More Thai Soap Operas Told To Be Translated For 'Asean' Audience

webfact

When Thai soaps appear on TV in Lao, Cambodia or Myanmar you know that people are watching them purely to see the beautiful people. Thai soap operas feature jealousy, deceit, anger, greed, tensions among social classes, xenophobia, and other emotions and human behaviours that are the antithesis of the Thai culture that should be promoted. What bozo would want to have them translated into other Asian languages? If the words were translated then people might instead be turning down the volume on their sets, or worse the shows might be banned in some more conservative countries.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly feel the Thai T.V. channels should stop all the ridiculous dubbing of English spoken films and documentaries, I mean, those voices they use........ odd........ anyway, keep the original soundtrack and provide Thai subtitles......promote the English language which will be the uniting language of ASEAN.........or is that too practical for the bureautwats in BKK?

Not dubbing in the native language and not providing L1 subtitles on the boob tube is one of the main reasons Philippinos have such good English skills.

they are not intrested in learning and for sure not Engrish....i never understood the whitening and internet and office English words used on ALL Thaipapers, everything else is in English, just every year more and more Anglizism.... And the dubbing is pathetic.....all the time the same three or four ppl doing it, doesnt matter for what kind of movie or for how old the actors are in it..... BUT ... to buy <deleted> from other countries is cheaper as produce it byself...so have fun indonesia, Phillipinens and HOPEFULLY Europe.......because thats what Television is anyway - Cheap sh1t for the dumb masses....

Just once I would like to see a scene in a Thai soapy where the hi-so bitch delivers a roundhouse smack across the chops to her boyfriend/husband and gets well and truly snotted. A billboard picture of her knocked on her fat butt with an amazed look on her dial would double the audience overnight.

Just once I would like to see a scene in a Thai soapy where the hi-so bitch delivers a roundhouse smack across the chops to her boyfriend/husband and gets well and truly snotted. A billboard picture of her knocked on her fat butt with an amazed look on her dial would double the audience overnight.

when the heart broken hi so guy or gal gets.dumped and goes out to drown their sorrows, they drive home smashed in their red plated car of the day, if they simply killed themselves in a car accident, i would see that as a genuinely good plot.

• Like 2

I am sure that all the other ASEAN countries are just chopping at the bit for the Thai soaps, screaming wailing females, guns being waved around and the usual bitch slapping oh and a few ghosts real quality entertainment. When it comes to crap television Thailand certainly is the HUB.

• Like 1

Indo, Brunei & Malaysia are mostly Muslim. I hope they ban all Thai soap, because all of they contain lady boys of some sort, which is against the Muslim law to have sex with your own kind.

......or eat the goat after.

Edited by OzMick

Indo, Brunei & Malaysia are mostly Muslim. I hope they ban all Thai soap, because all of they contain lady boys of some sort, which is against the Muslim law to have sex with your own kind.

Have you ever seen a Thai soap opera where somebody had sex with a ladyboy, or a woman for that matter?

Innuendo is common when it comes to ladyboys.

It's all a cunning plot to undermine the IQs, and sap the vigor, of ASEAN competitors. Let's look forward to the day when the last bar of soap has been exported to our unsuspecting neighbors, when LOS eventually becomes soap-free and is restored to its rightful pre-eminent status in the region.

Mr Arkom suggested that many Thai cultures and traditions could be promoted to draw in more income to the country. He cited Thai soap operas, which are popular in many ASEAN neighbors should be translated into many languages, as he saw that cultural tourism has been increasingly popular.

Which OTOP is responsible for the 'culture' of Thai soaps?

Get the mini-buses ready, the tour guides trained and go-go-go!

Money will come pouring in.

They need to get their acts together in Thai TVland. Why can't they make some good police drama series? All they would have to do was to convert highly esteemed and successful foreign series to mould into the Thai culture.

NYPD Blue - RTP Brown

Dixon of Dock Green - Somjai of Klong Toei

Hill Street Blues - Sai Sukhumvit Browns

Hawii Five O - Koh Samet Gow Soon

Juliet Bravo - Foxtrot Oboe

Maigret - Mai Mee

The Bill - The Checkbin

T J Hooker - SC Hookers

Please feel free to add to the list.

They need to get their acts together in Thai TVland. Why can't they make some good police drama series? All they would have to do was to convert highly esteemed and successful foreign series to mould into the Thai culture.

NYPD Blue - RTP Brown

Maigret - Mai Mee

The Bill - The Checkbin

T J Hooker - SC Hookers

Downtown Abbey.

Callous (Dallas)

Eastbenders

• 1 month later...

NYPD Blue - RTP Brown

Maigret - Mai Mee

The Bill - The Checkbin

T J Hooker - SC Hookers

Law and Order - Lawless and Disorderly

Homicide: Life on the Street - Pesticide: Food from the street

Homeland - Farang Go homeland

Southland - The Insurgents

Boston Legal - Boston tea money party

Mission:Impossible - Political Reconciliation

A Touch of Frost - Yen Mahk Mahk

The Thin Blue Line - The Thick Brown skid

The Equalizer - The Chuwit

Miami Vice - Mae Sot Rice

Magnum P.I. - Maganam Classic (or Almond)

Nash Bridges - Flood breaches

Charlie's Angels - Somboon's Sluts

• Like 1