Officials Decide Military Reshuffle, Not The Thai Govt: Yuthasak

webfact

MILITARY RESHUFFLE

Officials decide, not the govt: Yuthasak

Anabpan Deechuay

The Nation

30189128-01_big.jpg

Yuthasak

Deputy Prime Minister General Yuthasak Sasiprapa dismissed reports yesterday that the government had interfered in the annual military reshuffle.

BANGKOK: -- Yuthasak commented after Defence Ministry permanent secretary Gen Sathien Permthong-in submitted a letter to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra stating that military reshuffle procedures were not carried out in accordance with the Defence Ministry's regulations. Selection for the Defence Ministry permanent secretary's post, for instance, must include the most senior official, General Chatri Thidti.

Sathien's letter stated that Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat had said if Chatri was proposed for the post, he would replace him and appoint General Thanongsak Apirakyothin in his place. Sathien also said he would be replaced by Thanongsak, as official in charge of the annual reshuffle list with the Defence Ministry.

Sukampol said yesterday he would talk with Sathien about the matter. But he was evasive on whether he really intended to interfere in the reshuffle.

"I don't want to become news. I can't say anything right now because I want to talk to Sathien first," the minister said.

Yuthasak insisted the military reshuffle was decided by a committee of six officials from the Royal Thai Armed Forces, the three Armed Forces, the Defence Ministry permanent secretary and the Defence Minister. He said all six officials had the right to propose change. He did not think Sathien's protest letter showed a rift between the government and the military. Although Sathien was correct that officials with seniority should be selected to the Defence Ministry permanent secretary post, he said the committee would make the final decision.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-27

PTP wants to select their own crony?

There's a surprise!

Isn't it normal in most countries that top positions are appointed by the government with consultation with military chiefs? I know in Australia positions like the Chief of the defence force is Government appointed and shared b/w the Army/Navy/Airforce (a rotation) other organisations like the police forces also are government appointed (chief Comm) They still work independently but senior positions are government appointmennts.

There's a surprise!

Isn't it normal in most countries that top positions are appointed by the government with consultation with military chiefs? I know in Australia positions like the Chief of the defence force is Government appointed and shared b/w the Army/Navy/Air Force (a rotation) other organisations like the police forces also are government appointed (chief Comm) They still work independently but senior positions are government appointments.

You can't compare Australia to Thailand or Asia, one is a democratic run government , the commander in Chief , senior officers, armed forces have no political role , in this case all senior government officials are Generals (trade off from the Junta, free elections, student protests, 1992 i think) it's like the money is in that bank accnt, my good friend.

There's a surprise!

Isn't it normal in most countries that top positions are appointed by the government with consultation with military chiefs? I know in Australia positions like the Chief of the defence force is Government appointed and shared b/w the Army/Navy/Airforce (a rotation) other organisations like the police forces also are government appointed (chief Comm) They still work independently but senior positions are government appointmennts.

The Thai army has its own procedures that the government wants to override

• Like 1

There's a surprise!

The Thai army has its own procedures that the government wants to override

Good luck with that.

• Like 1

There's a surprise!

While comparing, you could also contrast. In Australia, we appoint people of proven intelligence, management skills and achievements. Here that is seemingly irrelevant compared to which class you attended (read cronyism), to whom you are related either directly or by marriage (nepotism), and to which political R-sole you are prepared to sell you soul, not to mention your country (corruption).

When those factors become insignificant, it might be a good idea to let the politicians have more influence. But while the government is run like a criminal conspiracy by Chalerm and Thaksin's glove puppet, perhaps not.

And besides, they have their own army, or so they believe.

• Like 2

There's a surprise!

Yes, but you are talking a civilized nation, with rule of law, in mentioning Australia. They have a well organized armed forces, that is controlled by the government. In Thailand, we have a government that is controlled by the armed forces. It has always been that way. Do not forget, the armed forces is the second largest landowner in Thailand, owning approximately 9,000,000 rai of land. Do you realize how rich and powerful that makes them? There is little in the way of limits, to their power and control. Hence all the coups in the past. They do not get their way, and they install a new govt. That simple. You have 10 power hungry, super rich generals running the whole show. Welcome to the LOS.

Yingluck role is in the kitchen, NOT run the army.

What a disgusting misogynistic comment. Bare foot and pregnant eh? Would be OK if only she was born with a dick huh? Guys who post comments like yours really need to move out of the stone age and grow a brain.

• Like 1

What a disgusting misogynistic comment. Bare foot and pregnant eh? Would be OK if only she was born with a dick huh? Guys who post comments like yours really need to move out of the stone age and grow a brain.

I would have a go at you if I new what misogynistic was. Japanese Soup for yeast infections is it?

• Like 1

I can't imagine a democracy where the army tells the governmnet that military reshuffle is not it's business! And the ignorant who support that army are those who want Thailand to keep be threatened by the army!

In any democracy the Defence minister tells the highest general what to do and not vice-versa!

It is therefore normal that this gorvernment wants to do it, too so that they can finally act like a government and don't need to feer another military coup!

I can't imagine a democracy where the army tells the governmnet that military reshuffle is not it's business! And the ignorant who support that army are those who want Thailand to keep be threatened by the army!

In any democracy the Defence minister tells the highest general what to do and not vice-versa!

It is therefore normal that this gorvernment wants to do it, too so that they can finally act like a government and don't need to feer another military coup!

sounds like singapore.

There's a surprise!

While comparing, you could also contrast. In Australia, we appoint people of proven intelligence, management skills and achievements. Here that is seemingly irrelevant compared to which class you attended (read cronyism), to whom you are related either directly or by marriage (nepotism), and to which political R-sole you are prepared to sell you soul, not to mention your country (corruption).

When those factors become insignificant, it might be a good idea to let the politicians have more influence. But while the government is run like a criminal conspiracy by Chalerm and Thaksin's glove puppet, perhaps not.

Buddy, no matter what, Thailand has a democratically chosen government and this government should be able to govern according to law. Period.

This is the only way to come to the heart of the problem and answers to questions like: "Does Thailand actually have a democratic chosen government with power or is it run by other forces" ?

Every foreigner on this panel thinks they know the answer and knows how it should and would work of course but none of us really knows how or what, we haven't got a clue.

You mention "a criminal conspiracy by Chalerm and Thaksin's glove puppet", but was the military cooperation between their glove puppet Abhisit and his crony Suthep that much less corrupt or that much better ???

I also do not know but think it is better to let the Thais run their own country.

There's a surprise!

Buddy, no matter what, Thailand has a democratically chosen government and this government should be able to govern according to law. Period.

This is the only way to come to the heart of the problem and answers to questions like: "Does Thailand actually have a democratic chosen government with power or is it run by other forces" ?

Every foreigner on this panel thinks they know the answer and knows how it should and would work of course but none of us really knows how or what, we haven't got a clue.

You mention "a criminal conspiracy by Chalerm and Thaksin's glove puppet", but was the military cooperation between their glove puppet Abhisit and his crony Suthep that much less corrupt or that much better ???

I also do not know but think it is better to let the Thais run their own country.

Rather contradictory. The country IS being run by another force: a self-exiled criminal. Speak for your self about 'not having a clue'. Yes, the former government was much less corrupt than the current one. Not totally corruption free mind as Newin's lot had to be reigned in too many times by Abhisit.

Pretty obvious to let the Thais run their country but who said they shouldn't?

• Like 2

"Sathien's letter stated that Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat had said if Chatri was proposed for the post, he would replace him and appoint General Thanongsak Apirakyothin in his place. Sathien also said he would be replaced by Thanongsak, as official in charge of the annual reshuffle list with the Defence Ministry."

Pretty clear case of blackmail by a Minister. To make it a public statement? Stupid - really stupid...

• Like 1

There's a surprise!

Only in Thailand. After all the military has been through over these past several years, they don't trust anyone outside of their ranks. Rightfully so, it seems the military is the only stable and sane branch of the government right now. Having the Yingluck governmenting trying to control the military, while monopolizing all the other branches of government agencies under their span of control is dangerous ground to tread on. Don't mess with the military.

There's a surprise!

That's in normal democracies; TIT!

There's a surprise!

You just answered your own question, methinks.

"Isn't it normal in most countries that top positions are appointed by the government with consultation with military chiefs" wink.png

I must confess I added to this myself although in my defence I did suggest she might be able to present fraudulent accounts, which if you're coming from a sexist angle isn't really a job for a woman. And it was only a joke.

It may be that this is a comment on the position that she seems to have in this government. When Yingluck became PM many wondered how the men in the government would take to having her in charge being that she's a woman, and had no experience whatsoever in politics as far as I know. Thailand is a fairly male dominated society as far as I can tell.

I think the answer is now clear. The men seem to make all the important decisions, probably under the direction of Thaksin. The men engage in debate and defend and promote the government's policies in parliament. The PM does photo shoots and foreign trips. I would imagine she might have male members of government with her when she's visiting politicians overseas who may well do a lot of the talking. A female heading the Thai government for the first time had an opportunity to forge a path for women in Thailand but from what I can see she's just done her brother's bidding and provided a pretty face. A great pity.

Now if you'd directed your comments towards her brother and the government then you would certainly have made a valid observation of the tratment and view of women in Thailand. A view unfortunately supported by Yingluck herself.

Of course I'm making these comments on the assumption that Yingluck is a PM in the sense that I would understand it and I suspect many others from democratic countries. I'm sure someone will come along to inform us that a PM doesn't actually have to do all the things that other PMs do.

• Like 1

I wouldn't argue with that but it is also the responsibility of the government to appoint the best man for the job. The army then carries out it's duties to support the government in its policies. I think one of the questions that always comes up here is. Was the person chosen for his or her ability or because they are a relation, supported the government, is a friend or paid money? Not always easy to know.