National Park Entrance Fees Take A Price Hike Of 150%

Maejo Man

Most countries have a different system for those that pay taxes and those that don't.

True for countries like India, Nepal, Myanmar etc. One Thai argued that it's because Farangs are richer. Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. China abolished official double pricing in 1997 and the gap between their people and the foreigners' incomes have narrowed a lot since then.

maybe China eliminated dual pricing at national parks but every provincial park and local tourist attraction I've been to has had dual pricing for foreigners.

Here's a few other countries besides those mentioned above that have dual pricing:

Indonesia

Laos

Cambodia

Vietnam

Sri Lanka

Syria

Jordan

Egypt

Ecuador

Peru

Costa Rica

and plenty more

Some of these countries charge foreigners as much as 100 times the local price at some tourist attractions yet it doesn't seem to negatively affect tourism.

If a Cambodian manages to get into a Thai National Park at the resident rate, good for him. I don't feel discriminated against.

I don't think it bothers tourist's here in Thailand either. Just grumpy old men on computers that live here.giggle.gif

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, actually, as a someone about to visit Doi Inthanon and enter the park every day for ten days for photographic purposes the cost is starting to be a serious thought. My wife will accompany me and we will need a hire car. This means the entry fee will be 10K, plus I guess a charge for the car. As a visitor I am not really worried about paying a bit more than those that live locally but I can say that we have decided to cut our trip by 50% as a result of these increased charges. This means half the time in a local guest house. Hiring a guide is now out for that amount of time.

We had also started planning our next trip in about a year but are seriously looking at Cambodia instead. But then again we are not rich people and it may not be a problem for most foreign visitors.

We shall be sad not to make our annual visit to Chiang Mai as we have many farang expat friends as well as Thai friends and also Thai family in lamphun, but every year it is getting harder to cover the cost.

If Doi Inthanon is a class "A" park I would hate to see class "B" "C" or "D"

Totally agree - the national parks I've seen are hardly anything to write home about and the facilites provided are usually sub-par. I once visited Australia and was really impressed to see in many places there were public barbies with chopped wood provided and in one park near the Opera house they had electric barbies (no charge). Might have changed as it was some time ago but the Thai parks don't even come close. Vote with your feet and stay away!!!!!!!

I pissed up the wall of one of their historical palaces in order to balance out their bahaviour. It was petty but it made me feel a lot better.

I'm impressed. Some of your Thaier than Thai posts drive me up the wall, but this about-face is almost worthy of a beer and would have been a dead-cert had you have pissed on their shoes. thumbsup.gif

If you're not a Thai resident, it's unfortunate. But you get dual pricing everywhere. I've seen it in both Spain and the UK at tourist destinations.

How about examples because I'm not aware of dual pricing in the UK, unless you're talking about the scamming taxi drivers. To my knowledge it one price fits all - full stop.

Just to qualify what I said, the UK is a multi cultural society and there is no requirement to show IDs so how exactly is this dual pricing applied?

Edited by sysardman

I pissed up the wall of one of their historical palaces in order to balance out their bahaviour. It was petty but it made me feel a lot better.

I'm impressed. Some of your Thaier than Thai posts drive me up the wall, but this about-face is almost worthy of a beer and would have been a dead-cert had you have pissed on their shoes. thumbsup.gif

If you're not a Thai resident, it's unfortunate. But you get dual pricing everywhere. I've seen it in both Spain and the UK at tourist destinations.

How about examples because I'm not aware of dual pricing in the UK, unless you're talking about the scamming taxi drivers. To my knowledge it one price fits all - full stop.

UK universities are the most obvious example (I know many Thai people who have to pay the full fees that are often double the price for Brits).

With regards to tourist attractions, The Tower of London, and other London attractions, offer big discounts for customers arriving into London by train (which basically has the same effect of higher prices for tourists).

Membership of English heritage (for which the minimum contract is 12 months) allows for free entry into hundreds of UK castles / historic buildings, for which tourists have to pay (often not cheap).

Don't forget that (although double pricing does exist in UK) the economic logic is far less convincing (as Brits do not have a much lower average income than the tourists) and hence these examples are actually more difficult to understand / justify than the examples in Thailand.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Do any foreigners actually go to these places?

The double pricing rules me out

As I said earlier in the thread, with regards to people who (like you) avoid purchasing goods / services just because of the discounts for locals, I would like to know whether you would recommend a Thai friend who has been offered a place at Oxford (or any other UK university) to forego that opportunity just because the fees are lower for Brits?

I don't understand how your purchase decision is affected by the price paid by other people. Do you also avoid businesses that offer discounts for students, children or the elderly? What about businesses where every customer pays a unique price agreed bilaterally... do you also avoid plumbers, electricians, builders, lawyers, car-boot sales, markets, etc?

I am one of those people who in general will not go to places that charge dual prices. If i had not lived here and was a tourist i could be ok with it. Though my parents also hate it when they are here. We skip many parks in the south because of it. Its not the price as such but the value you get for it. The parks are not kept good and usually not that special.

But it goes further there is a fishingplace called bung sam ran and its privately owned, it charges two prices too. Before i refused to go there and many expat anglers did the same. Now they changed it that i can get in with my Thai drivers license and they got my business back.

For tax funded things i can understand dual prices, but for private owned enterprises its pure discrimination to make an extra buck

I don't have a problem with the difference resident / non resident. But if your a resident and you still don't get local prices that irks me.

These might not be your views but they are mine and certainly not less valid.

UK universities are the most obvious example (I know many Thai people who have to pay the full fees that are often double the price for Brits).

With regards to tourist attractions, The Tower of London, and other London attractions, offer big discounts for customers arriving into London by train (which basically has the same effect of higher prices for tourists).

Membership of English heritage (for which the minimum contract is 12 months) allows for free entry into hundreds of UK castles / historic buildings, for which tourists have to pay (often not cheap).

Don't forget that (although double pricing does exist in UK) the economic logic is far less convincing (as Brits do not have a much lower average income than the tourists) and hence these examples are actually more difficult to understand / justify than the examples in Thailand.

I don't think these are very convincing arguments as Universities are now technically private institutions and are allowed to structure their prices the way they feel is applicable to circumstances. I know of plenty of UK residents having to pay full fees.

As for the arriving by train business, why don't the tourists just catch a train in then?

Also if you are paying an annual membership fee to an institution is that not reasonable to expect discounts?

As I said earlier in the thread, with regards to people who (like you) avoid purchasing goods / services just because of the discounts for locals, I would like to know whether you would recommend a Thai friend who has been offered a place at Oxford (or any other UK university) to forego that opportunity just because the fees are lower for Brits?

I don't understand how your purchase decision is affected by the price paid by other people. Do you also avoid businesses that offer discounts for students, children or the elderly? What about businesses where every customer pays a unique price agreed bilaterally... do you also avoid plumbers, electricians, builders, lawyers, car-boot sales, markets, etc?

For tax funded things i can understand dual prices, but for private owned enterprises its pure discrimination to make an extra buck

I don't have a problem with the difference resident / non resident. But if your a resident and you still don't get local prices that irks me.

Well where I live I don't see a lot of the locals paying taxes other that when they purchase things which means I am paying the same as these people. I think the main issue here is the massive price difference 100Bt vs 500Bt. Anyway makes no difference to me as I certainly won't be going to any of these 'attractions' because, as mentioned in my previous post' they certainly aint nothing to write home about.

Edited by sysardman

I don't think these are very convincing arguments as Universities are now technically private institutions and are allowed to structure their prices the way they feel is applicable to circumstances. I know of plenty of UK residents having to pay full fees.

As for the arriving by train business, why don't the tourists just catch a train in then?

Also if you are paying an annual membership fee to an institution is that not reasonable to expect discounts?

The maximum tuition fees for Brits is 10k per year. I know Thais paying more than 20k.

Getting a train into London from say Beijing is quite awkward (admittedly my brother did it in the other direction but it took a few weeks).

With regards to annual membership for English Heritage I obviously think it is fair (I think all discounts are fair) but it should be clear that having a minimum 12 month contract "discriminates" against tourists.

I am one of those people who in general will not go to places that charge dual prices. If i had not lived here and was a tourist i could be ok with it. Though my parents also hate it when they are here. We skip many parks in the south because of it. Its not the price as such but the value you get for it. The parks are not kept good and usually not that special.

But it goes further there is a fishingplace called bung sam ran and its privately owned, it charges two prices too. Before i refused to go there and many expat anglers did the same. Now they changed it that i can get in with my Thai drivers license and they got my business back.

I don't understand why you are opposed to private enterprises maximising profit. As Adam Smith explained in The Wealth of Nations (1776) it is this profit motive that motivates entrepreneurs to provide the products / services that satisfy peoples' wants / needs.

If you don't feel the price applicable to you offers good value for money (as per your example of poorly maintained parks) it is rational not to give them your business, but making a purchase decision on the basis of the price charged to other customers is irrational and will lead to you foregoing satisfaction of your wants / needs.

The maximum tuition fees for Brits is 10k per year. I know Thais paying more than 20k.

Getting a train into London from say Beijing is quite awkward (admittedly my brother did it in the other direction but it took a few weeks).

With regards to annual membership for English Heritage I obviously think it is fair (I think all discounts are fair) but it should be clear that having a minimum 12 month contract "discriminates" against tourists.

Can't the ones from Beijing fly to France and then channel tunnel - with all the discount fares it might work out cost effective. Also do they really get off the plane and go straight to the Tower of London or whatever. Any way what's in London? tell them to get up to Yorkshire, beautiful countryside and many free attractions and no discriminatory prices (except for the Unis)

As for the tuition fees they must be rich Thais, but having said that, if that is the case about the fees then I am appalled.

Edited by sysardman

I don't understand why you are opposed to private enterprises maximising profit. As Adam Smith explained in The Wealth of Nations (1776) it is this profit motive that motivates entrepreneurs to provide the products / services that satisfy peoples' wants / needs.

If you don't feel the price applicable to you offers good value for money (as per your example of poorly maintained parks) it is rational not to give them your business, but making a purchase decision on the basis of the price charged to other customers is irrational and will lead to you foregoing satisfaction of your wants / needs.

Who says you have to be rational, do you really think everything we do is rational ?

Plus for my feeling the service is less good if i have to pay more just because i have a white skin.

Sorry there are many people thinking like me so maybe we either are not always rational or its rational to think you get screwed by price things like that.

@ sysardman

As a Lancastrian, I will not recommend anyone to visit that other county you mentioned.

Oh dear I've started a war of the rosesw00t.gif

I was in quite a rush this afternoon and while joining my thai friends cutting down bamboo (and it aint those little garden canes found in the UK) I was able to reflect on the whole university issue and I feel it is a bit of an unfair comparison. To start with those lucky foreign students who can afford to come to the UK to study will leave (hopefully) with a plum UK university degree so they can earn mega bucks and recoup their losses. Also if you consider there are many problems that a university has to address in catering for overseas students, language, dietary needs, counselors etc so obviously they will have to charge more. Whether it should be double I don't know because I don't have access to university finance records.

As a Lancastrian you can probably tell us if the Blackpool tower charges two tier rates for locals and visitors or the pleasure beach etc? i'm not aware of it. As for my own county I have never seen a sign in any tourist spot to say locals one price, foreigners another although I would not object to charging Lancastrians double for inflicting Coronation Street on us.thumbsup.gif

Edited by sysardman

Who says you have to be rational, do you really think everything we do is rational ?

Plus for my feeling the service is less good if i have to pay more just because i have a white skin.

Sorry there are many people thinking like me so maybe we either are not always rational or its rational to think you get screwed by price things like that.

By stating your disregard for rational arguments, you have made it impossible (or at least too time consuming for me) to debate this issue with you any further. Good luck to you.

@ sysardman

As a Lancastrian, I will not recommend anyone to visit that other county you mentioned.

I was in quite a rush this afternoon and while joining my thai friends cutting down bamboo (and it aint those little garden canes found in the UK) I was able to reflect on the whole university issue and I feel it is a bit of an unfair comparison. To start with those lucky foreign students who can afford to come to the UK to study will leave (hopefully) with a plum UK university degree so they can earn mega bucks and recoup their losses. Also if you consider there are many problems that a university has to address in catering for overseas students, language, dietary needs, counselors etc so obviously they will have to charge more. Whether it should be double I don't know because I don't have access to university finance records.

As a Lancastrian you can probably tell us if the Blackpool tower charges two tier rates for locals and visitors or the pleasure beach etc? i'm not aware of it. As for my own county I have never seen a sign in any tourist spot to say locals one price, foreigners another although I would not object to charging Lancastrians double for inflicting Coronation Street on us.thumbsup.gif

I really don't know about Yorkshire but as I have explained double pricing does exist in the UK.

I am not going to debate any arguments you put forward to justify double pricing in the UK (as already explained I am not against it in any country).

However, I hope you will understand that if double pricing in the UK can be ok, it can also be justified in Thailand, where the average income of the natives is considerably lower (less than a third of the UK average for example) than that of the tourists.

By the way, I also do not want to cause another battle of the roses and hence will just assume any ignorance on your part is not malicious but simply due to your Yorkshire blood...

I fully trust that such an increase in price will result in even better World class facilities.

And that the price disparity for white foreigners will be put towards the English language training of NP tourguides, creating a World class environment for tourists.

@ sysardman

I really don't know about Yorkshire but as I have explained double pricing does exist in the UK.

I am not going to debate any arguments you put forward to justify double pricing in the UK (as already explained I am not against it in any country).

However, I hope you will understand that if double pricing in the UK can be ok, it can also be justified in Thailand, where the average income of the natives is considerably lower (less than a third of the UK average for example) than that of the tourists.

By the way, I also do not want to cause another battle of the roses and hence will just assume any ignorance on your part is not malicious but simply due to your Yorkshire blood...

Well sorry but I thought we could inject a bit of humour but you start flinging allegations of ignorance about which about sums yours up.

I am saying that your examples are complete rubbish and I shot them down in flames, as you cannot provide real examples then don't post crap. Do any national parks in the UK say locals one price, foreigners another, simple answer - NO so please don't insult me or my county.

@ sysardman

Well sorry but I thought we could inject a bit of humour but you start flinging allegations of ignorance about which about sums yours up.

I am saying that your examples are complete rubbish and I shot them down in flames, as you cannot provide real examples then don't post crap. Do any national parks in the UK say locals one price, foreigners another, simple answer - NO so please don't insult me or my county.

I have given examples of double pricing in UK, and you have explianed why you think that is ok.

I agree that double pricing in the UK is ok, and I have also explained why it is ok in Thailand.

Actually I was trying to inject some humour because I didn't realise you were already doing that.

No offense to you or your county intended, and I am sorry if that was the way it sounded.

I am on my computer so I can do the following, which hopefully makes the tone of my post clearer...

biggrin.pngtongue.png

@ sysardman

I have given examples of double pricing in UK, and you have explianed why you think that is ok.

I agree that double pricing in the UK is ok, and I have also explained why it is ok in Thailand.

Actually I was trying to inject some humour because I didn't realise you were already doing that.

No offense to you or your county intended, and I am sorry if that was the way it sounded.

I am on my computer so I can do the following, which hopefully makes the tone of my post clearer...

biggrin.pngtongue.png

OK we'll agree to disagree - no hard feelingsthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I actually don't understand why people complain about the higher price for foreign nationals and State Parks. Most countries have a different system for those that pay taxes and those that don't.

My only objection is when people actually live, work, have a family here and still are charged the tourist rate.

Huh? You don't understand why people are complaining? Ok, let's put it this way... if you are black, you can't eat in this restaurant, but if you are white, you can. Would you be able to understand why a black person might be offended and complain? Geez.

Please list "most countries" that do this. Oh, and be specific, what countries have different scales for tax payers and non tax payers. This should be an interesting list. If there even is one.

This is a racist policy. Period. Your own quote proves it. "My only objection is....blah blah blah... charged the tourist rate." It's because Thais don't see you as a tourist or someone working here, they see you as white. You are called a farang (ฝรั่ง). A farang is both a westerner and white person by definition. Chinese are not called farang. No one in Asia is called a farang. People from the middle east are not called farang, they are called แขก, which means visitor or Indian. What are you not understanding that it's not about being a tourist, it's about being white. Racism. Object to that please.

you choose to live here, deal with it. can't deal with it, leave. simple, really.

I fully trust that such an increase in price will result in even better World class facilities.

And that the price disparity for white foreigners will be put towards the English language training of NP tourguides, creating a World class environment for tourists.

World class facilities ............are we still in Chiang Mai?

World class facilities ............are we still in Chiang Mai?

I think the satire has spilled over from the California Wow threadwhistling.gif

I know this might be a bit late now but why is it in the Chiang Mai forum when these increases are being applied nationally.

Edited by sysardman

biggrin.pngtongue.png

OK we'll agree to disagree - no hard feelingsthumbsup.gif

Well if anyone is still following this thread you may have noticed a little exchange between myself and Brit1984. I have asked politely for better examples of the dual pricing in the UK because I felt the ones he supplied were weak and invalid. Anyway he has not answered and has probably gone to the pub so I ask if anybody else has examples of this 2 tier pricing system he's talking about. You may have gathered if you've read the posts that I'm from Yorkshire and I've been to Leeds armouries, York railway museum, Yorvik centre, the Yorkshire Dales national parks, The Lake District, Alton Towers, Blackool pleasure beach and Tower, well the list goes on and I have never once been given a preferential price for being a UK citizen. I've paid the same tourist price as anybody else would, the only 2 tier system I've seen is for adults and children.

Please note The Lake District, Alton Towers and Blackpool not in Yorkshire

Edited by sysardman

It's fine to charge 500THB for entrance to a flagship Thai National Park if in return for that fee, the visitor receives useful informative materials such as road and trail maps, information about wildlife and scenic places, access to guides and services, maps showing camp sites and lodging, and at least some of that entrance fee goes directly to the park to help with maintaining a visitor centre that provides useful information about the park, it's history, wildlife, scenic attractions, trail maps, and for regular maintenance of roads, electricity, buildings, toilets, accommodation, and other park infrastructure, trail maintenance and repairs, maintaining guard posts, communications equipment, patrolling, protection and monitoring of sensitive areas by rangers.

The problem is that none of the entrance fees raised by a Thai National Park go directly to that park's budget. Instead all fees are sent to the Bangkok office of the National Parks Division where they go into a pool from which each park chief must negotiate a budget every year so he/she can pay for these things in the following year. Then the DNP might choose to send all their chiefs on a jolly to Kenya one year, and the entrance fee pool gets siphoned to pay for such costs. In general, tourists both Thai and foreign know value when they are asked to pay for it, and DNP needs to lift their game and provide better services or tourists will be choosing instead to visit parks and national monuments in Cambodia, Malaysia and Myanmar.

• Like 1

It's fine to charge 500THB for entrance to a flagship Thai National Park if in return for that fee, the visitor receives useful informative materials such as road and trail maps, information about wildlife and scenic places, access to guides and services, maps showing camp sites and lodging, and at least some of that entrance fee goes directly to the park to help with maintaining a visitor centre that provides useful information about the park, it's history, wildlife, scenic attractions, trail maps, and for regular maintenance of roads, electricity, buildings, toilets, accommodation, and other park infrastructure, trail maintenance and repairs, maintaining guard posts, communications equipment, patrolling, protection and monitoring of sensitive areas by rangers.

Yeah you don't even get a cruddy car sticker saying 'We've seen the Chedi of Doi Inthanon' - anybody been to Longleat might get that one laugh.png And by the way no two tier pricing for foreigners the Lions will eat anybody.w00t.gif

Edited by sysardman

Yeah you don't even get a cruddy car sticker saying 'We've seen the Chedi of Doi Inthanon' - anybody been to Longleat might get that one laugh.png And by the way no two tier pricing for foreigners the Lions will eat anybody.w00t.gif

It seems to be just me left on this thread so just a final thought here, I've been to Doi Inthanon and at that time it seemed a bit expensive, now with the price increase I am likely never to go back again. If they had a reasonable price I would have probably kept going back many times taking the family with me on picnics but we'll have to stick to Huay Kaew now because it's free.(for now anyway).

Double pricing in Japan.

City owned sports facilities.

Many times there are two prices, one for residents of the city and one for non-residents of the city. Makes sense as local taxes are used to support these places. I was reminded of this today when I rode by a public running track which had a sign 40 baht (100 yen) for adult residents and 80 (200 yen) baht for non-residents.

It's whatever. What a bunch of arguing TV BS.. Pay it or not.

I have found a local waterfall in CM that I like to bicycle ride up to. It's really steep but also fairly short. It's supposed to be a few hundred baht. I got caught in a rainstorm while riding up one time and starting talking to one of the guards.

Found out a little about him and bring him some large Changs and snacks sometimes. He has been working there for like 7 years. Now when I want to ride up there during operating hours he just waves me thru with a giant cheesy grin.

Otherwise he was generous about offering to say I could ride up after 5 pm when when they leave or even early morning but usually I am too drunk then to be riding.

Anyway. With a little creativity like car pooling, or personal charisma, or even sneaking around the gate then its fair game.

The guy talking about having to photograph on Doi Inthanon every day. Are you freaking joking? you have to do that? give me a break?