Thugs On Beach In Evening

wans

It's long known by *some* that the beach is not safe at night and you only need to read crime news archives to see that foreigners are often targets in very violent assaults. While they're are some volunteer tourist police roaming, they cannot be everywhere and I've heard they go home after a few hours anyway. That leaves opportunists many dark hours to make some money from an unsuspecting tourist. Sad but true.

An American friend of mine was involved with a Thai woman and when they broke things off, her real boyfriend attacked the American on the beach in anger over his income being cut off! Amazing Thailand!

It's safe to say, the reason you don't see regular Thais walking on the beach at night is because they know better. Nothing good can come from a beach road walk at night although some of my friends do it every night without any incident.

Now all we need are some BiB that will actually do their jobs and not just collect rent from Beach Rd vendors. whistling.gif

Once they've collected the rent they don't hang around for long they go off to spend it.

Not many BIB around after dark in Pattaya.

Not many BIB around after dark in Pattaya.

With only 300 Pattaya police in total now and taking into account their shifts, areas to work in, different division responsibilities, fixed position stationing etc. you are likely to see less and less of them around in any one spot at any one time.

It is well know that Pattata Beach, especially at night is as dangerous as any place in earth.

Drugged up transvestite muggers, drug dealers, hookers, gangsters, lowlifes, drunks, scammers call this area home.

Even in the daytime there have been plenty of reports of assaults, fraud, scams with police colluding with the criminals.

The Thai police should be of foot patrol 24/7 but they can't be trusted.

It is well know that Pattata Beach, especially at night is as dangerous as any place in earth.

Drugged up transvestite muggers, drug dealers, hookers, gangsters, lowlifes, drunks, scammers call this area home.

Even in the daytime there have been plenty of reports of assaults, fraud, scams with police colluding with the criminals.

The Thai police should be of foot patrol 24/7 but they can't be trusted.

PJ - I like a lot of your posts and your efforts to protect visitors from the jet-ski louts are admirable BUT I don't think the Beach Rd area is anywhere near as bad as your post claims. Sure, take a bit of care and don't act like an idiot, but most people would take sensible precautions when out for a walk in the evening, wherever they are in the world.

I live just off Beach Rd and have walked up and down it 100's of times, at all hours of the day and night, and IMHO its OK - its not a tropical paradise / romatic idyll etc etc but its way better, and safer, than a lot of the posters here would have you believe.

I have to agree with this. I avoid Beach Rd anytime after the witching hour until dawn. Too many zombies about for my liking.

Maybe I`ve been lucky but have never had a problem walking along Beach Road at any time.

Whilst I wouldn`t recommend it for a late night walk, it`s probably safer than some towns back in the UK on a Friday or Saturday night

• Like 1

Should be safe now, i read the report on here extra volunteers being brought in and more police out and about for the coming high season. Sep, Oct, Nov !!! They are very high profile at night on 2nd Road, doing helmet and licence checks upto and after 2am.

Out of 300 officers must be at least double that in volunteers, most of the licence checkes done by volunteers with a real cop with them. how to tell, the ones with out guns are volunteers which seem to be by far the majority.

I also saw two pick up loads of "sex workers" on the way to soi 9 on Friday night, to pay there 100 baht fine. So think should be safe now.

Also the cutting down of the trees.

Still puzzled why many sex workers across the road from soi 9 and apparantly use the loo's in the station for toilet purposes.

Ive been here a long time and in general the beach is safe, Its just the last few weeks that yabad out gangs have been attacking each other on the beach, it happens very quickly and then they are gone but they are so hyped that they will attack anything while they are doing their thing, I have twice in the last week seen tourists attacted as these guys have been doing this, usually in the royal garden area. Having spent time on the beach I also know there is no police presence there at all until about 11 when they come looking for women and ladyboys to take back to the police station and fine

Im not suggesting people stay away from the beach, just saying that these guys are hyped on drugs and are there to commit violence and if you accidently get in their way like the family group with a baby in a pushchair and the asian tourists that I saw you will be attacted

the state of the footpath and policing in what is a very busy tourist area can only be described as pathetic

Edited by wans

Ive been here a long time and in general the beach is safe, Its just the last few weeks that yabad out gangs have been attacking each other on the beach, it happens very quickly and then they are gone but they are so hyped that they will attack anything while they are doing their thing, I have twice in the last week seen tourists attacted as these guys have been doing this, usually in the royal garden area. Having spent time on the beach I also know there is no police presence there at all until about 11 when they come looking for women and ladyboys to take back to the police station and fine

Im not suggesting people stay away from the beach, just saying that these guys are hyped on drugs and are there to commit violence and if you accidently get in their way like the family group with a baby in a pushchair and the asian tourists that I saw you will be attacted

the state of the footpath and policing in what is a very busy tourist area can only be described as pathetic

Yep. It's a family destination... coffee1.gif

Whet ever happened to the jet ski gang that tracked the tourists back to the Marriott hotel to attack them?

They were arrested. Any follow up?

Same-same with the other tourists that have been beaten up, held hostage etc.

Has anybody ever been held accountable?

The government is only putting a bandaid over an open sore. I search the news reports. This way I can get an idea of what is really going on. IMHO - some 'advice' may be coming from people who have 'investments' in Pattaya.

Never any lack of conspiracy theorists on the forum.

• Like 2