Decision To Issue A Visa To Thaksin Has No Bearing On Thai Politics: U.S. Envoy

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

No pressure on Bangkok to join TPP: US envoy

Petchanet Pratruangkrai

The Nation

30189123-01_big.jpg

Kristie Kenney

BANGKOK: -- The United States' decision to issue a visa to ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has no bearing on Thai politics, and Washington will not pressure Thailand to make a decision on joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement, according to the US ambassador.

In an exclusive interview with The Nation, US Ambassador Kristie Kenney answered every question that Thai people have concerning both on political and trade issues.

"The US Embassy issues about 50,000 visas to Thai citizen each year based on US law exclusively. There is no comment on Thai politics. The visa applications come from all political parties, all part of life, young people and old people. There is no [involvement in] Thai politics and we don't interfere on Thai politics," explained the ambassador.

Asked about other hot issues such as the progress of the TPP, which has become a major topic of discussion on the international stage, Kenney said that only Thailand knows whether the pact will really benefit the Kingdom.

Thailand can make a decision on whether and when to the TPP, which the ambassador said she foresees as a pact that will benefit all participating countries. But she admitted that some challenges await Thailand, because the pact will include all issues including intellectual property rights, which is quite a sensitive topic for the Kingdom.

"The IPR is a very complicated topic. But as Thailand has a policy to promote a creative economy, it makes [the US] feel that there are strong improvements in Thailand's intellectual property protection and promotion. We are firmly confident that the IPR protection and creative economy will continue to develop in Thailand," said the ambassador.

The US and other TPP partners have an ambitious schedule to complete the first part of the pact by the end of this year. The TPP has the potential to become the US' largest trading bloc. It is a very comprehensive agreement covering liberalisation of trade in goods, services and investment, as well as promotion of stronger cooperation on other issues related on economic integration.

Nine Asia-Pacific countries are TPP members: Australia, Brunei, Chile, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, Vietnam and the United States. Japan has also announced its intention to join the TPP talks.

Asked whether joining the TPP could cause Thailand to lose export privileges to the US under its Generalised System of Preferences (GSP), the ambassador said she cannot comment specifically on that issue as it involves particular economic factors. However, she said that American businesses would still consider Thailand as a strong economic partner.

Thailand is a great country for American investors and traders, she said, adding that the country would always be an important investment and trading destination for Americans.

Kenney, who has been the ambassador here since 2011, also noted that she will continue in her job for the remaining two years in her term, aiming to strengthen not only cooperation in the government, but also the private, public and farming sectors.

The ambassador takes trips up-country every month to experience Thai culture and ways of living, and to survey American and Thai businesses nationwide.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-27

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Person of interest was on the run from bail conditions , regarding corruption charges , placed on interpol watch list ,he could also be blamed for stirring up anti social unrest, although this has never been proven, though the dumb bums that run the red shirt faction got their idea's from somewhere, all in all , an unsavory character , I can't get a visa for USA cause i've got a DD Conviction , which is a felony, so sit on that Ambassador Kenney. bah.gif

• Like 2

What I was missing was a question like: "If the issuing of U.S. visas strictly is based on U.S. laws, why was a visa then issued to Thaksin Shinawatra, who is known to be a convicted felon and has jumped bail in his home country?"

" US Ambassador Kristie Kenney answered every question that Thai people have concerning both on political and trade issues". End of story. ermm.gif

Oops, perhaps not every question that the non-Thai people have... tongue.png

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

Business is Business and Politcs is Politics.

In so far as Intelectual Property Rights being protected is a mute point.

It would be interesting to know if Thailand any Intelectual Property, and if they do, it probably would be Worth Pirating.

Historically they have never been much of a leader in that arena. coffee1.gif

In so far as to whether or not Thailand wishes to join the TTP is not important.

The world of business will survive without them.

As to whether or not Thaland joins the TTP will require months of meaningliess debate, no bribes etc.

They will end up playing musical chairs etc etc etc etc. for a while before a permanent decision is made and even then they will question their decision and do the FLIP FLOP dance which a version

of the Misouri Waltz. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

There are two kinds of US ambassadors.

The first is the political crony who gets an ambassadorship to a non-demanding place as a reward. I believe the gold-star A-1 appointment is to the UK, followed by other comfortable, industrialized countries on good terms with Uncle Sam. The job is pretty much having their pictures taken with notables, attending fancy dinners, etc. Issues of concern are delegated out to aids who may actually know what they are about. As Woody Allen said, half the job is showing up.

The other less-glamorous assignments would be to places that actually require knowledge and skill, serious meetings, etc. Pity the poor b_stard who was the most recent US envoy to Syria. Maybe after some time they'll be considered worthy to fit into the first category. A few years back someone from the first category found herself in a situation that actually involved making serious decisions (can't recall the details) and she made a pig's breakfast of it, completely out of her league, and a minor scandal ensued in the US questioning what qualifies a person to be an ambassador.

I wonder which type this lady is. Bangkok may not be Paris, but it ain't Dhaka either.

Everyone knows this country is being run by the man behind the curtain, and at this point Uncle Sam has no reason to piss him off.

Real Simple

The charges and subsequent convictions have no credibility in the eyes of the western world, there was a coo where he was ousted and then trumped up charges and convictions were processed by an illegal government who too control by force with no legal legitimacy.

So any convictions against T would not hold weight outside the kingdom as proven by the fact that when all you anti T followers were saying oh now Interpol will pick him up I SAID NEVER and I was right and again in all the other countries Mr T has visited again no problem for him and the truth is whether you like it or not is

NOBODY OUTSIDE THAILAND CONSIDERS THE CONVICTIONS REAL and Mr T can travel freely wherever he chooses without fear of being picked up by this Government the last Government or the next Government.

That is is the truth like it or not

DK

If she said the decision had 'no bearing on pollitics' then either she is flat wrong, or the person who told her to say that is wrong. The decision had everything to do with politics and the fact that T has truckloads of money, and his sister is in the power seat. The ambassador must know who calls the shots for the current Thai government. So, no matter how you look at it (unless you want to say it was all about money), .....the decision to grant a visa to the troublemaking scoundrel was 100% political.

Please madam Ambassador, don't talk to us as if we're brain damaged 4 year olds. Stand up and tell the truth. I say this as an American, whose father was a US ambassador.

If she said the decision had 'no bearing on pollitics' then either she is flat wrong, or the person who told her to say that is wrong. The decision had everything to do with politics and the fact that T has truckloads of money, and his sister is in the power seat. The ambassador must know who calls the shots for the current Thai government. So, no matter how you look at it (unless you want to say it was all about money), .....the decision to grant a visa to the troublemaking scoundrel was 100% political.

Please madam Ambassador, don't talk to us as if we're brain damaged 4 year olds. Stand up and tell the truth. I say this as an American, whose father was a US ambassador.

At the end of the day, visas can be granted and rescinded at the discretion of the government. I just remember Millibabble explaining how "we don't comment on an individuals visa status".

The point is, as I wrote up top, they could have refused to grant one, and that would have had a political connotation, so to claim, that granting one doesn't make a political statement is just a tad insulting, and does have a bearing on where TODAY, the US's political interpretation of the situation in Thailand stands. However, if Abhisit goes of and wins the election, I have little doubt, Thaksin will be refused. So we just have to accept that it is a political gesture, nothing more, nothing less.

What I was missing was a question like: "If the issuing of U.S. visas strictly is based on U.S. laws, why was a visa then issued to Thaksin Shinawatra, who is known to be a convicted felon and has jumped bail in his home country?"

" US Ambassador Kristie Kenney answered every question that Thai people have concerning both on political and trade issues". End of story. ermm.gif

Oops, perhaps not every question that the non-Thai people have... tongue.png

But not questions about earning a visa to visit the states when you are a known criminal who is running from serving jail time that he has all ready been given .

Real Simple

The charges and subsequent convictions have no credibility in the eyes of the western world, there was a coo where he was ousted and then trumped up charges and convictions were processed by an illegal government who too control by force with no legal legitimacy.

So any convictions against T would not hold weight outside the kingdom as proven by the fact that when all you anti T followers were saying oh now Interpol will pick him up I SAID NEVER and I was right and again in all the other countries Mr T has visited again no problem for him and the truth is whether you like it or not is

NOBODY OUTSIDE THAILAND CONSIDERS THE CONVICTIONS REAL and Mr T can travel freely wherever he chooses without fear of being picked up by this Government the last Government or the next Government.

That is is the truth like it or not

DK

It most certainly is not!

Good comments sir!

I think the US only has to say/consider that Thaksin's convictions were politically motivated (Whether they are or not) then as far as they are concerned isuing a visa is not a problem.

Do they give everyone this consideration or only if you have a few billion stashed away somewhere?

Since his conviction successive Thai governments have shown no real interest in doing anything other than let Thaksin run around the world with impunity.

So why should the Americans be bothered?

Because America has self assumed the mantle of the world's ethics, moral, and justice leader; and is willing to police this (but apparently only when it suits).

I am not anti-American, infact have always been very pro-American, but the current administration seems intent on forcing it's views and laws on everyone, whilst ignoring other countries laws when it suits "policy".

• Like 1

I think the US only has to say/consider that Thaksin's convictions were politically motivated (Whether they are or not) then as far as they are concerned isuing a visa is not a problem.

Do they give everyone this consideration or only if you have a few billion stashed away somewhere?

One country cannot arbitarily ignore the laws, constitution and judicial systems of another. However, if you're a billionaire and the behind the scenes ruler of another country, well that's different. Obviously, the criminal charges that he was found guily on were politcally motivated, trumped up fabrications wink.png .

The US doesn't hold themselves accountable to anybody and couldn't care less. They will do what suits their policy and future plans and that's it.

Remember during last year's floods. Hilary Clinton said on TV than America would support the Yingluck government, especially in re-building poilce stations to maintain law and order - a clear message of where America stands. More to be gained from Thaksin than his political oponents.

• Like 1