Thai-English/English-Thai Android Translator

VBF

I wasn’t sure whether to post this in the “Thai language” or “Internet, computers, communication, technology” forums.

Mods - please move if you think this location inappropriate or can I link to posts between forums without breaking the rules?

So….

I’ve just acquired a Google Nexus 7 tablet running Android 4.1 (Jellybean)

I’m looking for a GOOD Thai-English / English-Thai app.

Like conventional books, there are are lots of them but can anyone recommend one that they’ve actually used? It needs to be British English, with preferably speech recognition both ways. That way I can use it with my girlfriend so we can both learn something!

Thanks in advance

VBF

I can highly recommend the "Talking Thai" app as a Thai-English-Thai dictionary. It's from Paiboon publishing, and has circular 'globe' logo with purple/orange/yellow colouration. It has a huge vocabulary (150,000+ entries they claim). It also pronounces the Thai words for you, although not the English words.

You don't need an active internet connection to use it as the whole database is downloaded to your phone.

It costs THB780, but is the best paid app my girlfriend and I have on our phones. We probably use it at least ten times a day. Worth every penny.

If you both have Android phones, you can sign on with the same account to the second phone and download it again at no charge

It's US English, I think, but frankly the differences aren't really significant

If you Google 'talking thai app' the second link should take you to the app on the Andoid store

• Like 1

I can highly recommend the "Talking Thai" app as a Thai-English-Thai dictionary. It's from Paiboon publishing, and has circular 'globe' logo with purple/orange/yellow colouration. It has a huge vocabulary (150,000+ entries they claim). It also pronounces the Thai words for you, although not the English words.

You don't need an active internet connection to use it as the whole database is downloaded to your phone.

It costs THB780, but is the best paid app my girlfriend and I have on our phones. We probably use it at least ten times a day. Worth every penny.

If you both have Android phones, you can sign on with the same account to the second phone and download it again at no charge

If you Google 'talking thai app' the second link should take you to the app on the Andoid store

I agree with VirgoSG. I've had this on my iPhone for about a year and it is great. It is the most expensive app I have and also the most used. I'm sure they have put the same effort into the Android version as well.

David

Get the app "TalkingThai." It is, by far, the very best Thai-English dictionary and Thai-learning tool I've ever used ... and I have a big box of them gathering dust.

What makes TalkingThai so great is its 170K word pronunciation dictionary which pronounces each word perfectly. No need to guess/pray your saying the Thai word correctly from a book ... and this hugh Thai-English dictionary is always with you pretty much anywhere you go.

ThalkingThai is a great tool for communicating with Thai gics and friends, and it teaches Thai script, although I'm not ready for that yet.

Get the app "TalkingThai." It is, by far, the very best Thai-English dictionary and Thai-learning tool I've ever used ... and I have a big box of them gathering dust.

What makes TalkingThai so great is its 170K word pronunciation dictionary which pronounces each word perfectly. No need to guess/pray your saying the Thai word correctly from a book ... and this hugh Thai-English dictionary is always with you pretty much anywhere you go.

ThalkingThai is a great tool for communicating with Thai gics and friends, and it teaches Thai script, although I'm not ready for that yet.

Thank you all very much - the concensus appears to make it a no-brainer! I shall give "TalkingThai" a try.

I concur with the others re: Talking Thai” Top notch. The part I have discovered that is the best (for me) is the break down of “words inside” tapping on the Thai word will give you a go to function, select “words inside” and it breaks down the word into its component words and by doing so helps you select the correct word for your comment, and gives you the classifier, if needed, as well.

Just another two cents. Talking Thai is the absolute best. I recommend it to everyone that asks. Been using it upwards of two years. Haven't found anything close. I wish they made an English version for my Thai friends, as they just love it too. Or I guess Talking Thai could add the English word sounds?

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with VirgoSG. I've had this on my iPhone for about a year and it is great. It is the most expensive app I have and also the most used. I'm sure they have put the same effort into the Android version as well.

David

If you allow me and if I'm not off topic talking about an iPhone App since the OP asked for Android on the other hand I'm sure it must exist for both systems ...

I know this dictionary from Paiboon for of course it is famous and I appreciate it...

But do you know ClickThai dictionary?

Maybe it is even better, it stands comparison with Paiboo since one can search In English,Thai script as well as simplified phonetic OK! But what I like most compared to the Paiboon's is the word you entered plus a list which contain the search term, in Paiboon when there is more than one translation I'm not sure which is the better, with ClickThai, for instance for the word "smile" a list of 30 plus: broad smile/polite smile/forced smile/smile canny/smile sadly and so on because in Thai it's different words, with the copy/paste one can navigate from one dictionary to the other so I'm convince it's far better to have both of them for excellent complementarity. It has 55,000 words in Thai, 61,000 in English 50,000 in transcription so it is a serious tool too. Hope it can helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Paiboon for around an hour everyday and it clearly is the best on the market.

But i use a free app called aedict for japanese, and it constantly reminds me of the poor and costly choices for Thai. Like the aedict, each word should have 10 or more sample sentences that display the word order and the nuances of its use.

Lets take an example, the thai word for substitute, 'theam'.

How do you use it.... Well you can't find out from paiboon.

Perhaps:

* I-want-substitute-object (banana)-object(strawberry)-in-cocktail.

When you want to say:

"I want to substitute the bananas for strawberries in my cocktail".

Or perhaps another word order. We don't know from paiboon.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, have you tried LingLing Learn Thai? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hepilabs.lingling.thai&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5oZXBpbGFicy5saW5nbGluZy50aGFpIl0. I am using it for almost sixth months and I've learned a lot of new words almost instantly smile.png Try it out smile.png

Nah. It's a gimmick. It is precisely the sort of software that can be used to predict the failure of the owner. It is this sort of "LEARN THAI IN JUST ONE DAY!" nonsense that is simple foolishness.

Simply make your own vocab lists with Ankidroid and with a great deal of hard work and patience you can do it. Best to think of learning Thai is like trying to get a First from Cambridge in Oriental Languages; you wouldn't buy some gimmicky App for that now would you....

Edited by Gaccha

* I-want-substitute-object (banana)-object(strawberry)-in-cocktail.

When you want to say:

"I want to substitute the bananas for strawberries in my cocktail".

Or perhaps another word order. We don't know from paiboon.

Why not do it the easy way.

Mai ow glui tair ow staw-beh-ree (don't want banana, want strawberry)

or

Mai ow glui tot tairn straw-beh-ree si noi kap (don't want banana, please replace with strawberry)

or

Ow straw-beh-ree tairn tee glui (want strawberry instead of banana)

or

Mai ow glui chi straw-beh-ree tairn (don't want banana, use strawberry instead)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican