Samui Police Are Going To Need Bigger Holding Cells

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will ask. I won't fight. I can give 50thb more if small trip. I can ask 1-2-3-4 taxis if 1st doesn t agree. Like in BKK.

But If they don't agree I'll call the number 1864 or so.

Not a good idea.

no do it please and video for youtube.this should be better than UBC. go on my son. you sow them.i belive in you. use the force if nesscary. the police force

actually in thiory there is enough taxi crime in Thailand to start a ATC Antie taxi Crime task force

Edited by BigC

Funny guys here!

As said, soon or late when I'll need a taxi I'll ask to put meter on. Eventually add 50thb if small fare... If he refuses I'll ask another. If all refuse, I'll call that number to inform them law is not applied in Koh Samui. That's all. Take it easy.

Nothing wrong will happen. I'll take it with philosophy. Not a big deal but let's try to see law applied.

Funny guys here!

As said, soon or late when I'll need a taxi I'll ask to put meter on. Eventually add 50thb if small fare... If he refuses I'll ask another. If all refuse, I'll call that number to inform them law is not applied in Koh Samui. That's all. Take it easy.

Nothing wrong will happen. I'll take it with philosophy. Not a big deal but let's try to see law applied.

Get a letter from the police signed and stamped stating the law and show it to mr taxi

Funny guys here!

They previously agreed to add 90 baht to the fare & they had it advertised , lasted a day .

Funny guys here!

Local agreement with the law and Suratthani government is meter plus 90 baht. (You may even see some taxis with "90 baht surcharge" signs.)

Just remember - do not be selective on people that break the law.

Speeding - report them

Drink driving - report them

Motorbike no helmet - report them

Bars open after midnight - report them

Local Thai food stall not paying tax - report them

Landlord not paying tax - report them

I do not want to burst your bubble of enthusiasm, but you deal with criminals every day of your life here. Go for it. You could become a local hero.

(Edit - sorry Rooo - did not see your post about the 90 baht)

Edited by Tropicalevo

Tropicalevo, thanks for the meter+90thb info. Interesting and quite fair, at least this should be less hazardous if applyied. For the rest, I said what I had to say. Now you can troll ahead.

As usual, no offense, I know this forum is always teasing, and I love it for that!

Tropicalevo, thanks for the meter+90thb info. Interesting and quite fair, at least this should be less hazardous if applyied. For the rest, I said what I had to say. Now you can troll ahead.

As usual, no offense, I know this forum is always teasing, and I love it for that!

Up to you. No doubt we will be talking about some farang who managed to cop a cap in their dome on this very same forum in the near future.

This will NEVER apply to samui. It is a law less land unto its own. There has never been any law enforcement on samui, by the local toy police. Recently the taxis blockaded the port, due to a minivan company offering a package deal including drop off at the hotel. The taxis would be prevented from charging their extortionate fees. What happened? The weak mayor intervened, and sided with the taxi insects. The govt. in Bkk refuses to enforce ANYTHING in Samui. It is shameful. A travesty. The taxi mafia in Samui is far more powerful than the mayor, the police, the governor, or the PM. Period. End of story. They all have meters. They laugh at you when you ask them to use them. And they know there are zero reasons why they have to behave. A pox on the face of the impotent authorities who care more for the mafia, than for the tourism industry.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

This will NEVER apply to samui. It is a law less land unto its own. There has never been any law enforcement on samui, by the local toy police. Recently the taxis blockaded the port, due to a minivan company offering a package deal including drop off at the hotel. The taxis would be prevented from charging their extortionate fees. What happened? The weak mayor intervened, and sided with the taxi insects. The govt. in Bkk refuses to enforce ANYTHING in Samui. It is shameful. A travesty. The taxi mafia in Samui is far more powerful than the mayor, the police, the governor, or the PM. Period. End of story. They all have meters. They laugh at you when you ask them to use them. And they know there are zero reasons why they have to behave. A pox on the face of the impotent authorities who care more for the mafia, than for the tourism industry.

The taxi mafia in Samui is far more powerful than the mayor, the police, the governor, or the PM. Period. End of story.

I choose to live in Lamai (foot of the hills behind the old market) and have been in the same place for over 3 years. There has been no crime (?) within the community I live (maybe 60 people of which 12 are farang). Nothing.... zero. When I go down to the local shop I leave the house open, not open as in unlocked but open in exactly the same way as it was before I left, door propped open etc. Only time ever see a policeman is if someone has died of old age (gotta get their mug in a picture). No doubt the local Mafia has a hand in all this which is perhaps good or bad but I'm a guest on Samui, I'm a guest in Thailand, who am I to change the way things are run. I feel safe, I'm obviously secure, live well, eat well, have many very good friends around and love it.

Cab prices are a joke but how many members actually use them? I suggest that most members have 'their' taxi so the charge is mates rates anyway. So it's only the rep. which is really affected with regard to tourism.

Be careful what you wish for fellow Samuin's. There are already way too many taxis around and most of them are parked up in town centers, the market is more than saturated yet the prices just about cover it. Even at existing levels, all those parked taxis driving around would make it even worse.

The taxi mafia in Samui is far more powerful than the mayor, the police, the governor, or the PM. Period. End of story.

I choose to live in Lamai (foot of the hills behind the old market) and have been in the same place for over 3 years. There has been no crime (?) within the community I live (maybe 60 people of which 12 are farang). Nothing.... zero. When I go down to the local shop I leave the house open, not open as in unlocked but open in exactly the same way as it was before I left, door propped open etc. Only time ever see a policeman is if someone has died of old age (gotta get their mug in a picture). No doubt the local Mafia has a hand in all this which is perhaps good or bad but I'm a guest on Samui, I'm a guest in Thailand, who am I to change the way things are run. I feel safe, I'm obviously secure, live well, eat well, have many very good friends around and love it.

Cab prices are a joke but how many members actually use them? I suggest that most members have 'their' taxi so the charge is mates rates anyway. So it's only the rep. which is really affected with regard to tourism.

Be careful what you wish for fellow Samuin's. There are already way too many taxis around and most of them are parked up in town centers, the market is more than saturated yet the prices just about cover it. Even at existing levels, all those parked taxis driving around would make it even worse.

What are u going on about

R u telling me there is no gun crime no motorbikes stolen no hand bag snatches no fraud

Are u saying that the only crime is taxis over charging on lamui

People are less intimidated over here

Most violence had a link to the victim not all

R u telling me there is no gun crime no motorbikes stolen no hand bag snatches no fraud

There is nothing in the area where I live but I mean that in general there is a very low level of crime in the Lamai area and crime on Samui as a whole is fairly low.

coffee1.gif

Oh! blink.png and where did you get that misleading information from?

Lomprayah ferry provides 150 baht drop off at hotels etc anywhere on the island ... if you book mini van when buying your ticket..

People have choices, if you want a private taxi, then be prepared to pay.... if you don't mind a bit of a "Cooks tour" with people being dropped off, use a minivan service....

They have it very well organized to drop people off in different areas... thumbsup.gif

There is nothing in the area where I live but I mean that in general there is a very low level of crime in the Lamai area and crime on Samui as a whole is fairly low.

i think you really need to get out more ! Crime is rife on samui in one way or another

i think you really need to get out more ! Crime is rife on samui in one way or another

Yes - you are correct to a point Boater, but - location, location, location.

I am sure that crime is rife in the major tourist areas. Chewang, Bophut etc

But Choengmon? Plai Laem? The only crime in the 'village' where I live is by disgruntled workers coming back for their 'salary'. Most of the time -we recover the stolen items as we usually know the people that did it.

As we keep saying - Samui is more than just the tourist black spots.

I know a guy in Bangrak who was burgled twice in two weeks, and yet I do not shut my doors or windows in Plai Laem. (Unless it rains or I leave the island.)

What I would call institutional crime is rife but that's everywhere in LoS.

I think here to be a victim you are more likely to have a big problem of you make a problem but generally most of Samui is quite safe if u stay low key and flying fly slightly under the radar

I think here to be a victim you are more likely to have a big problem of you make a problem but generally most of Samui is quite safe if u stay low key and flying fly slightly under the radar

even staying low key, what is there to stop you being hit/killed by a drunk driver / illegally speeding driver which happens everyday here on samui ... ( both are still crimes , and happen frequently on samui )

even staying low key, what is there to stop you being hit/killed by a drunk driver / illegally speeding driver which happens everyday here on samui ... ( both are still crimes , and happen frequently on samui )

yes there is loads of crime on the island. Just the style is different than back home.

I don't really get intimidated when i walk out the front door like back home with people starring and memaking me want to kill them