Bangkok Prepares For Possible Flood

webfact

That's impossible. Yingluck "promised" there would be no flooding this year.

Thats right and an article came out about 5 days ago that they were preparing for a severe drought this year. I am totally confused which one can we expect. Coats on coats off, ah bugger it, I will take my chances if my right knee plays up then it will be flooding.

There might be a drought, there might be flooding, or it might be a normal year. I'm still waiting for them to add this last comment, this way they'll have all eventualities covered.

What is "normal" here in TH :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I wonder which is the harmless white lie? Guess we'll find out when either the flood comes, or the drought comes crippling the agriculture industry. Doesn't rice make up a huge proportion of the countries GDP?

GDP = private consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exportsimports),

Lately seems like rice is more of a big drain on GDP

There won't be widescale flooding this year. There will always be some local flooding somewhere in Thailand. For the pedantic among you, Yinluck was referring to widescale flooding, and she is correct in what she said.

ermm.. and how the <deleted> would u know?

I just use common sense. It seems to be in very short supply these days. But here are some clues for you. Last year's flood was a once-in-50-years flood, so that means it will happen on average once every 50 years. The dams have less water than last year. So just those tow things should be enough to tell anyone with enough common sense that there won't be widespread flooding this year. Add in the fact that there has been some work on flood prevention, etc and it becomes even clearer.

So what's your excuse for not knowing?

My excuse for not knowing is that I don't have a crystal ball...

If the worlds leading climatologists can't accurately predict the timing of these things, I'd say it's a fairly safe guess that neither yourself or Yingluck can...

BANGKOK

BMA is braced for flooding : Sukhumbhand

The Nation

30189146-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has been bracing for possible floods and water run-off from the North, Bangkok Governor Sukhumband Paribatra said Monday.

Speaking during a seminar on water management strategies for related civil societies on Sunday, the governor said that flood prevention work was underway.

BMA workers have been dredging canals in 18 flood-prone districts; the dredging process is now 97 percent complete and is expected to be fully finished by the end of this month.

Meanwhile, City Hall is working to heighten and reinforce the 77-kilometre-long flood walls along the Chao Phraya River.

The plan to raise the height of the flood walls could not be fully completed this year but it is likely to be finished next year, the governor admitted.

However, the BMA is focusing on the flood walls in the North of the capital, including Bang Khen, Bang Sue and Bang Phlat districts, which needed stronger flood walls to protect from then upstream water and northern run-off, by placing additional sandbags to increase the height by 50 centimetres.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-27

BANGKOK

BMA is braced for flooding : Sukhumbhand

The Nation

30189146-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has been bracing for possible floods and water run-off from the North, Bangkok Governor Sukhumband Paribatra said Monday.

Speaking during a seminar on water management strategies for related civil societies on Sunday, the governor said that flood prevention work was underway.

BMA workers have been dredging canals in 18 flood-prone districts; the dredging process is now 97 percent complete and is expected to be fully finished by the end of this month.

Meanwhile, City Hall is working to heighten and reinforce the 77-kilometre-long flood walls along the Chao Phraya River.

The plan to raise the height of the flood walls could not be fully completed this year but it is likely to be finished next year, the governor admitted.

However, the BMA is focusing on the flood walls in the North of the capital, including Bang Khen, Bang Sue and Bang Phlat districts, which needed stronger flood walls to protect from then upstream water and northern run-off, by placing additional sandbags to increase the height by 50 centimetres.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-27

Well lets hope they make a yearly event out of draining these canals.

Can't believe they didn't find a lot of dead bodies in there though.

Bangkok prepares for this year’s possible flood

image_201208270700016560BA0F-AFB0-62D9-3193D7FBCFF8122B.jpg

The plan to raise the height of the flood walls could not be fully completed this year but it is likely to be finished next year, the governor admitted."

However, the BMA is focusing on the flood walls in the North of the capital, including Bang Khen, Bang Sue and Bang Phlat districts, which needed stronger flood walls to protect from upstream water and northern run-off, by placing additional sandbags to increase the height by 50 centimetres. (MCOT online news)

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Build more flood walls until you you go crazy,… oh yeah???? Governor Sukhumband is so affiliated to those flood walls, he has a BIG WALL on his head. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Come on ladies and gentlemen,… we all know that "blocking the water in several cases is NOT the answer", as the water will just accumulate until the max level until the wall and,… you get the idea, huh???!

Thats right and an article came out about 5 days ago that they were preparing for a severe drought this year. I am totally confused which one can we expect. Coats on coats off, ah bugger it, I will take my chances if my right knee plays up then it will be flooding.

There might be a drought, there might be flooding, or it might be a normal year. I'm still waiting for them to add this last comment, this way they'll have all eventualities covered.

What is "normal" here in TH smile.png

Chaos?

"Bangkok prepares for this year's possible flood." Is this a "white" lie to avoid panic at the thought that nothing meaningful has been done?

At the national level the colour of the government's lies about flood prevention and the real purpose of the 350 billion baht "emergency" budget seems to be less than lily white.

You win today's prize for most original comment. Well done. Your prize is a course in English Comprehension. I hope you enjoy it. Once again, well done.

25 people clicked like to my post compared to your 3 supporting my "poor grammar". The point is the floods and the governments lies, not my lack of snobbery.

But, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but. but, but, but Didn't some Ex ex pert months and months and month ago, say there wasn't going to be another flood. Are we bangkok-ians

getting SANDBAGGED again.

Edited by jerrysteve

Indeed - and there was another article here this morning from the government saying there would be no floods at all.

Hmmm, I wonder which is the harmless white lie? Guess we'll find out when either the flood comes, or the drought comes crippling the agriculture industry. Doesn't rice make up a huge proportion of the countries GDP?

Rice price pledging is close to 18% of this year's National Budget, maybe that makes it seem a huge proportion ? For next year THB 260 billion asked with up to THB 140 billion to be 'made' by selling excisting stocks.

Last year floods, this year maybe drought. Looking at the RPP figures it doesn't really seem to matter ermm.gif

Thailand is a big country and the weather and drainage differs between western and eastern areas.

This is a bit of an alarmist headline, as it aims to make people think there is a flood on there way, which there isn't. Governments plan for all eventualities, but it doesn't mean they are about to happen.

A better headling would have been... Bangkok upgrades flood defences, although no flooding expected this year.

Totally inept reporting. Or maybe deliberate to get people reading.

There won't be widescale flooding this year. There will always be some local flooding somewhere in Thailand. For the pedantic among you, Yinluck was referring to widescale flooding, and she is correct in what she said.

If I were a gambling man, I would bet that there won't be widescale flooding this year. The dam levels are very low, possibly kept that way in anticipation of heavy rains in the coming two months or so, which is typically when there is heaviest rainfall. In the event of heavy rains and they are forced to let the water out again, then the defences are in place to try and prevent flooding.

Simple and effective. Who would have thought this was possible in Thailand? smile.png

Yes, as the up and mid country farmers get f@cked because of drought season and the country's inability to manage the water it has. Prices for food skyrocket, rice exports are hurt, etc. You must see the big picture. Flooding is not the only effect of water mismanagement.

I always figured there was a reason why the Thai Government wanted me to buy my condo off of the first floor.

Now I know why!

Now I'm wondering is the third floor enough?

coffee1.gif

You move too high, say, 6 or 7 floors and up and the fire trucks can't reach. i think 3rd or 4th is the sweet spot to preserve your life.

Edited by PaullyW