Changing "Old" British Pounds To Baht

jeepholt

Hi guys, I need to change some British Pounds to Baht. The pounds are more than 10 years old and I've had them hidden in my house for that time. My wife took a few to a couple of Bangkok Bank branches who said they were "too old". She took some to the money changer in Soi Rungland and they will exchange them but only give around 36 baht per pound! Anyone with any ideas on where else in Pattaya we could try to change them? There is more than 4,000 quid involved. Thanks for any ideas.

i had the same problem,banks wont touch them,exchange booths want about 20%,we had a visitor from the uk and changed them for us and took them back to the uk,banks there will always except them.

if you have £4,000 i would get some advice from bank of england,or if you have a bank acc.in the uk you can arrange something with them,the amount you would lose in thailand would pay for a tkt.to the uk.

so your loosing a 1000 pounds in exchanging them here you would spend that getting back to uk so unless you can find someone to take them to the uk and pay into a bank cut your losses and exchange them or put them back under the mattress until you plan to go back to the uk

i wonder what uk customs would say about you carrying that cash back into the uk

You can carry into the UK up to 10,000 Euros (or equivilent)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/BringinggoodsorcashintotheUK/DG_173289

Your currence keeps its face value forever

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges.aspx

I'm going to the UK in a week and can assist but you need something that is sadly lacking in LOS

TRUST

I'm sure you could arrange with your local bank in the UK to send them the notes to put into your UK account and then you would be free to do what you wanted. It would much the same as popping into a local UK branch and putting your money inside one of those deposit envelopes and posting it inside the branch.

The Banks in the UK should go out of their way to help you put money in an account.

You can carry into the UK up to 10,000 Euros (or equivilent)

http://www.direct.go...theUK/DG_173289

Your currence keeps its face value forever

http://www.bankofeng.../exchanges.aspx

I'm going to the UK in a week and can assist but you need something that is sadly lacking in LOS

TRUST

To be pedantic you can take as much money as you like into the UK, its just that you need to complete the customs declaration form and are likely to be questioned as to where the money came from if its 10,000 euros plus. In the unlikely event you can find any documentation after 10 years, then take it - otherwise you might be given a hard time if you have any kind of police record.

In fact I was told by a customs official that they are actually interested in lesser amounts than 10,000 euros - even 1,000 or 2,000 and there has been talk about sniffer dogs at Heathrow that can detect money on TV.com (have seen dogs at Manchester too but who knows whether they are money-trained). That's a ridiculously low amount which many people carry on business and holiday. I wouldn't worry too much about that - again unless you have a record and are unlucky enough to get stopped. No need to declare such lesser amounts and they cannot expect you to have documentation though it will help you.

I used to think that the limit was 10,000 quid and have therefore carried more than 10,000 euros a few times out of the UK over the last 5 years. Never been sniffed/stopped.

I have carried and declared 10,000 + quid recently. Bit of a pain waiting for customs to come down from their offices at Manchester to quiz me, but they were civil and it was straightforward. One of them did make phone calls, presumably checking crime records. It was a bit of an experiment that I shall not bother repeating.

Edited by SantiSuk

there has been talk about sniffer dogs at Heathrow that can detect money on TV.com (have seen dogs at Manchester too but who knows whether they are money-trained). Never been sniffed/stopped.

I was stopped in April at LHR (outbound) when the dog sniffed my 'wages.' I told the guy the truth and that I was not money laundering and on my way, I went.

Edited by DILLIGAD