The Way To Guarantee Failure In Thailand........

theblether

I think theblether has made some very valid points.

A lot of Ex-Pats myself included got blackmailed into coming to Thailand. Fortunatly for me (I am in the UK again on business until Christmas), I can escape from time to time, but you do need to learn to adapt or you will not have an enjoyable time.

Thailand compared to the UK is a breeze. Nice weather, nice women and above all there is a generally optimistic attitude that I find very attractive. I am not saying you have to go as far as me and become a Thai Citizen, but try to emmerse yourself in the language to start with. Then try and learn to cook Thai Food, its fun.

Slowly but surely leave the remnants of your old life behind at least at the border/airport anyway.

If not you will surely (and those that know me on here know the truth), you will end up drinking 10 large bottles of Chang a day, smoking like a chimney and dreaming how great things used to be back in the old country. As was pointed out to me, they will give you 4-6 years like that, then you either end up dead or going home broke to live in a hostel.

Thailand is one of the most enlighted places to live, it has its problems, where doesnt, but the Thai People genuinely welcome foreigners and lets face it, thats what you are. Think how the old countries treated their foreigners especially when they didnt want to adapt.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is one of the most enlighted places to live, it has its problems, where doesnt, but the Thai People genuinely welcome foreigners and lets face it, thats what you are. Think how the old countries treated their foreigners especially when they didnt want to adapt.

Seriously, there are a lot of words available to describe Thailand, enlightened is an antonym to most of them.

Seriously, there are a lot of words available to describe Thailand, enlightened is an antonym to most of them.

if they don't want to be antonyms, they should not use a non de plum then.

My general impression of all this is that it's a bunch of cliched generalizations. Each expat comes to their new country with their baggage, and adjusts to the new reality in their unique personal way. There is no magic formula for success or failure, nor is their a universal definition of success or failure as an expat. In my view, staying a while and then running away is a success if that's what is the best for that person.

In my 20 years here, I have yet to find anything at all 'unique' in the dim and dull making up 90% of the expat population here. The other 10% are of course quite interesting, delightful, and very few on the ground.

That's the attitude to get along in a foreign country. Call all the natives the opposite of enlightened. BTW was is the opposite of success in Thailand?

That's the attitude to get along in a foreign country. Call all the natives the opposite of enlightened. BTW was is the opposite of success in Thailand?

I get along just fine here, but I am not going to call a pig a dog just to make someone happy. Some people are aware/ switched on, but I wouldn't say Thailand excels at this. In fact I am quite convinced that dumbing down the working class is an unwritten policy here.

I get along just fine here, but I am not going to call a pig a dog just to make someone happy. Some people are aware/ switched on, but I wouldn't say Thailand excels at this. In fact I am quite convinced that dumbing down the working class is an unwritten policy here.

A lot of times life is a self fulfilling prophecy. You expect the worst and tell people that you expect the worst and that is what you get.

The self-fulfilling prophecy is, in the beginning, a false definition of the situation evoking a new behavior which makes the original false conception come 'true'. This specious validity of the self-fulfilling prophecy perpetuates a reign of error. For the prophet will cite the actual course of events as proof that he was right from the very beginning.

Am I wrong? Not for me because I don't have the same problems as I am sure you and the dog poop guy have.

You are wrong. A self fulfilling prophecy is a prediction. What I said was an observation.

I like Thailand just fine. i have been here for 10 years and I will be here for the next 20 or more. But for Thailand as well as my original country, I am not blind to its failings.

If you think enlightened is a good word to describe Thailand than good for you - you have joined a very special club.

• Like 1

In other words, a prophecy, strongly held belief, or a delusion, declared as truth when it is actually false may sufficiently influence people, either through fear or logical confusion, so that their reactions ultimately fulfill the once-false belief. Wiki said that.

Your using it wrong, even with Wiki's help.

My opinion is not causing anything to occur. Your not blaming the missing 'what if' gene on me. Thailand developed that on its own.

One way is to listen to people who live 6000 miles away and actually believe they know what they are talking about.

I'm beginning to understand this message. I see now that the most loquacious members of this website are individuals who reside, as you say, a long way from these shores.

I think that a forum's validity as a worthwhile resource can be easily undermined by those who contribute in order to be heard as opposed to those who contribute in order to debate, educate and elucidate.

Let's just say that Thailand (and its related forums) often attracts the wrong kind of individual.

Edited by ThailandMysteries

One way is to listen to people who live 6000 miles away and actually believe they know what they are talking about.

I'm beginning to understand this message. I see now that the most loquacious members of this website are individuals who reside, as you say, a long way from these shores.

I think that a forum's validity as a worthwhile resource can be easily undermined by those who contribute in order to be heard as opposed to those who contribute in order to debate, educate and elucidate.

Let's just say that Thailand (and its related forums) often attracts the wrong kind of individual.

Oh so you have to live in a place to know something about it, i never knew that.

Edited by Cobalt60

Oh so you have to live in a place to know something about it, i never knew that.

It helps

I have lived in Thailand full time since 1990, in December thats 22 years, not holidays , not extended visits, but I live here, ok, lets put ot this way, in the past 22 years I have spent a total of 3 months in the UK, what can a guy that lives 6000 miles away and is a sometime tourist teach me about life in Thailand?

They dont live in Thailand yet they give advice to people who may already have lived here for many years, wheras they have not, how can they give advice ?

So you think actually living in Thailand as opposed to not living in Thailand has no bearing on the matter, are you insane ?

I have lived in Thailand full time since 1990, in December thats 22 years, not holidays , not extended visits, but I live here, ok, lets put ot this way, in the past 22 years I have spent a total of 3 months in the UK, what can a guy that lives 6000 miles away and is a sometime tourist teach me about life in Thailand?

They dont live in Thailand yet they give advice to people who may already have lived here for many years, wheras they have not, how can they give advice ?

Living in Thailand for a long time doesn't necessarily imply a great understanding of Thai society and culture. For example, long term inmates in Bangkok's notorious prisons couldn't provide very useful recommendations on restaurants in Chiang Mai.

Also, some people are just not that insightful and hence experience (and even knowledge) of a given topic does not necessarily imply greater understanding, nor the ability to see the topic in perspective (or to explain aspects of it clearly to other people).

I assume you haven't been stuck in a Bangkok cell for the last 22 years and I assume you have a fully functioning brain. Hence, I look forward to you kindly sharing the fantastic wisdom you have accumulated during your many years in Thailand.

• Like 2

Living in Thailand for a long time doesn't necessarily imply a great understanding of Thai society and culture. For example, long term inmates in Bangkok's notorious prisons couldn't provide very useful recommendations on restaurants in Chiang Mai.

Also, some people are just not that insightful and hence experience (and even knowledge) of a given topic does not necessarily imply greater understanding, nor the ability to see the topic in perspective (or to explain aspects of it clearly to other people).

I assume you haven't been stuck in a Bangkok cell for the last 22 years and I assume you have a fully functioning brain. Hence, I look forward to you kindly sharing the fantastic wisdom you have accumulated during your many years in Thailand.

Idiotic, childish and naive.

If the author of the post you are quoting were in a prison, it's unlikely he would have access to the internet.

Wisdom is not a tangible that can be sub-divided into parts and shared at will.

Edited by ThailandMysteries
  • Like 1

I totally agree.

Please email George and do a Groucho Marx;

"Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member"

Problem solved.

• Like 1

I know such a person, while there he learnt to speak excellent Thai, he now lives in CM and could provide recommendations on many subjects in CM, either in English or Thai.

So you think actually living in Thailand as opposed to not living in Thailand has no bearing on the matter, are you insane ?

I have to agree (reluctantly) with MrsMills.

Those who don't live here full time, rarely have a clue about anything. They come over here and co-habit with a Thai lady for a week or two and think they have lived with a Thai lady. Try living with her for 6 months and you begin to gain worthwhile opinions on Thai ladies. Yet the tourist will argue that he knows what's going on, despite only seeing his love while she is fully in control of herself and their situation. Once you have lived with them for a while (months not weeks), then they let the facade slip and all hell breaks loose. Part-timers also rarely know or understand that their gfs/partners have other lovers when they are away, no matter how much money they pay the girl, how much they give to set them up in business or how much they love each other. But someone who lives here will see them 'working the crowd' and understand more about what is happening. (not every gf/partner of course, but a significant proportion)

It's the same will almost every other aspect of life in Thailand. Tourists just don't see behind the facade.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

I have to agree with MrsMills.

Those who don't live here full time, rarely have a clue about anything. They come over here and co-habit with a Thai lady for a week or two and think they have lived with a Thai lady. Try living with her for 6 months and you begin to gain worthwhile opinions on Thai ladies. Yet the tourist will argue that he knows what's going on, despite only seeing his love while she is fully in control of herself and their situation. Once you have lived with them for a while (months not weeks), then they let the facade slip and all hell breaks loose.

It's the same will almost every other aspect of life in Thailand. Tourists just don't see behind the facade.

This has been covered before but just to remind you all of those happy folks who arrive with lots of cash....have a great time an then leave again with a bit less cash.

They will be back again for a few months and repeat. Not all or even a majority of tourists living like this are fools, but then such is life when you use sweeping generalisations.

• Like 1

Ofcourse they don't know as much as the long termers that live here.

However, i find a number of them have travelled the country more extensively than an expat, as you would coming here on holidays, but they also bring a brighter more positive outlook on the country than a number of tired worn out cynical expats which is quite refreshing.