Distance

pochinda

Hey!

I moved to Chiang Mai for a one-year-trip a few weeks ago, and I love it here!

I have a problem though, I’m staying at my “aunt and uncle”’s house, which has beautiful surroundings and they are too wonderful people. The thing is just, that it lies 35 km outside of Chiang Mai, and since I don’t have a driver’s license I have to take a bus for 1½ hour every way back and forth. The problem however is that the last bus goes at 6pm, which means that any type of nightlife, night bazaar or dinners aren’t really possible. Something which to me is a big killer, especially since the young possibility for socializing is very limited during the day because of school and work.

The lack of flexibility and having minimum of time in the city as a newcomer is very frustrating.

I then thought about moving into a place on my own closer to town, but I don’t like the thought of living by myself at the age of 19 in a new country.

Any suggestions or advice on how to handle this?

Linda

Edited by pochinda

Hi Linda, welcome to Chiang Mai.

Does your Aunt or Uncle know anyone that you could rent or borrow on occasions a motorbike during your stay in Chiang Mai.

This is your best method for getting around, but please make sure that you gain plenty of practise on the bike before hitting the main roads on the thing. Or perhaps a young friend who has transport and could accompany you when you go into the town?

Otherwise, I cant think of any other alternatives.

There's plenty of students living alone at that age in CNX, you'll be fine.

I'd look into the Nimanheimin or Huay Kaew area, alot of things would be in walking distance and whatever you couldnt get to would be accessible by the red songthaew trucks. These two roads have a good international vibe and a good mix of foreigners and thais.

Santhitam and Thapae gate may be a little much for you until you're better at deciphering BS... I wouldnt want my daughter (if i had one) to walk around Santhitam alone after midnight...and definately not Loy Kroh.

Suthep road by the back CMU entrance is mostly uni students, alot of apartments around there, but sucks for convenient travel within the city, traffic at the light gets backed up farrrrr.

Why not sign up for some classes at CMU for the sole purpose of meeting people the same age?

Hi Linda, welcome to Chiang Mai.

Does your Aunt or Uncle know anyone that you could rent or borrow on occasions a motorbike during your stay in Chiang Mai.

This is your best method for getting around, but please make sure that you gain plenty of practise on the bike before hitting the main roads on the thing. Or perhaps a young friend who has transport and could accompany you when you go into the town?

Otherwise, I cant think of any other alternatives.

35km out of CNX really is too far to be driving at night on a motorbike, car would be ok though.

There's plenty of students living alone at that age in CNX, you'll be fine.

I'd look into the Nimanheimin or Huay Kaew area, alot of things would be in walking distance and whatever you couldnt get to would be accessible by the red songthaew trucks. These two roads have a good international vibe and a good mix of foreigners and thais.

Santhitam and Thapae gate may be a little much for you until you're better at deciphering BS... I wouldnt want my daughter (if i had one) to walk around Santhitam alone after midnight...and definately not Loy Kroh.

Suthep road by the back CMU entrance is mostly uni students, alot of apartments around there, but sucks for convenient travel within the city, traffic at the light gets backed up farrrrr.

Why not sign up for some classes at CMU for the sole purpose of meeting people the same age?

Where most of the Gh where farang stay in Santitham are well lit and are fairly well populated with young people to the early hours of the morning.

If you stayed up by the ymca then it can get dark and not so populated at night but like i said the other parts of Santitham are fine

Santitham is a completely different vibe to Loy Kroh as well as a different traveller.

There are lots of little gems hidden away with cool Thais running them and Thai prices

Seems to me there are 2 choices

Move and pay rent, or get a motorbike and drive.. OR taxi they go 24 hours a day

What kind of funds are you living on? at 19 are you going to school ? or working ? You should be doing something.

Motorbikes, the bus, or taxis will cost you but so will going to town for fun. Having to pay rent is going to cost you too.

i Do know many who drive a scooter with no license. Wear a helmet and be careful. But again, is there some reason you don't drive that we don't know about ?

Linda -- if you want to socialize in town just one or two nights a week, why not just get a room at a guest house on those days? This time of year, they have vacancies and there is a lot of selection in the socially active parts of town.

Totally agree with NancyL on this. You can get a GH spot for about 180B/night which is not steep at all. Once you get to know a place you'd be recognized and probably feel like you have your 'city home' away from home secured. IN fact, some places even have cheapo basic rooms for about 2K or 3K month if you just wanted a fan room with a bed to keep rented n locked up except for when you need it. For now the GH approach is cheapest and easiest. Also, make a few friends and you might have couch options open up for you in no time.

Linda -- if you want to socialize in town just one or two nights a week, why not just get a room at a guest house on those days? This time of year, they have vacancies and there is a lot of selection in the socially active parts of town.

Totally agree with NancyL on this. You can get a GH spot for about 180B/night which is not steep at all. Once you get to know a place you'd be recognized and probably feel like you have your 'city home' away from home secured. IN fact, some places even have cheapo basic rooms for about 2K or 3K month if you just wanted a fan room with a bed to keep rented n locked up except for when you need it. For now the GH approach is cheapest and easiest. Also, make a few friends and you might have couch options open up for you in no time.

I agree with both of the above. 35km is too far to travel on regular basis on a motorbike for someone who has no experience- eventually you would have a nasty stack. And that bus trip doesn't sound fun.

Best if you find somewhere in town and split your time between town and the relatives place. Once you get into town you will pretty quickly find some friends around your age, or not much older. Try and drop into the couch-surfing meeting sometime, tends to be a young crowd.

Get a bike, get some experience, and then get a license. You can get a license here if you can drive without falling over.

No reason to drive fast, so just drive safe.

The freedom to get around will greatly improve your Thailand experience, even just getting stuff around town.

Bloody Mess (Yikes ! What a name...) brings up a good point by calling it couch surfing. There are a bunch of 20 n 30 somethings here who take in couch surfers all the time. I know a bunch of them, and they're all good folks. I also know one man who opens his house up for the same, but it's more of a family guest kind of situation. Go register on a couchsurfing website n make yourself known to the CM crowd. It's gonna work out great.

Ad for riding a bike on your own - I think it's good to think of getting your courage up, and practicing in a deserted parking lot or quiet moo baan streets for awhile first. Don't get out on the roads and take to a bike before YOU FELL READY. If you don't have the confidence, good things may not follow. I find the self-assuredness factor to be one of the biggest things that separates those who have accidents from those who don't. And on a bike.... you always want to stay up. I'm sure you're smart enough. Now you just need the skills and confidence. Take your time !

Linda,

Unless you ride a motorcycle regularly in your home country, do not get a motorbike (not that you indicated you would).

If you have no experience riding a motorcycle or motorbike and for some reason decide to get one, please visit the head injury ward at a local hospital before you get one. Even if you wear a helmet you stand a good chance of getting hurt, possibly a broken neck. If someone runs a red light in their truck and hits you, you are dead, helmet or not.

Forget the motorbike idea if you are inexperienced in that area. Forget it.

Stay safe and have fun in Chiang Mai.

Edited by mesquite

NancyL is always the first with a sensible reply.

Damned annoying there Nancy (I wanted to post that)!

Edited by TommoPhysicist

To answer some of the questions which came along the feedback:

“Is there some reason you don't drive that we don't know about ?”

In relation to this and any other thing with motorbikes, it’s a no go. Firstly because I promised my dad that I wouldn’t, since most accidents involves these, but most of all because I’m way too clumsy to hit the roads with anything that drives faster than a bicycle. (which is the main reason why I didn't get the drivers license for cars or/and motorbikes back home)

“What kind of funds are you living on? at 19 are you going to school ? or working ? You should be doing something.”

At the moment I’m studying thai at AUA, which I love and I too love my classmates but they are all much older than me. So I’d like to be able to hang out with people who aren’t more than 10 years older than myself.

I’m hoping that I might be able to find a little job here, later when I’m more comfortable with my language skills. It isn’t necessary though, since I’m living on some savings I made up until my trip which should be able to last the whole year, together with some money my parents gladly donated. (these goes to my thai courses though)

When it comes to rent, if I choose to find a place for myself, it hopefully shouldn’t be too big a problem, since I already pay “rent” for staying at my aunt and uncle’s house. I guess it's more the aspect of living alone which frightens me.

But thank you so much for all the useful answers, I’ll look in to it and hopefully figure something out. :)