Police Brutality Complaint Filed Over Drug Suspect Arrest

webfact

Police brutality complaint filed over drug suspect arrest

Phuket Gazette

p1.jpeg

Mr Prapakorn showing the abrasions caused by police handcuffs. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

p2.jpeg

The bruising to Mr Prapakorn’s body is fading after four days; two of which were spent at Vachira Phuket Hospital. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- A man who claims his nephew was severely beaten by five Thalang police officers trying to extract more information after they had arrested him for drug possession has filed a complaint at the Phuket Damrongtham Center (ombudsman’s office).

Prapakorn Waharak, a 20-year-old Thalang resident, was accompanied to the Damrongtham Center at Provincial Hall yesterday by his uncle Prapan Waharak, 40, who filed the complaint against the Drug Suppression officers at Thalang Police Station.

Mr Prapan, who has a jet-ski operation at Naka Island, told Prapan Kanprasang, head of the Damrongtham Center, how his nephew Mr Prapakorn came to be badly beaten allegedly by the five officers.

“The incident occurred on August 22 around 3pm when my nephew was arrested near an Ao Por Seafood Restaurant in Pa Klok for possession of ya ice [crystal methamphetamine],” explained Mr Prapan.

“The police officers said they had been informed of drug dealing in the area. They found my nephew trying to sell ya ice to two teenagers. They tried to arrest all of them but the two teenagers escaped.”

The officers searched Mr Prapakorn and found 2.47 grams of ya ice in his trouser pocket. They handcuffed him and took him to Bangrong Police Box for questioning, Mr Prapan said.

“Once we arrived at the police box they didn’t even ask me any questions. They just started to beat me. I was pushed to the floor on my stomach and kicked and stomped upon. I felt a kick to the right side of my face and being stomped upon on my back. I was even hit with a club. One policeman took a plastic bag and covered my face,” Mr Prapakorn alleged.

“In the end I told them that I got the drugs from a man known as ‘Bang Plu’. He had told me to meet him near a seafood restaurant.

“Then the police let me go. By the time I got home, the right side of my face was swollen and I could only open my mouth a little bit. I had pain in my chest and on the right side of my body.

“My uncle took me to Thalang Hospital and they transferred me to Vachira Phuket Hospital where I was hospitalized for two days,” he said.

Mr Prapan and Mr Prapakorn went to file a complaint at Thalang Police Station on August 23.

“They said they would investigate the incident. However, I haven’t heard anything from them so I decided file the complaint here at the Damrongtham Center,” said Mr Prapan.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...rest-16773.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-28

Oh good luck any way that he wasn't shot and thrown away as it used to happen in Thaksins famous "war against drugs" .... but it still happens today.

What police did here was NOT uphold law and order, but plain torture. You kick, hit, beat somebodey until you get what you want - and you will get whatever you want! Just kick long and hard enough. hoaurs, days, ... That's why torture is brutal, useless and against any human right.

If Thailand want to be a democratic and civilzed country they also should learn FINALLY that police is not allowed to torture anybody.

There exists different and far more effective interrogation techniques (and I am not talking about the f***ng bullshit of americans enhanced interrogation techniques, just new name for torture).

If the young man really wanted to sell drugs (prove?), he made something wrong and must go to the judge and to prison. But also get those five crappy police guys straightaway to the judge and to prison as well.

Well ... really very Amazing Thailand. Thai Police is always good advertising for Thailand... why they never get better ?

It's not good the cops taking the law into their own hands but this guy said he was selling the drugs to teenagers which is the worse crime ??

For the Royal Thai Police to gain the respect of the community, I would say that in the bigger picture, the worst crime was for the police to severely beat a suspect. Beating street level drug dealers for information will not stop or even put a dent in the illegal drug trade in Thailand.

Regrettably a Thai male member of my wife's' family was recently stopped by police and tested positive for YaBa, no drugs were in his possession. However he was severely beaten. The family who are anti drugs, had no issues for the guy to be fined or do time in prison, but were not OK with unlawful assault by the police. You can guess the respect they have for the police.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

The boy does not deny he had 2.47 gm of YaBa, this equats to about 8 tablets so he was proberbly selling. If he was using as well he may have been violent when arrested.

The only prominent marks are from the handcuffs, either that or he heals quick.

While I do not agree with the police roughing up these boys we do not know the full circumstances of the arrest.

YaBa is proberbly the most distructiive drug, it's cheap and available everywhere.

I wonder how much the Uncle paid for his release???

It's not good the cops taking the law into their own hands but this guy said he was selling the drugs to teenagers which is the worse crime ??

For the Royal Thai Police to gain the respect of the community, I would say that in the bigger picture, the worst crime was for the police to severely beat a suspect. Beating street level drug dealers for information will not stop or even put a dent in the illegal drug trade in Thailand.

Regrettably a Thai male member of my wife's' family was recently stopped by police and tested positive for YaBa, no drugs were in his possession. However he was severely beaten. The family who are anti drugs, had no issues for the guy to be fined or do time in prison, but were not OK with unlawful assault by the police. You can guess the respect they have for the police.

I can agree with all you have said and i'm sure there are others like me that have had experiance with losing a family member to drugs. And it is the dealers who sell this crap just for a profit without any concern for the fate of those who they sell to.

I can agree with all you have said and i'm sure there are others like me that have had experiance with losing a family member to drugs. And it is the dealers who sell this crap just for a profit without any concern for the fate of those who they sell to.

Yes, not a family member, a very good friend of mine died from a heroin overdose. He was a mid level executive with a very large multinational company. Prior to the business world he was an undercover cop in Australia, that's when he got involved with heroin.

Edited by simple1

And your point is?

Whether selling drugs is worse than beating a drug dealer doesn't negate the fact that the police should be punished if the allegations are true. The kid will still have to face his punishment for selling drugs.

But in answer to your question, they are both nasty crimes.

• Like 2

Sorry but he admitted selling the drug to two teenagers so why was he not charged for drug dealing , would it have been the same treatment had it been a farang somehow I doubt it !!!!!!

Oh yes, this country craps all over farangs at the every opportunity. Poor us. So downtrodden. Luckily, we third-class citizens can come here to complain - and can spin almost any situation, whether it involves a farang or not, to show how oppressed we are.

• Like 1

And your point is?

Whether selling drugs is worse than beating a drug dealer doesn't negate the fact that the police should be punished if the allegations are true. The kid will still have to face his punishment for selling drugs.

But in answer to your question, they are both nasty crimes.

yes that is my point

It is OK to feel sorry for the boy getting a beating from the police, guess what he is a felon and whay is he walking around to continue selling to youg people. I do believe he needed his ass kicked if not by the ploce by a victims family. If he starts this young he will continue until he becomes a victim or end up in a Thai Jail.

The Japnese have a saying "There is no medicine to cure stupidity", so there is little chance of this kid being cured !!

• Like 2

No matter which way you look at it, this is Thailand and drug delers are going to take a beating from the police once in a while, that's just the way it is.

When I was 19 in the UK a police car tried to stop me and I didn't want to stop, I had no insurance and the car had a number of defects, anyway I was chased for some miles and eventually stopped by a road block in Worcestershire.. boy did they beat the shit out of me right by the side of the road. Nobody wanted to know about complaints. That was 1980's Britain, so Thailand is not so bad.

• Like 1

In the name of the "DRUG CRACKDOWN" the police just keep on doing this. Always its some teenager selling a little stuff or sum poor "delivery guy" is caught , and maybe for fun he's beaten up quite good for nothing but the name of some dealer that they not even gonna write down . Since the carckdown's in taksin's govt., I don't think the police has caught many of the Mafia's who r really responsible for all this sh*t. :l

So true! You never ever read about an arrest of any major drug cartel kingpin nor a shutdown of a big lab where amphetamins are manufactured.

Also, if the Thai government is not even able to render a single prison drug-free, being it an enclosed area in which all people and goods that enter can easily be monitored and checked, how in the hell does our deputy PM think he can get rid of the drugs in all of Thai society?

• Like 1

Selling to teenagers, sorry but I don't feel sorry for him. In fact, he should feel lucky that he isn't spending time in jail. He had a small amount this time but how much has he sold in the past. I would have been happier if they had prosecuted him and put him in jail rather than beating him but this guy is no angel either. He got off lucky in my opinion considering he seems to have nothing but bruises.

Oh good luck any way that he wasn't shot and thrown away as it used to happen in Thaksins famous "war against drugs" .... but it still happens today.

What police did here was NOT uphold law and order, but plain torture. You kick, hit, beat somebodey until you get what you want - and you will get whatever you want! Just kick long and hard enough. hoaurs, days, ... That's why torture is brutal, useless and against any human right.

If Thailand want to be a democratic and civilzed country they also should learn FINALLY that police is not allowed to torture anybody.

There exists different and far more effective interrogation techniques (and I am not talking about the f***ng bullshit of americans enhanced interrogation techniques, just new name for torture).

If the young man really wanted to sell drugs (prove?), he made something wrong and must go to the judge and to prison. But also get those five crappy police guys straightaway to the judge and to prison as well.

Well ... really very Amazing Thailand. Thai Police is always good advertising for Thailand... why they never get better ?

Welcome to dream land.

Reality is it happens all over the world. In Canada they took a group of us in for a overnight in the Lethbridge Alberta jail. We could see them grab one fellow take him into a room and hear him yelling. He was given two broken ribs not a mark on him. I woke up in the hospital they had hit me with a sap while I slept. Not a mark on me just blood all over the top of my shirt.

And all we were doing was drinking no drugs what so ever.

You are in the right country for people who have no idea of what the world is like out side of their own back yard.

Stick around get your head out of your a s and give Thailand a chance you just might come to like it.

No sympathy. Should have used baseball bats. Scum of the earth.

Nope, some of the scum of the Earth are further up the chain.

The biggest scum of the Earth are the thugs who beat this kid, while not only protecting their rights to supply, but also their master's rights to remain immune from prosecution.

• Like 1

No sympathy. Should have used baseball bats. Scum of the earth.

Nope, some of the scum of the Earth are further up the chain.

The biggest scum of the Earth are the thugs who beat this kid, while not only protecting their rights to supply, but also their master's rights to remain immune from prosecution.

+1

One thing for sure...next time the young gentleman gets court, and there will be a next time,,,it will be straight to the holding cells full charge and hard on bail and then a nice holiday eating fish head soup. No a few slaps and walk home next time. The uncle may have a little more problem once his next jet ski gets a scratch and he tries to extort a tourist too.

Edited by harrry

My freind it is the idiots who put this shit in their mouth not the guys selling it.

• Like 1

My freind it is the idiots who put this shit in their mouth not the guys selling it.

Yes it is the ones that are hooked on this sh_t that are idiots but that does not take away that the ones selling this crap are taking advantage of the addicts for their own profit and nonconcern of the fate to the ones they sell to.

Edited by ozziebloke