New Zealand Father-Daughter Couple Told To End Incest

News_Editor

New Zealand father-daughter couple told to end incest < br />

2012-08-29 07:46:01 GMT+7 (ICT)

DUNEDIN, NEW ZEALAND (BNO NEWS) -- A father and daughter in New Zealand who say they are in love with each other have been told by a judge to end their incestuous relationship, warning that future incest could land them in prison, a local newspaper reported on Wednesday.

The father, 32, and his daughter, 18, appeared in Dunedin District Court on Tuesday and admitted to having an incestuous relationship which began in August 2010 when the woman was 16 years old. The incest continued until May this year and resulted in the couple having a baby girl which was born last year.

"This must stop. These sort of relationships do not last and are fraught with difficulties," Judge Stephen O'Driscoll told the couple when they appeared in court, the Otago Daily Times newspaper reported on Wednesday. The names of both the father and daughter have not been released.

The teenager told the court that she is in love with her father and that they had been living as 'husband and wife'. Her counsel, Bernadette Farnham, argued that both offenders have a mutual background of abuse and neglect and that, while outside society's norms, the relationship was between consenting adults.

According to the report, the 18-year-old woman was conceived from a sexual relationship between the male offender and his foster mother. The incestuous relationship took place when the foster mother was 30 and he was 13, with their daughter being born when he was 14.

The male offender was told that he was the father but had little contact with his daughter until she was about 16, the Otago Daily Times reported. A visit between the father and daughter was arranged in 2010 and, after several visits, the father moved into his daughter's family's home. The relationship then became sexual.

Psychiatric and psychological reports have indicated that the father and daughter are being affected by a phenomenon known as genetic sexual attraction (GSA), which sometimes occurs when close relatives first meet as adults. The best known case is of a brother and sister couple in Germany who have four children and have fought against the country's anti-incest laws.

Judge O'Driscoll said a rehabilitative sentence is more appropriate for the teenager because of her young age and because she now has a child to care for. He convicted her of one count of incest and sentenced her to 12 months of supervision with the conditions she undertake counselling or treatment as directed.

The judge sentenced the father to 300 hours of community work and 12 months of supervision, saying the man's offending was "at the higher end of the scale of wrongdoing," the newspaper reported. The judge said the man will have to complete a domestic violence program and will not be allowed to be in the company of his daughter unless another approved adult is present.

"As a father, you have a duty to your children and this offending was a gross breach of duty towards your daughter," Judge O'Driscoll said, as quoted by the Otago Daily Times newspaper. "Everyone has choices about the relationships and sexual relationships they enter into. This relationship was wrong, and I fail to see how you can justify it."

The judge also warned the couple that it is "highly likely" they would be sentenced to imprisonment if they appear again on similar charges.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-08-29

Well I guess that when most legal systems claim their origins back to their monotheistic religions book of choice and they all share the same Genesis story I don't know what all the fuss is about. It is quite clear from the bible that there was Adam, then Eve, who had Caine, Abel and Seth, then along came other 'sons and daughters'. Just who exactly were the first 3 sons making hay with? It had to be their mother and eventually their sisters. According to the bible we are all the result of an incestuous relationship, and after all the bible is the word of God.

These people are consenting adults and whilst it is not palatable to many, it is just that, not palatable. All the historic civilizations used to allow Incest with not so much as an awkward glance. The problems start when you get to second and third generations producing offspring with their grandparents and parents. A child that resulted from the union of the two people in NZ would be quite normal, however if that child then produced offspring with its parents, and that resulting child did the same for several generations then you start getting the chance of the type of offspring in 'The Hills have Eyes' , or at least a funny stare and a few digits too many!

Leave them be, NZ is big enough for the both of them and there are much more serious things for Governments and Judicial systems to concern themselves with than the private lives of two adults.

• Like 2

I do not see how this is anyone's business, although preventing them from having children is another story as there could be damage to the child.

"As a father, you have a duty to your children and this offending was a gross breach of duty towards your daughter," Judge O'Driscoll said

Not too difficult to understand for most people besides that it is forbidden by law.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

I do not see how this is anyone's business, although preventing them from having children is another story as there could be damage to the child.

"As a father, you have a duty to your children and this offending was a gross breach of duty towards your daughter," Judge O'Driscoll said

Not too difficult to understand for most people besides that it is forbidden by law.

They are now both adults, i don't like it but don't see how the police can get involved. And yes i agree there should be no children.

How can having sex with his foster mother be incestuous , they aren't related?

I believe he had sex with his foster mother when he was 13. As a result of the sexual relationship, the foster mother had a child. This child with whom he is having an incestuous relationship.

It seems from the information that he did not see his daughter often when she was young, so the normal parent-child bond never developed.

Hey look, America isn't the only place with retarded hillbillies.

but America is the only place where there are states/provinces which legalize these relationships - In places like North Carolina / West Virginia - you can legally marry your cousin -

How can having sex with his foster mother be incestuous , they aren't related?

He was 13, the issue is that whilst not biologically related, she was to all intents and purposes his mother, his carer, and that bond of parental responsibility was trashed. He was sexually abused by one of his parents,. The fact that he probably loved it is neither here nor there, it set up a precedent for 'normality' which he is now replicating and his daughter will replicate etc etc. They are victims and should not be punished, they should be counselled and if they both want to continue, they are adults, plain and simple.

but America is the only place where there are states/provinces which legalize these relationships - In places like North Carolina / West Virginia - you can legally marry your cousin -

Really? I know the states in the Appalachian region of America have a reputation for being somewhat relaxed in the area of incestuous relations, but I never expected there would be any laws supporting such matters. I'm not challenging you on this -- just surprised.

It reminds me of the joke about the hillbilly boy who wants to get married. The father asks the son a series of questions about his intended bride. Along with other information, he finds out that the girls is 14 years old and lives nearby. The father has no objection with anything he hears until he asks the boy if the girl is a virgin. When the boy tells the father that she is indeed a virgin, the father objects to the wedding and says to his son, "Sorry boy, If she's not good enough for her own family, then she's not good enough for ours."

In the UK you can marry your cousin (I think you can also marry your Aunt/Uncle).

Only siblings/parents/children are prohibited.

In the UK you can marry your cousin (I think you can also marry your Aunt/Uncle).

i don't know any country where marriage among cousins is prohibited.

i don't know any country where marriage among cousins is prohibited.

Yes, it's usually not prohibited by law, but in most places it's frowned upon. Unless of course you're a European aristocrat than it tends to be celebrated.

Edited by Morakot

It's not incest that should be illegal. It's having children from an incestuous relationship.

I'm all for brothers and sisters and fathers and daughters doing it if it doesn't lead to kids. w00t.gif

I'm going to assume you're joking. This story brings a whole new meaning to the Village People for me....