Concrete Vs Wood Costs?

I'd like to build a small house on some land we own in Chiang Mai. Maybe about 120-180 sqm total. To cut some costs on tiling or wood floors, I was thinking of polished concrete floors as I also like the look and feel. So I began poking around the internets and see some really nice modern looking concrete homes.

My question is what would be the cost difference between concrete construction vs the traditional Thai construction (of wood and concrete?).

. . . . . And then, there's the 3rd Option; constructing a dwelling with Light-Steel Frames; which is more cost-effective and enables one to super-insulate (Walls & Ceilings) as well !

There must be a sound reason why most homes built in the US; Canada, OZ & NZ are now built with this brilliant system.

Since recently, there's a company in Thailand (NZ-Machine installed) manufacturing this simple system and if you're interested, just PM me and I'll put you in touch with them.

thumbsup.gif

• 1 year later...

. . . . . And then, there's the 3rd Option; constructing a dwelling with Light-Steel Frames; which is more cost-effective and enables one to super-insulate (Walls & Ceilings) as well !

There must be a sound reason why most homes built in the US; Canada, OZ & NZ are now built with this brilliant system.

Since recently, there's a company in Thailand (NZ-Machine installed) manufacturing this simple system and if you're interested, just PM me and I'll put you in touch with them.

thumbsup.gif

I'm from Canada and I can tell you that most homes there are built using wood frame - because there's lots and lots of trees for making lumber. The smarter, way more expensive way to go is "polystyrene block" (http://www.iceelite.co.za/photo-album/abp-building-block.html)

Still, I'm interested in seeing this "Light-Steel" system.

Take it from a guy that lives in a wood home and will build a concrete (SuperBlock) home soon: Wood homes are beautiful, but they are a GIANT PAIN IN THE ASS. It is impossible to stop rats from chewing their way in, there are millions of hiding places for ants, and termites will always view it as a giant feast. You can eliminate 95% of this with a tightly built concrete home.

Have a wooden house, never a problem with rats or ants/termites. We do have it treated ever month by a company,total cast approx 8,000 per year.

I am not sure if the OP is looking for information about the whole house construction, or just about cost differences between flooring choices.

I like polished concrete in some applications. But for a house I would get tired of the bunker feel and would prefer something with more life in it.

The cost to insure a wooden house is about 3 times more than a concrete home.

I'm sorry you are wrong.

When we insured our home in 2012 we were asked if it was wooden or concrete. Ours is concrete and were given a quote of 6,200 Baht. Out of curiosity I asked what the cost would be if it was wooden. The quote given was over 17,000 baht. I cannot remember the precise figure. That if a rough figure of about 3 times as stated in my previous post

The cost to insure a wooden house is about 3 times more than a concrete home.

I'm sorry you are wrong.

When we insured our home in 2012 we were asked if it was wooden or concrete. Ours is concrete and were given a quote of 6,200 Baht. Out of curiosity I asked what the cost would be if it was wooden. The quote given was over 17,000 baht. I cannot remember the precise figure. That if a rough figure of about 3 times as stated in my previous post

Really it's up to you what you insure the property for, you would work it out on the total cost to replace the house in the event of a fire etc. there should be no need to insure the land, maybe a swimming pool if you have one. Example a house valued with land at 10,000 ,000,

But the cost to rebuild the actual house say 4,000,000, swimming pool 1,000,000, there fore you just insure for 5,000,000. I'm sure the insurance company would be only too pleased if you agree to insure for the whole 10,000,000.