Whats Wrong With The Internet Right Now?

PostmanPat

I m with TOT, fairly high speed (Haha!!). For about three weeks now its been incredibly, frustratingly ridiculously slow......and from what I gather others with BBB, True etc also suffering similarly.

You can open a site, but then as you attempt to open pages within that site it either takes forever or wont navigate to those pages at all.

Does anyone know whats up? I gather this is all over Thailand on all providers. Has anyone read about, or had any explanation at all??

Rarely does a day go by without a thread like this.

No problems here in metro-Bangkok across ~ 12 DSL installs I support. Haven't had a complaint in ages. We migrated everyone from TOT to True as of ~ 3 months ago.

If you can share any details some here may be able to help you diagnose your potential issues and work-arounds.

When will all the internet users understand that this is Thailand, not some super modern country you may be from. Expect it to act up once in a while, and eventually it will go back the faster slow speed we are uded to.

This is not related to Thai ISP's. The broken cable is between Vietnam and Hong Kong.

It is, definetely. Look at this map, than click on AAG in the right column...

http://www.cablemap.info/

What I meant was that it's not Thai ISP's fault that the cable is broken where it is. The connection to Singapore has worked just fine.

EDIT: Damned, maybe I am wrong..

"Development of the AAG cable system was funded, at a cost of $500 million USD,[2] by 19 partners: AiTi of Brunei Darussalam, AT&T (USA), BayanTel (Philippines), Bharti (India), British Telecom Global Network Services (UK), CAT Telecom (Thailand), Telkom Indonesia (Indonesia), ETPI (Philippines), Ezecom/Telcotech (Cambodia), PLDT (Philippines), Saigon Postal Corporation (Vietnam), StarHub (Singapore), Telekom Malaysia, Telstra (Australia), Telecom New Zealand, Viettel (Vietnam), and the Vietnam Posts and Telecommunications Group."

http://en.wikipedia...._(cable_system)

It must be the conspiracy to bring Thaksin back, CAT's involved.

Edited by DrTuner

downloading torrents at fast speeds 300kB/s plus.

Websites opening up as normal and fast as well, and in Nonthaburi. Have you checked your computer, also check your router or modem to see what speeds it is set at.

Me too. 450 kbs

3 weeks it's so much, TOT is #$%# but I think you have a local problem.

Probably your modem/router it's the problem, this routers are more like computers than before so they have a small operative system with logs and another process and sometimes a normal reboot not help (still try it!)

Easy things first: (these things will fix a lot of another problems)

you can try it changing your dns to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and and looks if your surf go faster (TOT dns usually have problems)

you can check the speed of your hardisk with this tool hd_speed http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20 (the webpage looks old but the tool is pretty good)

check your C: for a desktop and new laptops between 75 and 100 it's ok, for old laptops (more than 2 years) between 50 and 75 it's normal.

If you have less speed, and problems with video check that in win7 "control panel" -> "device manager" -> "ide ata/atapi controlers" -> "ATA channel 0" or "primmary IDE channel" -> righ click and properties and in "Advanced Settings" check that your ide or ata 0 is "ultra DMA mode 5" (if you have somethign different I can explain the solution for this)

OR do a defrag of your hardisk, the windows tool work good but I prefer first clean the pc with ccleaner, and later use defraggler you can download both software free from http://www.piriform.com/

Virus!! you can check this on windows -> all programs -> accesories -> right click on command prompt -> run with administrative rights, and in the console write this netstat -bf, the normal is between 5 or 20 connections open with details about what program open the conenction and where, so if you see more than 10 .ru or .ch domains or programs like 3ed34ae32.exe or more than 50 connections probably you are inffected and your pc is a zoombie part of some viral network... since remove a virus it's expensive more than format and install a new windows, the unique alternative is backup all your data and make a full format and a fresh install, later run a full scan with your antivirus to clean your backups

Hard Reset of the router:

The last thing is to do a hard reset of the router, you need to have the TOT number in the hand, the router have a small hole in the back 2mm aprox, you can introduce a pen to press a bit a small button inside, you need to do this for 10 seconds, when it;s done the light of the routers should do a visible difference, since the router should reboot with the fabric settings.

For connect to the router, you need a network cable from your pc to the router, for go inside the administration area open your browser and add this direction 192.168.1.1 it propmpt for user pass, the user should be admin, pass tot, or tot pass admin or leve it blanck, If you have some problem in this step you need to call TOT, still before the hard reset you can check these user/pass. after login follow the instruction if have, you need to put now the user pass but from your ADSL connection (usually the phine nymber@tot or something similar), and at the end you must choose the wifi password, recommended use WPA2 (personal if you can select) with AES encription channel 1, 6 or 11, in teory that will be all, you can find more data on internet about your model, but I think is the clasical Billon.

If you not feel safe to do the hard reset you can call TOT and explain your problem, they all the time will send a people to check the cables close to your home, and when they check inside your home you ask for they do a hard reset since the router could be the problem.

after the hard reset check the sites more problematics, should work, if not after all this test, you must put presure to TOT or simple change to 3bb or another company, before do that try to check your connection with other pc, maybe something its wrong in your pc and its difficult to detect.

BTW I have been download at 750 KB/s from US almost two weeks 12 hours per day, no TOT problems at all, only the usual disconnections when it's raining here in Ao Nang

Edited by ITGabs
  • Like 1

I have 3BB Premier line 5M - 1M it's all fine in my next of the woods but at 2500THB a month you would want a reliable source of internet but last week my internet was taking something like 30 sec's to load a page in Europe and USA ..

hwluad.png

Edited by Notstupid30

Yesterday 3g and wifi was fine - today 3g is 15 KB/s (true in bangkok) ... ummm...

Sometimes it works, then again it's broken. Thai internet since years. The Vietnam cable problem may have some impact too, but it's not the only reason.

A Singapore VPN helps with slow browsing.