National Park Entrance Fees Take A Price Hike Of 150%

Maejo Man

Anyone off to Doi Inthanon take some extra cash.....

Entrance fees for the country's most popular national parks will increase 150% for Thais due to rising park management costs, the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation announced yesterday.

The new rates will be imposed at 29 "Grade A" national parks and will be effective from Oct 1 onward, said Vithya Hongvienchan, director of the National Parks Office.

Under the new rate, the admission fee for Thai adults will increase from 40 baht to 100 baht, while admission fees for Thai children will jump from 20 baht to 50 baht.

Park entrance fees for foreign adults will increase from 400 baht to 500 baht and from 200 baht to 300 baht for foreign children.

Eight parks in the North, four in the Northeast, three in the East, four in the West, and 10 in the South will be affected by the new fee.

Among the affected national parks are Doi Inthanond in Chiang Mai, Khao Yai (Nakhon Ratchasima), Sai Yok (Kanchanaburi), Kaeng Krachan (Phetchaburi), Koh Chang (Trat), Phu Kradueng (Loei), and Similan (Phangnga).

The admission fees at the remaining 116 parks will stay the same, Mr Vithya added. He said insufficient budgets for park management, wastewater treatment, forest protection, and maintenance of tourism facilities had forced the department to raise admission fees.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always get, without an argument, the Thai price. I show my Thai drivers' licence usually. The only exception was Sukhotai where I had a bloody good argument before they let me in for the Thai price. I knew they were muttering insults under their breath when they finally sold me the ticket. But being a good Buddhist and believing in in cause/effect etc. I pissed up the wall of one of their historical palaces in order to balance out their bahaviour. It was petty but it made me feel a lot better.

Appalling. Not petty, simply gross.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

I always get, without an argument, the Thai price. I show my Thai drivers' licence usually. The only exception was Sukhotai where I had a bloody good argument before they let me in for the Thai price. I knew they were muttering insults under their breath when they finally sold me the ticket. But being a good Buddhist and believing in in cause/effect etc. I pissed up the wall of one of their historical palaces in order to balance out their bahaviour. It was petty but it made me feel a lot better.

Appalling. Not petty, simply gross.

Even better

• Like 1

maybe they will use the extra revenue to clean the Inthanon Chedis better. Last time I went smell of feet funk in the left one was over powering. Otherwise great place to visit.

The waterfalls on the way up are really good. Still at that price worth visiting once.

I like to ride the bicycle up there once in a while. Maybe there is a way to bypass the entrance and fee. Doesn't seem right to pay that much to ride up the mountain.

I actually don't understand why people complain about the higher price for foreign nationals and State Parks. Most countries have a different system for those that pay taxes and those that don't.

My only objection is when people actually live, work, have a family here and still are charged the tourist rate.

• Like 2

maybe they will use the extra revenue to clean the Inthanon Chedis better. Last time I went smell of feet funk in the left one was over powering. Otherwise great place to visit.

The waterfalls on the way up are really good. Still at that price worth visiting once.

I like to ride the bicycle up there once in a while. Maybe there is a way to bypass the entrance and fee. Doesn't seem right to pay that much to ride up the mountain.

Smile, keep riding past the cars, and guaranteed no one is going to mess with a biker. Now if that technique only worked at Mok Fah waterfall to get in and see it.

If Doi Inthanon is a class "A" park I would hate to see class "B" "C" or "D"

Living and working here and I'm sure paying much more tax into the system than most Thais here, the first and most likely only time I have been up there they didn't care about my Thai DL or work permit. I think it was after 20 minutes of me not leaving or paying full price and the now increasing line behind me made them let me go at Thai price. Had 4 Thais with me and only really went as the driver.

The story went on to say the parks director didn't think it will effect attendace, I think it will

I actually don't understand why people complain about the higher price for foreign nationals and State Parks. Most countries have a different system for those that pay taxes and those that don't.

My only objection is when people actually live, work, have a family here and still are charged the tourist rate.

Huh? You don't understand why people are complaining? Ok, let's put it this way... if you are black, you can't eat in this restaurant, but if you are white, you can. Would you be able to understand why a black person might be offended and complain? Geez.

Please list "most countries" that do this. Oh, and be specific, what countries have different scales for tax payers and non tax payers. This should be an interesting list. If there even is one.

This is a racist policy. Period. Your own quote proves it. "My only objection is....blah blah blah... charged the tourist rate." It's because Thais don't see you as a tourist or someone working here, they see you as white. You are called a farang (ฝรั่ง). A farang is both a westerner and white person by definition. Chinese are not called farang. No one in Asia is called a farang. People from the middle east are not called farang, they are called แขก, which means visitor or Indian. What are you not understanding that it's not about being a tourist, it's about being white. Racism. Object to that please.

He can cross the UK off the list,everyone pays the same entrance fee, whether Tourists or English,it's against the Discrimination laws to do otherwise.

Edited by MAJIC

And so the gouging continues. This bunch have done their darnedest to overprice the place, but you can still expect the same crap service and quality. C'mon Burma, pull your finger out and show them how it's done!

He can cross the UK off the list,everyone pays the same entrance fee, whether Tourists or English,it's against the Discrimination laws to do otherwise.

Unfortunately, this is true. There are hundreds of thousands of people with a long heritage in Britain, whose family will never be able to take their children to places like the Tower of London because of the high cost, while utra rich tourists from Asia and the rest of the world who have no connection or real interest in these places can easily afford it.

• Like 1

Huh? You don't understand why people are complaining? Ok, let's put it this way... if you are black, you can't eat in this restaurant, but if you are white, you can. Would you be able to understand why a black person might be offended and complain? Geez.

Please list "most countries" that do this. Oh, and be specific, what countries have different scales for tax payers and non tax payers. This should be an interesting list. If there even is one.

This is a racist policy. Period. Your own quote proves it. "My only objection is....blah blah blah... charged the tourist rate." It's because Thais don't see you as a tourist or someone working here, they see you as white. You are called a farang (ฝรั่ง). A farang is both a westerner and white person by definition. Chinese are not called farang. No one in Asia is called a farang. People from the middle east are not called farang, they are called แขก, which means visitor or Indian. What are you not understanding that it's not about being a tourist, it's about being white. Racism. Object to that please.

You can also cross Canada off that fantasy list for several reasons. One - discrimination or any sort is illegal and not tolerated. Second - it's just plain stupid. How the hell do you expect to build a tourist industry if you penalize tourists for being...tourists? I've seen a little topsy-turvy business practices here over the year I've been here ie: business is down - increase prices and cut promos to offset loses. But throttling the tourist industry by blatantly advertising discrimination is going above and beyond foolish. BTW - the only other two price system I've come across is Cuba, where they have a dual money system, one for the tourist, one for the locals, which comes in at about a 10 to 1 ratio.

Unfortunately, this is true. There are hundreds of thousands of people with a long heritage in Britain, whose family will never be able to take their children to places like the Tower of London because of the high cost, while utra rich tourists from Asia and the rest of the world who have no connection or real interest in these places can easily afford it.

I have to mention this one, kind of funny really. You mention wealthy Asian tourists in the UK. In Canada there is an Asian tourist mecca in Prince Edward Island (smallest province in the country). It's a modest two story clap-board house of no particular note except is is purported to be the home of Anne Shirley and is very popular amongst Japaneses tourists. The interesting part is that Anne is a fictional character and there is no actual place called Green Gables. It is a well marketed con job taken from a novel called "Anne of Green Gables" which was written in 1908. Just saying...

Avoid Italy. They discriminate against non EU visitors

Colosseum + Roman Forum + Palatine Hill Combined Ticket (valid for 2 days):

Adults: € 12,00

Concessions: € 7,50 (European citizens between 18 and 24 years of age, teachers, etc.)

Free Admission: European citizens under 18 and over 65 years of age

maybe they will use the extra revenue

Why do you assume they'll get extra revenue?

I guess your assuming they will have less visits to offset the per visit revenue increase.

Higher prices would generate more revenue per visit. Fewer visits could/should lower their overall service costs.

I doesn't mean they will use the money to make the park better. They might just be trying to lower they losses.

• Like 1

He won't have to worry about maintenance of tourism facilities much longer, gouging foreign visitors will see to that. I hate the two price system soooooo much. It's a disgusting way to do business.

I was under the understanding it was the way of doing business in Hawaii.

Besides the headline is just a typical Nation headline sensationalize it.

Read the article and it is not in all the parks and only 25% for foreigners not 150% across the board as the poster would like people to believe.

Well it would make a interesting list. A group of us were talking about it this morning and several people from Hawaii say they have a double pricing system there.

The trouble is most people on this board only know some thing about Thailand and their own state or Country. I am quite sure that there are travelers here who can tell you of the same thing in other countries. Do I like it No Do I care enough about it to go get a drivers license no so should I buy in to complaining about it when I know there is a perfectly good way to get around it No.

I know some people have had a problem with the driving license thing but they forget to mention how many times they had no problem. They do so because they know most people do not want the whole story. They only want the part that they want to believe in.

• Like 1

first time that I have ever agreed with hellodolly.

Louvre in France charges more. State parks in the US charge more for out of state tourists.

Comparing what happens here to Black and white racial issues in the US is absolutely retarded. Worst analogy of the year award.

FYI Kevin, Japanese, Indian tourists here don't pay Thai prices. If someone can pass for Thai then they usually don't get asked for ID but many do.

• Like 2