What Do I Need To Do To Get A Green Book On An Imported Bike?

rmicheald

I am contemplating purchasing a bike that has no green book. The seller indicates he has the following paperwork:

New Accurate Importation Invoice + Importation Tax Certificate + New Thai Excises Taxs Certificate + Thai Motorcycle Sales Certificate at The Name of The Buyer + The Original Company Invoices when I purchased it (In English, too) + Custom Plate. There IS all the paperwork to get a Green-book.

Anyone done this and know the steps I would have to take to get a legal green-book?

OR

Is it o.k. to just ride with the paperwork as it is?

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends where you live and where you plan on riding it. Outside of BKK and the main tourist towns you'll be OK as it is, perhaps the odd small fine now and then if you are unlucky so you just have to decide whether the extra 100k or so for the greenbook will be worth it.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I kinda agree with skyblue. With the caveat that things are changing and that might not always be the case. If its cheap enough ok. But you can buy many fully legal bikes now.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Depends where you live and where you plan on riding it. Outside of BKK and the main tourist towns you'll be OK as it is, perhaps the odd small fine now and then if you are unlucky so you just have to decide whether the extra 100k or so for the greenbook will be worth it.

I kinda agree with skyblue. With the caveat that things are changing and that might not always be the case. If its cheap enough ok. But you can buy many fully legal bikes now.

Even IF things do change the maximum fine will be 2000baht according to the Govt minister who was interviewed recently, so with most imported bikes with green books being between 100-300k more expensive than bikes without green books buyers will need to decide for themselves.

The last time I went to the hat Yai bike weekend I met two guys there who on the way down lost their HD fat boys. They too had no green books and had ridden for a couple of years paying the odd fine. OK till you meet the police man who wants your bike. They lost their bikes worth just under 4 million Baht and nothing they could do about it. Getting a green book will cost you between 60- 100,000 Baht and a whole heap of stress. there are plenty of bikes with green books about which you can buy and put in your name and not have to worry. A far better option in my book but each to their own. I for one wouldn't risk losing my ride one day.thumbsup.gif

I've been watching that guy in Phuket (maybe it's Samui?) try to sell his bike for weeks. I hate the fact that he is pretending in his ads that the bike is somehow legal and that all the documents are there to get it registered. It needs to be emissions tested and that's perhaps 75 thousand baht with no guarantee it will pass. Times have changed. It's harder and harder to find a fixer with the connections to get a green book. It's not legal to ride that bike. It will be nothing but headaches.

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 1

The other thing that would be ringing round my head is why hasn't the current owner got the green book by now which would make the selling of his bike easier and more profitable whistling.gif

Exactly, if it was that easy he'd get the green book himself and then sell it fully legit for a lot more money. There's a lot more to getting a green book than having an invoice and 70,000 baht in your pocket.

I think you would be crazy buying any bike without a green book things are definitely changing here,like others have mentioned it only takes the bib to take a shine to your bike and you will lose it,where do you think they got all them cars from they auctioned of the other week no doubt from people that were saying the same thing don't worry you can pay a fine and be on your way

Even IF things do change the maximum fine will be 2000baht according to the Govt minister who was interviewed recently, so with most imported bikes with green books being between 100-300k more expensive than bikes without green books buyers will need to decide for themselves.

Do you have any contact details for that minister as I knew a few guys who want to ask him why their bike was confiscated instead of getting away with a 2000 Baht fine.

Anyone done this and know the steps I would have to take to get a legal green-book?

You don't mention how old the bike actually is.If it is not almost new, you can just forget about getting a green book as it will never pass the emmissions test.

Do you have any contact details for that minister as I knew a few guys who want to ask him why their bike was confiscated instead of getting away with a 2000 Baht fine.

Sorry, I seem to have misplaced his number but his name is Chatchart Sithipan and he is the deputy transport minister. Your friends who had their bikes taken by the police (almost 4million baht worth you said, if they paid almost 2million each for a bike without a green book they were massively ripped off!) are either very stupid or very rich! If they did nothing about it then they are stupid and if they didn't care then they must be too rich to care! If you have invoice papers & the 3% excise tax has been paid then it can't be confiscated and if some greedy BIB does take it then you can get it back quite easily!

Edited by skybluestu

Sorry, I seem to have misplaced his number but his name is Chatchart Sithipan and he is the deputy transport minister. Your friends who had their bikes taken by the police (almost 4million baht worth you said, if they paid almost 2million each for a bike without a green book they were massively ripped off!) are either very stupid or very rich! If they did nothing about it then they are stupid and if they didn't care then they must be too rich to care! If you have invoice papers & the 3% excise tax has been paid then it can't be confiscated and if some greedy BIB does take it then you can get it back quite easily!

You seem to confuse me with another poster regarding the bikes worth 4 million, but never mind about that.

If it was impossible to get your bike confiscated and so easy to get it back if a greedy bib made the mistake, than why would ANYONE go through the hassle and expense to have it registered in the first place?

it was me who met the guys who lost their HD customised fat boy bikes. Have you ever priced up Harley Davidson bikes here in Thailand or is a Honda Wave more your price range and knowledge. They fetch big money here, especially if they are limited edition.

I just don't like them so never would but believe me plenty here would and do pay the price !

Are you sure it is 3% excise tax? And why they cannot be confiscated? The revenue department can confiscated anything for which you have to pay tax, and as long as they (the revenue department) are investicating if all the tax(es) are fully paid they can keep the goods. And if you think the legal system in Thailand is slow, wait until you meet the revenue department...

You seem to confuse me with another poster regarding the bikes worth 4 million, but never mind about that.

If it was impossible to get your bike confiscated and so easy to get it back if a greedy bib made the mistake, than why would ANYONE go through the hassle and expense to have it registered in the first place?

Apologies, I confused you with the samuifood guy. Like I said, it depends where you live as to whether it is worth the time, money and total ballache as to whether you do get it registered. The vast majority of big bike owners that I know don't bother as it isn't a problem in most places in Thailand. If I lived in BKK, Pattaya or another tourist area then riding an unregistered bike wouldn't be worth the daily hassle but anywhere else then mai pen rai!

Apologies, I confused you with the samuifood guy. Like I said, it depends where you live as to whether it is worth the time, money and total ballache as to whether you do get it registered. The vast majority of big bike owners that I know don't bother as it isn't a problem in most places in Thailand. If I lived in BKK, Pattaya or another tourist area then riding an unregistered bike wouldn't be worth the daily hassle but anywhere else then mai pen rai!

Excuse me, but as far as I'm aware the vast majority of big bike owners happens to live in BKK,Pattaya or another tourist area.I guess that less than 1 % live somewhere else.

Are you sure it is 3% excise tax? And why they cannot be confiscated? The revenue department can confiscated anything for which you have to pay tax, and as long as they (the revenue department) are investicating if all the tax(es) are fully paid they can keep the goods. And if you think the legal system in Thailand is slow, wait until you meet the revenue department...

Soon after I bought my XJR1300 I was having coffee at a PTT gas station when a pick-up with five men & women in uniform (it was Friday) pulled in. As they walked past my bike they stopped and looked and asked whose it was when they came inside the coffee shop. The girl pointed me out and they asked to see the excise papers, I showed them and they left me alone.

The amount on the papers that was paid was just over 15,000baht, the excise tax folk have a list of all bikes and each one has a value, a local bike shop has copies and I've seen it and 15,000baht is 3% of the value they have for an XJR1300. Richard, for someone if the know you seem to know very little!

it was me who met the guys who lost their HD customised fat boy bikes. Have you ever priced up Harley Davidson bikes here in Thailand or is a Honda Wave more your price range and knowledge. They fetch big money here, especially if they are limited edition.

I just don't like them so never would but believe me plenty here would and do pay the price !

I've seen plenty of HD Fat Boy bikes and even fairly new limited edition ones like this which looks like it is registered as it has a plate http://hd-playground...870396.html#new are a lot less than 1million baht, your friends paid nearly 2million cheesy.gif

Edited by skybluestu

Jan, you say most big bike owners live in BKK or a tourist town, you think all big bike owners are farang?

No, but the majority of Thais that I see with a big bike outside of the tourist areas ride something different from a half million woth bike.

Jan, you say most big bike owners live in BKK or a tourist town, you think all big bike owners are farang?

No, but the majority of Thais that I see with a big bike outside of the tourist areas ride something different from a half million woth bike.

I've seen pictures recently on facebook from big bike owners all over Thailand including Chiang Rai, Lampang, Lampun, Nan, Phitsanulok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Ayuthaya, Suphan Buri, Udon Thani, Surat Thani, Songkhla and all were Thais and most were unregistered sport bikes of at least 300k baht and up. The group I sometimes ride with are an example of this, 20-30 bikes and all but about 4-5 are unregistered and when they meet with other groups from other towns it is a similar story, lots of Thais have expensive bikes!

Edited by skybluestu

I've seen plenty of HD Fat Boy bikes and even fairly new limited edition ones like this which looks like it is registered as it has a plate http://hd-playground...870396.html#new are a lot less than 1million baht, your friends paid nearly 2million cheesy.gif

No friends at all. I had just met them crying into their beers after having their bikes taken from them by the police. I wouldn't give you a 1000 Baht for a HD never mind a million. I rate them as the most overrated tractors in the biking world.

I still wouldn't buy a bike without a book anywhere in Thailand. I have several and have had many and all with books in my name.

• Like 1

No friends at all. I had just met them crying into their beers after having their bikes taken from them by the police. I wouldn't give you a 1000 Baht for a HD never mind a million. I rate them as the most overrated tractors in the biking world.

I still wouldn't buy a bike without a book anywhere in Thailand. I have several and have had many and all with books in my name.

Well as I presume you live on Samui I think that's a wise choice!

Soon after I bought my XJR1300 I was having coffee at a PTT gas station when a pick-up with five men & women in uniform (it was Friday) pulled in. As they walked past my bike they stopped and looked and asked whose it was when they came inside the coffee shop. The girl pointed me out and they asked to see the excise papers, I showed them and they left me alone.

The amount on the papers that was paid was just over 15,000baht, the excise tax folk have a list of all bikes and each one has a value, a local bike shop has copies and I've seen it and 15,000baht is 3% of the value they have for an XJR1300. Richard, for someone if the know you seem to know very little!

According to the Thai Customs website, the excise tax is 30% - but I guess they also have no idea what they're doing.

And yes, there was a time that excise tax paid made everybody happy - but times changes and even today with an archive of paperwork, I can even show where the smallest screw came from, I'm still a bit nervous when I see a revenue department officer.

post-12170-0-62959200-1345715087_thumb.j

the same reason most people that drive legit cars and bikes renew their registration every year.

..... If you have invoice papers & the 3% excise tax has been paid then it can't be confiscated and if some greedy BIB does take it then you can get it back quite easily!

Quite true - as long as you keep it at home you can drive the bike round your own land as much as you like. Take it out on the public road, though, and the bike can legally be confiscated and kept until its registered and if "storage" fees aren't paid the bike can be registered by the DLT and auctioned (usually, coincidentally, to the person who confiscated the bike in the first place).

The idea that most Thais don't pay register their bikes and cars and don't pay road tax went out years ago.