A Question About A Quick Exit From Thailand

kingbilly

I have been here 10 years, and finally the straw has broken the camels back and if any of you are able to help it will be greatly appreciated.

Here is my list of problems -

1: I need to take my son with me, he has an expired British passport, a UK birth certificate and a current Thai passport - would you go for a UK Visa or an emergency British Travel Document and how quick are these available (We live in Chiang Mai and want out ASAP)

2: Does anyone know of a company that can transport from my home to the airport about 1 cubic metre of goods to a either Bangkok airport or to a hotel? It consists of two mountain bikes, a couple of computers (maybe 1 + a motherboard and some spares) + a 32" flatscreen TV in original box, plus a 24" monitor in original box.

Hand baggage we can carry, I just am looking for someone willing to even turn up tonight and put the whole lot in a van and be in Bangkok ASAP any advice would be greatly appreciated.

One thing on my mind is that the UK embassy, even for emergency travel want the original passport forms filling in but I don't know anyone at this stage that could countersign the photos...any ideas?

Cheers!

I am willing to pay the 40 quid a bag excess with BA Etc. it is not a question of money, it is a question of wrapping up this bloody mess and making a new start! - I do not need advice about "It will be cheaper to buy back in the UK" I just would love someone that could just come in here pick up all of this crap and get us sorted!

Also - does anyone know how this "Car For Cash " Works? Like I want to sell my car for cash - I don't want to borrow cash to buy one...............................confusing!

Edited by kingbilly

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, I'm in Chiang Mai and am interested in buying one of the mountain bikes. pm me.

Thanks, but I love the bikes and want to take them with me! And if that is you on your Avatar - you'd break them!

Edited by kingbilly

Concerning point 2-, why dont you just hire a minivan with a driver for the trip ? Your goods would easily fit and you would pay around 2-3000 Baths per day plus petrol. I dont live in Chiang Mai but here near Khorat you can find such a minivan in no time. Another solution would be to take a regular minivan or bus. One cubic meter of goods is not very much, they will put it on the roof, and it is dirt cheap. Around 1 bath per kilometer per passenger for the minivan. I took one two weeks ago and everybody was carrying a lot of stuff, from rice bags to bags of I dont know what.

Crown relocations will get your stuff out. They will walk in, box it up, and ship it. A tad pricey though.

http://www.crownrelo...82564F2002E19F5

Better to just box it yourself though and post it via the post office. A lot easier in the long run and significantly cheaper.

http://www.thaivisa....36457-stingray/ - Cash for car.

Edited by Pseudolus

Concerning point 2-, why dont you just hire a minivan with a driver for the trip ? Your goods would easily fit and you would pay around 2-3000 Baths per day plus petrol. I dont live in Chiang Mai but here near Khorat you can find such a minivan in no time. Another solution would be to take a regular minivan or bus. One cubic meter of goods is not very much, they will put it on the roof, and it is dirt cheap. Around 1 bath per kilometer per passenger for the minivan. I took one two weeks ago and everybody was carrying a lot of stuff, from rice bags to bags of I dont know what.

Thanks, that is exactly what I would be happy with, if anyone knows anyone in Chiang Mai that could do this for a few thousand Baht, I would be over the moon! It will cost me over 5K Baht just for 2 people on the airfare without the bags. If I can get a road trip to Bangkok and they can get me to a hotel with all of my clutter that would be great - I can arrange the documents when I am there and get another trip to the airport.

Thanks!

Crown relocations will get your stuff out. They will walk in, box it up, and ship it. A tad pricey though.

http://www.crownrelo...82564F2002E19F5

http://www.thaivisa....36457-stingray/ - Cash for car.

Thank you! Appreciate it, I will take a look at the links in the morning but I really appreciate your help!

(The Stingray link doesn't seem to work and the Crownrelocation doesn't seem to load - howver there is an email for these guys so I will give them a shot!) I tried another company earlier and based on 1 cubic metre, they eventually told me that they made a mistake and quoted for 2!!! It really does not fill you with inspiration on the service here....like I say, if I could get everything to swampy, I would pay the excess baggage!

I know in my heart if I don't give my son the chance of a decent education then I will regret this forever.

It is great looking out on a tropical garden everday, but with no job and looking at my prospects at my age and then passing the education and prospects on to my son, I think I have made a huge mistake and need to get out now while I still can.

When I am 60 or whatever, I might return to a life of doing nothing, but in my heart, I know I want better for my son! Thanks for your help.

Edited by kingbilly
  • Like 1

One of the problems I have is trusting some Thai to give me a fair price either to Chiang Mai Airport or to Swampy with my luggage - I would gladly pay a few thousand if I could get someone to take me to the door so to speak!

Jesus, things are easy when you are paying here, but when you look like you want out, the shutters come down big time....like you are a prisoner!

I know you don't want advices, but here is the KEY question when you write " I need to take my son with me, he has an expired British passport, a UK birth certificate and a current Thai passport "

Do you HAVE the paperwork to prove that you are the sole guardian of your son (i.e. through divorce papers, proving that you are widower) or that the mother of your son approved your travelling alone with him? Otherwise you might get stuck with the airline / immigration while leaving the country and might even get charged with child abduction...

Just asking, as you sound pretty desperate and might not have thought about that one...

How about just renting a SUV like a Toyota Fortuner? You could load everything in the back and be off in 15 minutes without having to go the airport etc etc.

I've got a 4 x 4 Toyota already, could load everything in and be off, but what do I do with the motor after I leave the airport? .................I need to flog the car! 2002 Toyota 4 x 4 SR5 4 Wheel drive, well mainained, 200K or best offer? I was offered 320K in a part exchange....first come first served...but you need to drive me to the airport!

Edited by kingbilly

Oh, and a Visa could take ages where as the emergency travel document is quick quick.

http://www.chiangmaishiping.com/householdmove.htm

Also contact some of the local estate agents - they might have some numbers for you to call.

re Car - those cash for cars guys will give you 75% ish of its current value. Save yourself some time and sling it up on all the classifieds quick quick at a good price; you never know you might have it sold quickly.

In simple terms, if there are any enterprising people out there, what is it going to cost to pick me and my son up. along with 2 bikes and maybe 4 bags, get us to the british embassy, wait until we get travel papers (I'll pay for your hotel if it takes two days) then get us to the airport, help us with our shit to a BA counter and then you can go home----- Chiang Mai - Bangkok - Embassy - Airport!

Simple as that, any expenses you incur on the journey, I will pay!

Reading between the lines there is more to this thread than you are saying.

You want to take your son, who holds a British Passport to the UK, is his mother content with this?

As far as I'm aware a passport is only proof of citizenship, even if expired, so in theory a person can travel to the UK with an expired passport, it's only the passport that expires, not the right to citizenship. I don't know how old your son is, but given that you have been in Thailand for ten years I assume he's a youngster, if he is travelling with one parent it might be an issue, if not with the UKBA then certainly with the airline.

As you suggest you could apply to the British Embassy for an Emergency Travel Document, though I don't know what the criteria is for an ETD.

These comments are based on recollection not first hand knowledge, I would call Consular Section and seek definitive advice.

I am just about at breaking point - I just want the things I want put on a plane and arrive at my home roughly the same time as me, I can wait a day or so, but not a month on the sea, for that I will pay a premium - BA charge 34 quid per bag, I would pay double just to get them on the plane with peace of mind!

You want to take your son, who holds a British Passport to the UK, is his mother content with this?

As far as I'm aware a passport is only proof of citizenship, even if expired, so in theory a person can travel to the UK with an expired passport, it's only the passport that expires, not the right to citizenship. I don't know how old your son is, but given that you have been in Thailand for ten years I assume he's a youngster, if he is travelling with one parent it might be an issue, if not with the UKBA then certainly with the airline.

As you suggest you could apply to the British Embassy for an Emergency Travel Document, though I don't know what the criteria is for an ETD.

These comments are based on recollection not first hand knowledge, I would call Consular Section and seek definitive advice.

1: Yes his mother is content with this (AT THE MOMENT.......it may change when she realises reality!)

2: The expired passport thing is a bit of a debate, better had online than at the airport - I know what you mean but there are different stories!- Can apply for a Visa, but I think if he has British Nationality give the boy a passport - pretty sad these days that it has to be applied for via <Snip!> Hong Kong with Bankers Drafts or credit cards! What is the point of having an embassy in Thailand if you have to renew your UK passport in HK with HK Dollars when you live 1500 miles away in Thailand - CRAZY!

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity

1: Yes his mother is content with this (AT THE MOMENT.......it may change when she realises reality!)

2: The expired passport thing is a bit of a debate, better had online than at the airport - I know what you mean but there are different stories!- Can apply for a Visa, but I think if he has British Nationality give the boy a passport - pretty sad these days that it has to be applied for via <Snip!> Hong Kong with Bankers Drafts or credit cards! What is the point of having an embassy in Thailand if you have to renew your UK passport in HK with HK Dollars when you live 1500 miles away in Thailand - CRAZY!

Do you have the mother's consent in writing and legally approved and maybe even translated into English for the UK authorities?

There is nothing to read between the lines, I have simply had enough of the shit here and I would like to take my 11 year old son out from a shit Thai school where he is learning to be a retarded mongoloid and take him over to the UK where at least in his formative years he may actually have a chance!

If he <Snip!> up, well he can always return to ####pland! He has dual nationality, but if I don't do it now it is a chance gone forerver. I am going on 50 and would have loved a second chance at a few things, but when you see your own kid being given the black ball in education, where he will never get a second chance......it is a parental thing, I don't want him growing rice up here like the rest of them, respect for their hard work, but I want bit better for my kid than milking buffalo and planting rice to keep the elite rich!

But why everything has to happen in the next few hours, a week or so isn't a lifetime isn't.

Actually, that is a good question, it can be answered by " IF I don't do it now - in the heat of the moment I may never do it - and my son can start the new School year with everyone else on the 4th of September - if I take him late he is an oddity before he even starts - I have planned this for 1 year already and I admit, I have really <Snip!> it up!

Edited by metisdead
:Profanity

if your that desperate, UPS freight!

something weird about rushing out at the last minutes after being here 10 years.

what's the straw that broke your back? why do you need someone else involved, ship your stuff and go.

would have to agree on the edu and future job prospects issue for the younguns, something I did not realize if I were to have family here, they could teach English I guess.

Edited by jacktrip

Is it the school or the mother? Probably both, but the urgency seems more like your relationship with the mother being of immediate concern. Even arriving in the UK now, you'll struggle to get a school place before the new term starts.

I'd slow right down, discuss things with your son's mother from the point of view of the child. Running for the airport now will cause more problems than it will solve.

And no, I wouldn't drive you to the airport in your state of mind right now, not even for a free car. You seem to want to put a knife in your wife's head. What you might do to me if things go wrong I don't know.

plan b , put all you can into your truck ,take your son,

and book a room or appartment .

asap contact a reputable solicitor . get the paper work sorted regarding your son.

and place your truck in the classified , is the book in your name ?, if not expect probs selling it .

best of luck .

Is it the school or the mother? Probably both, but the urgency seems more like your relationship with the mother being of immediate concern. Even arriving in the UK now, you'll struggle to get a school place before the new term starts.

I'd slow right down, discuss things with your son's mother from the point of view of the child. Running for the airport now will cause more problems than it will solve.

And no, I wouldn't drive you to the airport in your state of mind right now, not even for a free car. You seem to want to put a knife in your wife's head. What you might do to me if things go wrong I don't know.

Don't be so paranoid my friend - I have no reason to put a knife ibn your head! I am not that mad yet!!!! I just need to get back to some sort of normal life - it doesn't exist for me here, the fuc_kers around me are more crazy than me, the other option is my mothers place in the UK - she suffers from that imaginative disease Celiacs.....so I am into some real shit before I start!

they must have private schools to western standards in Chiang Mai? try the christian school downtown looks good.

your out there on rai with 700 teak trees. I don't see anyone there bothering you, that's not in your own head.

Edited by jacktrip