Is It Like This Everywhere ?

CharlieH

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want quality goods you have to pay for them.

Buy cheap and you know it's going to fall apart in a couple of weeks.

It's not just here. Go to a market back home and buy cheap Chinese tools, they don't last any time at all!!!!!!

• Like 2

Step up the quality and you will have different results, if you buy a disposable screw driver, yes it has a short life, for tools you need to go to an upmarket hardware store for good quality. I bought a 1000 bt dvd player, it didn't work at all, I returned it the next day, exchanged for the same kind and it has worked perfectly now for 3 years...some cheapstuff works. Most better quality items come with a longer waranty.

Tried the "get what you pay for" and it doesnt make a great deal of difference, I troed the approach of pay more and it made little to no difference accept as said if you go for brand names with Electrical stuff.

I would happily pay whatever for the "quality" if I could find it.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

It's not just here. Go to a market back home and buy cheap Chinese tools, they don't last any time at all!!!!!!

Absolutely agree with you.

We deal in almost all the products the OP mentioned, we export them all over the world and it's clear that the customer get what he pays for.

It has nothing to do if it is Chinese made or not. Nowadays even the biggest brand manufacture in China. It mostly depends of the quality of the components and the quality of the workforce. Here again you get what you pay for

Always ask the seller where the items are made, and if they have any alternatives available that are more expensive. I usually avoid anything that is 'made in china' now as the quality is absolutely <deleted>.

Usually you pay an extra 20% and get a lot better quality.

• Like 1

There are consumer rights in Thailand, caught in the Consumer Protection Act of 25xx

It states that most (non-food) items can be returned within 7 days of purchase upon return of your money.

Items that go with a one or two year warranty can be brought to a local service center or sent to Bangkok where it will be repaired or replaced.

In the first case you have to go back to the store where you bought the item, in the second case you'll have to find a place where they usually service the items. You can return them to the store, but then it may take weeks or even months before it will be returned.

I bought a new "directors chair" at Macro , 3700 THB, two weeks ago, the 5 year old 2k baht one I bought at a down town Udon Thani furniture shop had his wheels gone South.

Thus one week after purchase the fake leather seat fabric is pealing off.

I guess I should have bought a 40k directors chair? sick.gif

I also noticed a can of coke zero is somewhat light, on the kitchen electronic balance 220gr not the 335gr or so.

I wonder what will happen at Tesco's if I do return the item? ermm.gif

Edited by tartempion

Always been the case here with cheap stuff, but particularly so since China has ramped up the churning out of tat with the cheapest, thinnest plastics they can generate. Back home, you may get some decent stuff on offer and the lack of bottom end rubbish is certainly apparent, but it's generally about-face here. As others; you need to spend, though that doesn't always work either. Just had an expensive Stanley tape (from Home Pro) fall to bits as quickly as a cheapo fake. With regard to power tools, it is a must to get a brand name as motors, bearings, plastics are always inferior on the no-name stuff.

Things will also deteriorate faster in this environment, with high heat, sun and humidity (especially silicon), plus the power supply is fraught with peaks and troughs, which screws with electronics and insulation. Stick with Makita (not Chinese sister Maktec) for power tools, and the most expensive imports for hand tools. If they had the likes of Facom, Craftsman, Britool here, you wouldn't need to make this post, but would also have a lighter pocket. smile.png

• Like 1

I agree. I always get Issan. Durable, long lasting, short recovery time, never had one break yet.

• Like 2

If you take the time and spend the money to get quality it will be cheeper in the long run.

buy 3 cheep grinders for 400 Bt that last a job or two or get the 2000 Bt grinder and it last 15 years

Buy the cheep partical board furniture andif the bugs don't get it the humidity will in a year or two or go with the good solid wood and it will last a life time

Quality always pays, buy the best you can afford

• Like 1

We've given up on electric kettles, even the more expensive Phillips one only lasted about 3 months, so I bought a Seagull stainless steel one for the gas hob, with a nice whistle.

I've had my Electrolux kettle for 4 years.....

Its all very well saying buy this make or that brand, BUT ITS NOT AVAILABLE HERE !!!!! ("here" meaning my area)

I did state this in the original post about "where you are" here you cant buy quality thats my whole point, and in post no.4 I stated I have tried paying more but that doesnt always work either so its not a case of getting what you pay for either.

This is a rural area, mostly farming community. If I was living in the larger cities some of the points would be valid and frankly probably I wouldnt even make the post.

I am not about to take a 10 hr return bus trip to Bangkok for a Stanley scew driver or DeWalt grinder !

I know the well known brands but dont particularly want to spend hours on the road getting them. Before some one else says it, Ok my fault for living in the boonies.

To put that into perspective the nearest HomePro or similiar involves a 5 hr drive.

my point was "its not available here" all you can get is cheap crap in this area and was it the same around your area.

Edited by CharlieH

You buy a screwdriver, it rounds off, as its too soft

Buy... Stanley, Snap-on or Facom

You buy a hammer and the handle breaks off the head.

Buy... Stanley or Estwing

The tube of Silicon sealant is dry half way down the tube.

Buy... Sony brand

Power tools are dead in a very short time.

Buy.... Bosch, De-Walt, Ryobi or Makita, It really all comes down to the quality of equipment you purchase, and of course how you use and look after them.

Major stores (Tesco as an example) only give a 7 day "guarantee" so they must know its crap.

They have a 7 day "return" policy as standard, but the manufacturers warranty usually extends beyond that, make sure receipt and warranty card are stamped at time of purchase.

Furniture de-laminates and warps in a few months and looks terrible.

Buy..... hardwood furniture or keep the laminated stuff dry and out of the sun.

Desk chairs with castors, the legs always break as they are cheap plastic.

Buy .... Chairs with cast aluminium legs or go on a diet.

Anything with a chrome type finish becomes rusty scrap in weeks.

Buy ... Solid Stainless fittings.

Spend the money and stop being a cheap CharlieH tongue.png

You missed the point completely, and actually it was SONY silicon in that instance.

Its all very well saying buy this make or that brand, BUT ITS NOT AVAILABLE HERE !!!!! ("here" meaning my area)

I did state this in the original post about "where you are" here you cant buy quality thats my whole point, and in post no.4 I stated I have tried paying more but that doesnt always work either so its not a case of getting what you pay for either.

This is a rural area, mostly farming community. If I was living in the larger cities some of the points would be valid and frankly probably I wouldnt even make the post.

I am not about to take a 10 hr return bus trip to Bangkok for a Stanley scew driver or DeWalt grinder !

I know the well known brands but dont particularly want to spend hours on the road getting them. Before some one else says it, Ok my fault for living in the boonies.

To put that into perspective the nearest HomePro or similiar involves a 5 hr drive.

my point was "its not available here" all you can get is cheap crap in this area and was it the same around your area.

Stating "this area" but not telling us where that is doesnt help

The amount of times I have had this conversation. Typical example is that they have bought "yet another" electric Sukiyaki hotpot. They are buying the B600 item from Lotus, BigC, etc. I tell them to spend B2,000 on a Zebra induction heater and B500 on a Zebra pan. They look at me like I am crazy and carry on spending B600 every 3 months. 2 years later they have spent B4800 and visited the supermarket 8 times. I have spent B2,500 and made one trip to Central. 2 years later I sold the pan and cooker for B800 so I only spent B1,700.

You have to travel 5 hours. There must be some benefits in that for you, so you need to make your journeys make to the urban sprawl count when you make them.

Edited by draftvader
  • Like 2

thanks for posting this, einstein.

machettes where the blade comes off the handle when you swing it. leaving you holding the handle

clothes (esp shorts) where the button comes off (always get shorts with the metal fly button, not sewed on). they dont criss cross the thread to make it secure.

packages for food that don't seperate when you pull them apart (you have to cut them).

thin cushions on chairs (so you have to buy two cushions for everything to not have your but on wood)

point is, buying to of everything or twice as soon makes the cost double. and you have to deal with the 'cheapness' of it rather then getting a quality product that costs double and is satisfying to use.

• Like 1

Always been the case here with cheap stuff, but particularly so since China has ramped up the churning out of tat with the cheapest, thinnest plastics they can generate. Back home, you may get some decent stuff on offer and the lack of bottom end rubbish is certainly apparent, but it's generally about-face here. As others; you need to spend, though that doesn't always work either. Just had an expensive Stanley tape (from Home Pro) fall to bits as quickly as a cheapo fake. With regard to power tools, it is a must to get a brand name as motors, bearings, plastics are always inferior on the no-name stuff.

Things will also deteriorate faster in this environment, with high heat, sun and humidity (especially silicon), plus the power supply is fraught with peaks and troughs, which screws with electronics and insulation. Stick with Makita (not Chinese sister Maktec) for power tools, and the most expensive imports for hand tools. If they had the likes of Facom, Craftsman, Britool here, you wouldn't need to make this post, but would also have a lighter pocket. smile.png

Not had a Maktec fail yet. The reason as the tool shop I buy from who repair tools told me. The parts are exactly the same in both.

And some/most of the much more expensive European, Japanese, US, whatever brands that are sold here are specialy made for sale in Asia with lesser quality parts than used in their tools for sale in the west. Unless you import them yourself you don't know what you are getting.

You're right, Charlie, and many of the posters are missing your point. Thai products, in general, are crap. Thais will buy the same pair of flip-flops, that last a few weeks, time and time again, not realizing how much it is actually costing them. My GF can't believe I have worn the same pair of flip-flops almost daily, since I bought them in Mexico in 2007. Soles are made from old tires. They are very attractive, with leather strapping, and still look new. I paid $18 for them.

I bought a pair of flips here for 300 baht, last month. They're coming apart.

I bought a kitchen appliance at Home Pro. I opened the box in the store to be sure it had a ground. After all, it was going to be used in a wet environment and I had paid good baht to install grounded plugs in my house (even though the "electrician" said I didn't need such things).

I plugged the sucker in, filled it with water, and pressed the switch. My GF came running into the kitchen. She thought I'd just been nailed by a cobra. Scared the hell out of her when I screamed from all the current running into my armpit.

Took the appliance apart. Only two wires inside. No ground wire. That third terminal, inside, was just sitting there.

I hated going to WalMart in the States. If you want to see why, go here ...

http://www.peopleofw.../photos/page/5/

I would kill to have one here now. 30-count'm-30 days return (cash, even if you used your Visa) and no questions asked.