick the best old tire for the spare and you can sell the “new” spare to the tire shop….

I shall keep the original spare as spare. It has been under cover for almost all of its life unlike the 'runners that are exposed to sunshine.

Many tyre manufactures advise tyres should be replaced at a calender life of around six years regardless of tread condition due to weakening of the compound due to exposure to weathering and especially UV rays (actinic degradation!) but I would have to be a real believer to do that!

"That is excellent mileage. Were they the Dueler H/P (TRD) or the standard Fortuner Dueler H/T?

Any other Dueler H/P users with comments on tyre mileage and performance?"

​They were the Standard Fortuner Dueler H/T. I now have Michelins bolted onto her and like the ride much more. Will I get the same mileage as before, don't know and not sure I care. It rides great and feels very safe doing a good clip on the highway though Lampang and coming into Lamphun when driving to Cm for the monthly trip home.

....and that brings us to Tire buying 101! coffee1.gif

To know the answers to your questions, you have to check out reputable tire rating / ranking sites.

There are several categories of performance by which tires are rated that have to be considered in order to make an informed decision when buying tires: Their expected tread life, noise and 'ride' comfort levels, steering and cornering responsiveness, hydroplaning resistance and its wet and dry traction levels, for example.

Using the above criteria, as far as 'Highway All-season' tires are concerned, the overall performance of the Bridgestone Dueler H/T D 694 II was ranked at 43rd (out of 56)! If you liked this tire, that is good....but be aware that there are 42 other tires models rated to perform, (overall), even better! In fact, the Michelin Cross Terrain tires, often recommended here, are ranked the overall 5th best 'Highway All-season' tire in this survey of people who have driven millions of miles on the ranked tires.

Pick the best old tire for the spare and you can sell the “new” spare to the tire shop….

I shall keep the original spare as spare. It has been under cover for almost all of its life unlike the 'runners that are exposed to sunshine.

Many tyre manufactures advise tyres should be replaced at a calender life of around six years regardless of tread condition due to weakening of the compound due to exposure to weathering and especially UV rays (actinic degradation!) but I would have to be a real believer to do that!

Be a believer because tire life does deteriorate! To the extent you have kept it 'under cover and out of the sun' may slow down the process somewhat, but humidity and other factors are at work here. Think of an engine 'sitting' for 6 years - its rubber seals and gaskets automatically deteriorate remarkably. Then again, would you buy retail tires that have been sitting on the shelf for 6 years? I would personally consider the well being of the car's passengers and not chance a tire blowout, especially on the roads here in LOS with local motor bikes packed with families swarming all around your vehicle....sad.png

....and that brings us to Tire buying 101! coffee1.gif

To know the answers to your questions, you have to check out reputable tire rating / ranking sites.

There are several categories of performance by which tires are rated that have to be considered in order to make an informed decision when buying tires: Their expected tread life, noise and 'ride' comfort levels, steering and cornering responsiveness, hydroplaning resistance and its wet and dry traction levels, for example.

Using the above criteria, as far as 'Highway All-season' tires are concerned, the overall performance of the Bridgestone Dueler H/T D 694 II was ranked at 43rd (out of 56)! If you liked this tire, that is good....but be aware that there are 42 other tires models rated to perform, (overall), even better! In fact, the Michelin Cross Terrain tires, often recommended here, are ranked the overall 5th best 'Highway All-season' tire in this survey of people who have driven millions of miles on the ranked tires.

I'm curious which tyre rating site you reckon is best. There are quite a few but some ratings are based on owner reviews and some based on testing. Obviously the former would be more subjective.

I'm curious which tyre rating site you reckon is best. There are quite a few but some ratings are based on owner reviews and some based on testing. Obviously the former would be more subjective.

Exacty-koh-ly! thumbsup.gif

That's why it would be best if each consumer satisfies themselves with the 'facts' from the efforts of their personal research.

Edited by thailoht

Think I found the survey you mentioned on tirerack.com. Not sure I would call surveys of buyer opinions facts but they are OK as a guide.

I agree exactly ..... something like this could be a part of several points of reference.

You will start believing once you finally fit the old out of date tyre to your vehicle and it then explodes at high speed.

You will start believing once you finally fit the old out of date tyre to your vehicle and it then explodes at high speed.

No, you have missed the point. Keeping it as a spare means that it would be installed only to replace a punctured tyre that would beproperly repaired and refitted. Meanwhile, I would be driving conservatively knowing the possible risk. Your comment of high speed indicates that is how you drive but I do not. I am retired and in no hurry to go anywhere so, even on long trips, I keep to the national limit or 100 kph where it is reasonable. Meanwhile other Fortuners blast down the outside lane at terminal velocity. If that's what they want it's up to them, just don't run over the top of me to do it.

No, you have missed the point. Keeping it as a spare means that it would be installed only to replace a punctured tyre that would beproperly repaired and refitted. Meanwhile, I would be driving conservatively knowing the possible risk. Your comment of high speed indicates that is how you drive but I do not. I am retired and in no hurry to go anywhere so, even on long trips, I keep to the national limit or 100 kph where it is reasonable. Meanwhile other Fortuners blast down the outside lane at terminal velocity. If that's what they want it's up to them, just don't run over the top of me to do it.

Good for you, I hope in your retirement your reaction times have not slipped as you will them 100% even blowing that out of date tyre at 100km/h.

Well, not retired, but I concur on driving at reasonable speeds.

I prefer arriving a few minutes later, or even an hour or so, than living through an accident and being injured or (worst!) injuring or killing someone because of my selfish haste.

No, you have missed the point .... I would be driving conservatively knowing the possible risk......

..... while understanding your reasoning here, there is an acknowledged high potential risk rate here that can be easily avoided altogether. It's your choice, of course, but the posters here are just trying to influence you to choose the path that reduces added risks to yourself and others.

As an analogy to this situation, if knowingly not replacing an important yet dated backup part were found to occur on an airliner for example, imagine what the right-full fallout would be .... pray-tell it was brought-to-light before said part contributed to a mishap.

I think it best to rotate the original spare in, and always pick the best of the tires being replaced to be the spare. It save a little money, and you always have a relatively new (albeit worn) tire for a spare, you know the spare is aired up, and you know the support mechanism works when you go to use it.

It's all academic. I suspect that most posters here have never removed their spare tyre periodically and hands up all those who have thrown away a 'good' tyre and replaced it with a new cover because it has exceeded five years life from new.

Mine comes out once a month so that I can check the pressure and yes I do throw away a "brand new" tyre if it is past it's used by date much the same as I do with any perishable item.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

With 30psi I would be driving around with almost flat tyres. I have 45psi on each of the 4. As recommended by all shops I been to incl Mitsu itself.

Will check tyre specs later today.

Got a few questions:

- if I get 22" rims with the Yokohama tyres, wouldn't I need to lower the wheelbase itself as well to make it (look) more fit?

- when buying a set of rims in thailand, is a set 4 rims or actually 5 for the spare one? I mean i can't drive I guess on 3x 22" and 1x 16" right? Lol

- would a 22" rim spare and tyre fit in the storage place under the car? Or only fit up to 17"?

- I always get this spray can of tyre shine for free after a carwash, it kinda makes my tyres give a "wet"-look which looks nice and looks clean as well but can this stuff decrease the lifespan of my tyre? Are there any downsides which I might not be aware of ?

- which garage in Bangkok speaks good English and can do a full tyre alignment? Preferable not expensive, max 1k baht.

Thanks my pajero sport friends, wish there was a farang pjs club, as 2nd club next to the Thai club with thousands of members.. Would be nice and show up at their meetings as well and combine those! I say someone register FarangPJS.com or ExpatPajero.com :) :) :)

Hans.

PS. Or even a club for all farang owned cars or just SUVs at farangdriversclub ;)

- Hans

With 30psi I would be driving around with almost flat tyres. I have 45psi on each of the 4. As recommended by all shops I been to incl Mitsu itself.

Got a few questions:

- if I get 22" rims with the Yokohama tyres, wouldn't I need to lower the wheelbase itself as well to make it (look) more fit?

- when buying a set of rims in thailand, is a set 4 rims or actually 5 for the spare one? I mean i can't drive I guess on 3x 22" and 1x 16" right? Lol

- would a 22" rim spare and tyre fit in the storage place under the car? Or only fit up to 17"?

- I always get this spray can of tyre shine for free after a carwash, it kinda makes my tyres give a "wet"-look which looks nice and looks clean as well but can this stuff decrease the lifespan of my tyre? Are there any downsides which I might not be aware of ?

- which garage in Bangkok speaks good English and can do a full tyre alignment? Preferable not expensive, max 1k baht.

Thanks my pajero sport friends, wish there was a farang pjs club, as 2nd club next to the Thai club with thousands of members.. Would be nice and show up at their meetings as well and combine those! I say someone register FarangPJS.com or ExpatPajero.com smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Hans.

PS. Or even a club for all farang owned cars or just SUVs at farangdriversclub wink.png

- Hans

The rule of thumb formula is: [Manufacturers recommended PSI] + [OEM tire load rating] - [New tire load rating]

If calculating new PSI based on that formula and you get 45 PSI, you tires certainly can't be rated for the weight of your car... very dangerous.. My guess is you just have a very uncomfortable ride for no reason though :P

As for 22" spare - that's going to get stolen - it's just a matter of time. Recommend against doing that smile.png

So long as you fit the correct tires on the 22's (265/40R22) you'll retain the same rolling diameter as the stock tire (265/70R16), so could use it, with caution, to get you to a tire shop for repairs.

Edited by IMHO

Hansje, 22"?? Id like to see that.

Changed my wheels out yesterday as above. Great ride and wheels look great. Happy Camper just on looks and feel so far.. And I must give credit to the CNX Yokohama Tire Network - great service.

Will post some pics later today.

Got a few questions:

Thanks my pajero sport friends, wish there was a farang pjs club, as 2nd club next to the Thai club with thousands of members.. Would be nice and show up at their meetings as well and combine those! I say someone register FarangPJS.com or ExpatPajero.com smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Hans.

PS. Or even a club for all farang owned cars or just SUVs at farangdriversclub wink.png

- Hans

Pajero Sport Club has a foreigner sections btw and I've been to a couple of their meets. Most members speak English fairly well and quite often a few foreigners show up :)

Hansje.

Personally I reckon 22" wheels look a bit odd on SUVs and pick ups but that just my opinion.

Regardless of the size you go for, the replacement tyres should have a similar load index to the OEM tyres so the pressure should also be similar.

BTW, my PJS handbook says front tyre pressure of 29 psi and rear 32 - 36 psi.

If you go for a large wheel / low profile tyre, choose the tyres carefully. I had Yokohama Parada Spec X tyres and thought they were excellent.

Recently changed to Toyo Proxes and they do not ride a well. Both have good grip but the Yokos were smoother and quieter.

Hansje.

Personally I reckon 22" wheels look a bit odd on SUVs and pick ups but that just my opinion.

Regardless of the size you go for, the replacement tyres should have a similar load index to the OEM tyres so the pressure should also be similar.

BTW, my PJS handbook says front tyre pressure of 29 psi and rear 32 - 36 psi.

If you go for a large wheel / low profile tyre, choose the tyres carefully. I had Yokohama Parada Spec X tyres and thought they were excellent.

Recently changed to Toyo Proxes and they do not ride a well. Both have good grip but the Yokos were smoother and quieter.

Michelin Latitude Cross which are made in Poland are the best tyre when you need to change for the standard 17 inch wheels on a PJS. They are 100% better than the standard tyre and are just as quiet and only a few hundred baht extra per tyre. These tyres have more grip in the wet in 2 wheel drive than the standard tyre has in 4 wheel drive and as i have done 35,000 Ks on them now i think they will equal or better the 80,000 i got out of the origionals. Great Tyres.

I think they can look OK:

post-163537-0-95372800-1371529100_thumb.

post-163537-0-89443800-1371529126_thumb.

post-163537-0-95082800-1371529172_thumb.

But you can also take it a bit too far:

post-163537-0-53431100-1371529246_thumb.

post-163537-0-43023800-1371529256_thumb.

I can only imagine how bad the ride quality is ;)

• Like 1

attachicon.gifnzow5ilbo4w88hgr23cc.jpg

attachicon.gif3712339616-20b61f862a.jpg

attachicon.gifw4cc3sa1t02ielnvrqi0.jpg

attachicon.gifPajero Sport_a.jpg

attachicon.gifPajero Sport.jpg

I can only imagine how bad the ride quality is wink.png

aren't those 26 inch?

attachicon.gifnzow5ilbo4w88hgr23cc.jpg

attachicon.gif3712339616-20b61f862a.jpg

attachicon.gifw4cc3sa1t02ielnvrqi0.jpg

attachicon.gifPajero Sport_a.jpg

attachicon.gifPajero Sport.jpg

I can only imagine how bad the ride quality is wink.png

aren't those 26 inch?

The last two are, yes, the first ones are 22's though AFAIK.