Thai Democrats Lay Out Governments Six Key 'Failings'

webfact

Democrats lay out govt's six key 'failings'

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Top Democrats yesterday delivered a poor scorecard for the government's first year in office, which will be marked this weekend, saying the administration had served vested interests instead of striving for the greater good.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva voiced disappointment that the Pheu Thai Party had won the people's mandate to govern but opted to serve fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Abhisit raised six issues that he said the government had omitted to address, which are included in the party's performance report.

The issues, phrased in six biting questions, are:

1. When will the government put the people's interest before the energy industry?

In the face of soaring prices, state-controlled PTT has reported Bt37 billion in profit for this year's first quarter, while the public is obliged to shoulder rising energy costs.

2. Will rice farmers ever receive more benefits from the rice-pledging scheme than rice-mill operators and middlemen?

The government appears to trumpet its intervention in the paddy price. But the fact is rice mills and brokers are the main beneficiaries of the corruption-plagued scheme and very little trickles down to the farmers.

3. When will the government put the country before the interests of one man - Thaksin?

The government has apparently pushed for reconciliation as a smokescreen to rescue Thaksin from his legal predicament.

4. When will Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra start to share the plight of local residents in the strife-torn South?

Yingluck has delegated officials to travel to the region on her behalf while she refuses to risk her safety.

5. When will the government show tangible results in flood-control projects?

Despite huge spending outlays, the government has become entangled in a non-transparent bidding process that in turn blocks the work's progress.

6. How will the government deal with the staggering public debt incurred to finance populist policies?

The country's fiscal position will remain at risk so long as the government opts to squander funds on stopgap measures instead of aiming for sustainable development.

Opposition chief whip Jurin Laksanavisit said the government had wasted its first year trying but failing to rescue Thaksin and return his seized ill-gotten wealth.

Jurin said he had four critical assessments of the government.

First, it tries to push for reconciliation as a pretext to engineer Thaksin's homecoming and crush the system of checks and balances.

Second, the government has earmarked a compensation package with a maximum payment of Bt7.5 million per victim to those allies involved in protests, but denies the same compensation to victims of other violent incidents, such as those in the South.

Third, the government has an ulterior motive in pushing for the charter rewrite. If Article 309 of the Constitution is scrapped, this will pave way to bring Thaksin home.

And fourth, the government is risking a new round of political disturbances because it refuses to drop the reconciliation bill, seen as legislation to whitewash Thaksin's wrongdoings.

Democrat MP Samart Ratchapolsit said the government had allocated Bt1.2 trillion for flood control in the current fiscal year but he detected no tangible progress on the work.

Several projects lacked transparency and were plagued by corruption, he said.

The construction of embankments for key waterways, such as Klong Phraya Banlue, Klong Rapheephat (southern section) and Klong Phra Ong Chao Chaiyanuchit, appeared to be substandard work, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-25

These clowns, whatever shirt they may wear, would get a lot more done if they would spend more time taking care of business and less time on critiquing the other's faults.

What do you think the job of opposition entails? Sitting there like a bunch of nodding dogs?

• Like 2

One other failing is the discrimination practices in National Park Prices between foreigners and Thai Citizens.

I haven't heard or read that being a Key Failing.

Of course on every turn I have absolutely refused to enter under those circumstances of 2 tier pricing. I will always refuse to pay any 2 tier pricing.

coffee1.gif

Edited by jerrysteve

The Rice Farmers need their own mills...and they need the knowlege of how to package and market their commodity to the markets and by-pass the middlemen.

I am sure they are smart enough to learn. And if the government is smart enough they will send some savvy people out to them to teach them.

The rising prices in Engery prices subject to world wide market conditions. No governments have control in that arena

Perhaps an organized unit like a co-opt and learn to hedge against future prices just as large hedge funds do. They can be taught how to do that rather than fall victum

to price fluctions and government scammers.

• Like 1

The rising prices in Engery prices subject to world wide market conditions. No governments have control in that arena

Perhaps an organized unit like a co-opt and learn to hedge against future prices just as large hedge funds do. They can be taught how to do that rather than fall victum

to price fluctions and government scammers.

I think I understand what you're saying but it looks like you must be using a small touch screen phone whilst being pulled over a rutted field in a cart led by a rabid horse!

In order to get some kind of cooperative working it will need funding and some form of organization such as the (possibly red shirt) village head or government which would put you back to square one.

Hedging could be done to some degree if the Thai commodities market had options available for rice etc.

We package and market the organic veggies we grow on our farm in the states directly to the end user. No middle man is involved.

Maybe that's why you have salmonella outbreaks every other week ...

http://www.nytimes.c...ickens-141.html

Furthermore regulations for exports are much more stringent than for the local market.

Edited by JurgenG

These clowns, whatever shirt they may wear, would get a lot more done if they would spend more time taking care of business and less time on critiquing the other's faults.

What do you think the job of opposition entails? Sitting there like a bunch of nodding dogs?

"The Job of Opposition"

Personally, when I vote to put someone in office, I vote for someone I think can get the job done, not someone I think will "oppose" everything "the other guys" lay out.

But, I am referring to everything about today's politics. These people spend very time trying to accomplish anything. They spend the majority of their efforts trying to gain more power and make the "opposition", from whichever side, look bad.

What's wrong when elected leaders can't seem to agree on anything? Kinda blatantly illustrates that it's all party politics and nothing to do with working for those they are elected to serve.

• Like 2

"The Job of Opposition"

Personally, when I vote to put someone in office, I vote for someone I think can get the job done, not someone I think will "oppose" everything "the other guys" lay out.

But, I am referring to everything about today's politics. These people spend very time trying to accomplish anything. They spend the majority of their efforts trying to gain more power and make the "opposition", from whichever side, look bad.

What's wrong when elected leaders can't seem to agree on anything? Kinda blatantly illustrates that it's all party politics and nothing to do with working for those they are elected to serve.

Maybe you have been lucky enough to have cast all your votes for the successful candidate. However, what do you think the unsuccessful candidates should do until the next election?

Whilst the elected leaders often prefer the sound of their own voices to either the party line or human logic , there is little in the way of open dissent that I have seen

• Like 1

One other failing is the discrimination practices in National Park Prices between foreigners and Thai Citizens.

I haven't heard or read that being a Key Failing.

Of course on every turn I have absolutely refused to enter under those circumstances of 2 tier pricing. I will always refuse to pay any 2 tier pricing.

coffee1.gif

Much as it annoys you (and rightly so) it's hardly a pressing national issue. But, like you, I refuse to enter

We package and market the organic veggies we grow on our farm in the states directly to the end user. No middle man is involved.

Maybe that's why you have salmonella outbreaks every other week ...

http://www.nytimes.c...ickens-141.html

Furthermore regulations for exports are much more stringent than for the local market.

Has the EU reclassified cantaloupes as vegetables?

The last vegetables bearing salmonella that I recall were the German bean sprouts that became an international disaster

"The Job of Opposition"

When a pack of criminals are elected, you expect the opposition to agree to the govenment's corruption when they are not getting a cut?

Of course this can be overcome by forming a coalition, and thus getting a place at the trough.

so valid points, some smoke and mirrors. when the opposition was in power i really dont remember them working for the people either. it would be great if they could pass bills without thinking of how much of the money will go in their pockets, but that dream seems so unlikely that i have lost hope.

"The Job of Opposition"

Fine, you expect the people who form the government to govern ("only pre-election promises", anyone ?), and you surely also expect the Opposition to do its job too, to question the policies' execution and highlight any apparent failures.

They don't just sit on their hands, until the next election, you know !

The Dems are doing their job, fulfilling their proper role under a democratic-system, and (Thank God !) are not rioting on the streets of the capital, while demanding an early-election, as PTP's supporters did. ermm.gif

YEA! its not like they shut down an airport or anything.... err wait, nevermind.

Fine, you expect the people who form the government to govern ("only pre-election promises", anyone ?), and you surely also expect the Opposition to do its job too, to question the policies' execution and highlight any apparent failures.

They don't just sit on their hands, until the next election, you know !

The Dems are doing their job, fulfilling their proper role under a democratic-system, and (Thank God !) are not rioting on the streets of the capital, while demanding an early-election, as PTP's supporters did. ermm.gif

YEA! its not like they shut down an airport or anything.... err wait, nevermind.

They (the Democrats) didn't.

"The Job of Opposition"

Maybe you have been lucky enough to have cast all your votes for the successful candidate. However, what do you think the unsuccessful candidates should do until the next election?

Whilst the elected leaders often prefer the sound of their own voices to either the party line or human logic , there is little in the way of open dissent that I have seen

They should do their freaking jobs, the jobs they were elected, SUCCESSFULLY, to do! The elections are over.

It's time to put away the dissent, work with what they have and do what can be done, in spite of their political views.

Edited by Curt1591

They should do their freaking jobs, the jobs they were elected, SUCCESSFULLY, to do! The elections are over.

It's time to put away the dissent, work with what they have and do what can be done, in spite of their political views.

What is the job of an elected MP that ends up being in the opposition?

If they don't agree with the government's plans, what should they do?

• Like 1

PM pleased with government’s 1-year performance

image_201208251033405BD79D20-0767-9569-2896749258541EAE.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 25 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra reportedly expressed her satisfaction on Friday over the performance of her government’s first year in office.

Government spokeswoman Sansanee Narkpong told a news conference that the prime minister called a meeting with Cabinet members from the Pheu Thai Party to review the government’s performance for the occasion of its first anniversary. The government took office on Aug 8 last year.

The prime minister also wanted to collect and consolidate information from the cabinet members to inform the public as well as prepare for an upcoming parliamentary debate.

Suranand Vejjajiva, secretary general to the prime minister, said the performance was reviewed in two categories: urgent and general policies.

In the past year, he said, the government’s performance had been affected by some urgent issues including the massive floods and world’s economic crisis.

He admitted that there had been loopholes in the government’s operations in resolving some urgent problems, adding that each ministry was instructed to submit its performance report by next week.

The Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office will collect reports from all ministries to be submitted to the prime minister so that she can prepare her statement for a parliamentary debate, tentatively scheduled for September.

There will not be a vote of no-confidence after the debate, Mr Suranand said.

Concerning the opposition Democrat Party’s criticism on the government’s one-year performance, Mr Suranand said it was the duty of the opposition to check the government and the government would be willing to listen to constructive feedback.

Some of the issues attacked by the opposition were unsettled problems from the previous Democrat government such as the southern unrest, economic problems, and Thailand’s monetary and financial discipline, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-25

What is the job of an elected MP that ends up being in the opposition?

If they don't agree with the government's plans, what should they do?

Sell out for the best deal they can get, join the governing-coalition in spite of their political-views, and enjoy the gravy-train ... would seem to be the common choice for Thailand's minor political-parties ! sick.gif

For example the people who were in the Democrat-led coalition-government, and are now welcomed into the PTP-led coalition-government, sometimes even getting the same jobs as before. wink.png

Or take a principled stand and form a loyal-Opposition, acting as a check-&-balance on the new government, pointing-out when they're failing to do what they promised the voters, and working within the system such-as-it-is. thumbsup.gif

All outcomes preordained by circumstances and personalities involved.

Totally predictable and utterly tragic 1 year results.

To imagine that these results should NOT be critiqued in detail is foolishness.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

That is what they are there for. I take it you are for a dictatorship under Thaksin.

There is enough uneducated Thais to think the PT is doing a wonderful job. And they know it to be a fact because Thaksin said so.

• Like 1

"The Job of Opposition"

Did it not occur to you that trying to stop these phoney populist schemes is working for the people.

Are you saying you only vote for yes men no matter what the proposal is.

• Like 1

PM pleased with government’s 1-year performance

image_201208251033405BD79D20-0767-9569-2896749258541EAE.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 25 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra reportedly expressed her satisfaction on Friday over the performance of her government’s first year in office.

Government spokeswoman Sansanee Narkpong told a news conference that the prime minister called a meeting with Cabinet members from the Pheu Thai Party to review the government’s performance for the occasion of its first anniversary. The government took office on Aug 8 last year.

The prime minister also wanted to collect and consolidate information from the cabinet members to inform the public as well as prepare for an upcoming parliamentary debate.

Suranand Vejjajiva, secretary general to the prime minister, said the performance was reviewed in two categories: urgent and general policies.

In the past year, he said, the government’s performance had been affected by some urgent issues including the massive floods and world’s economic crisis.

He admitted that there had been loopholes in the government’s operations in resolving some urgent problems, adding that each ministry was instructed to submit its performance report by next week.

The Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office will collect reports from all ministries to be submitted to the prime minister so that she can prepare her statement for a parliamentary debate, tentatively scheduled for September.

There will not be a vote of no-confidence after the debate, Mr Suranand said.

Concerning the opposition Democrat Party’s criticism on the government’s one-year performance, Mr Suranand said it was the duty of the opposition to check the government and the government would be willing to listen to constructive feedback.

Some of the issues attacked by the opposition were unsettled problems from the previous Democrat government such as the southern unrest, economic problems, and Thailand’s monetary and financial discipline, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-25

She claims

""In the past year, he said, the government’s performance had been affected by some urgent issues including the massive floods and world’s economic crisis."

I will give her the flood and not saying it was handled properly but what is different in the world economy that wasn't all ready there?

Why the phoney excuse.

Then the article goes on to say

"He admitted that there had been loopholes in the government’s operations in resolving some urgent problems, adding that each ministry was instructed to submit its performance report by next week."

Loopholes my ass. out and out corruption and ignoring of the problem by putting all their efforts int white washing the Clone's brother.

Some how I just can't see a report come out saying I made x million bahts by over paying for boats and other corrupt methods. And then go on to say we failed in are attempt to white wash Thaksin but we will keep trying.

How come instead of a photo of one of their accomplishments we get one of her? She is not an accomplishment of theirs. She is a accomplishment of Thaksin.

That is what they are there for. I take it you are for a dictatorship under Thaksin.

There is enough uneducated Thais to think the PT is doing a wonderful job. And they know it to be a fact because Thaksin said so.

Father knows best.