Thailand Never Been Colonised - Fact Or Myth?

loong

economically speaking, they have been colonised. Just see where the elites are trained. How they talk, how they dress, what they dream to be or to have... And 1 basic illustration : companies that invest in tv ad are mainly americans. For ages countries are subjugated by economic tricks more than by military mean

Edited by cluby

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Imphal

see:General William Slim. Because the Allies were planning to take the offensive themselves, the corps' units were thrown forward almost to the Chindwin River and widely separated, and were therefore vulnerable to being isolated and surrounded.

Maybe "deemded" a British win, but it looks like the Indians were fighting the battle. And it wasn't much a win as Britain didn't lose land that it already had. It's more a defense of a position And there is no reports of this army occupying Bangkok.

http://en.wikipedia....attle_of_Imphal

see:General William Slim. Because the Allies were planning to take the offensive themselves, the corps' units were thrown forward almost to the Chindwin River and widely separated, and were therefore vulnerable to being isolated and surrounded.

Maybe "deemded" a British win, but it looks like the Indians were fighting the battle. And it wasn't much a win as Britain didn't lose land that it already had. It's more a defense of a position And there is no reports of this army occupying Bangkok.

It was a British led army, with some British infantry as well, it was of course a British colony from 1842, so from a British point of view at that point in history a part of the Empire. I don't know why, but put you seem to be denigrating the effort of the British in WW11 who suffered, in conjunction with commonwealth forces, a total of 452,000 military deaths.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

And just remind us what the Great Thai Nation was doing to help? Of course Britain was already fighting ONE war elsewhere at the time and would be extremely stretched at best..

• Like 1

It was a British led army, with some British infantry as well, it was of course a British colony from 1842, so from a British point of view at that point in history a part of the Empire. I don't know why, but put you seem to be denigrating the effort of the British in WW11 who suffered, in conjunction with commonwealth forces, a total of 452,000 military deaths.

And the Thai losses he forgot to mention?? oh yeah ZERO as he likes to quote.

Better to fight and lose than take it up the jacksy, id rather go down fighting with some respect.

Better to fight and lose than take it up the jacksy, id rather go down fighting with some respect.

I think that was the point, he wants this turning into a we and them thing.

Maybe he'd have a different view if this had happened in Thailand http://www.asianholocaust.org/china---info.html

I bet those members from New Zealand, Australia and Canada with a knowledge of their nations' sacrifice in WWII must be reading this thread with disbelief. Long before there was the US lend lease, there was the Canadian lend lease that saw almost $5billion go to the UK and then Russia. The UK was kept on life support by Canada. After the debacle of Dunkirk it was the RCAF and RCA that was the sole operational group that stood between the Nazis and England. It was Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and South Africans that filled the gaps in the RAF during the Battle of Britain. It was Australia and New Zealand and remnants of the Dutch in Indonesia that delayed the Japanese as they marched across the Pacific. It was the Canadians sacrificed in Singapore and Hong Kong by the British and it was the Australians that against enormous odds sabotaged the Japanese war machine in the South Pacific. There would have been no victory in the South Pacific without Australia and New Zealand. The British blocked the Japanese entry into India because of the agreement of the Indians to fight, but that came at a price: India's independence. Similar undertakings were given in Malaya and other colonies. The independence of India has nothing to do with the USA, but was an agreement between the UK and India.

And then we come to Thailand, the Japanese lackey state. The Thais were rightly more concerned with their own nation and eld expansionist desires. If the French were disposed of, they could more easily grab more of Laos and even of Cambodia. The Japanese defeat of the French was in the best interests of Thailand's expansionist plans. Unfortunately, the Thais misjudged and ended up with much less than they thought they would get from their collaboration. There was no need for colonial status when the country was a vassal state of the Japanese.

• Like 2

I bet those members from New Zealand, Australia and Canada with a knowledge of their nations' sacrifice in WWII must be reading this thread with disbelief. Long before there was the US lend lease, there was the Canadian lend lease that saw almost $5billion go to the UK and then Russia. The UK was kept on life support by Canada. After the debacle of Dunkirk it was the RCAF and RCA that was the sole operational group that stood between the Nazis and England. It was Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and South Africans that filled the gaps in the RAF during the Battle of Britain. It was Australia and New Zealand and remnants of the Dutch in Indonesia that delayed the Japanese as they marched across the Pacific. It was the Canadians sacrificed in Singapore and Hong Kong by the British and it was the Australians that against enormous odds sabotaged the Japanese war machine in the South Pacific. There would have been no victory in the South Pacific without Australia and New Zealand. The British blocked the Japanese entry into India because of the agreement of the Indians to fight, but that came at a price: India's independence. Similar undertakings were given in Malaya and other colonies. The independence of India has nothing to do with the USA, but was an agreement between the UK and India.

And then we come to Thailand, the Japanese lackey state. The Thais were rightly more concerned with their own nation and eld expansionist desires. If the French were disposed of, they could more easily grab more of Laos and even of Cambodia. The Japanese defeat of the French was in the best interests of Thailand's expansionist plans. Unfortunately, the Thais misjudged and ended up with much less than they thought they would get from their collaboration. There was no need for colonial status when the country was a vassal state of the Japanese.

As usual interesting input, just did a Google search and found the following

The Royal Air Force roll of honour for the Battle of Britain recognises 595 non-British pilots (out of 2,936) as flying at least one authorised operational sortie with an eligible unit of the RAF or Fleet Air Arm between 10 July and 31 October 1940.[10][84] These included 145 Poles, 127 New Zealanders, 112 Canadians, 88 Czechoslovaks, 32 Australians, 28 Belgians, 25 South Africans, 13 French, 10 Irish, 7 Americans, and one each from Jamaica, the British Mandate of Palestine, and Southern Rhodesia.[85] "Altogether in the fighter battles, the bombing raids, and the various patrols flown between 10 July and 31 October 1940 by the Royal Air Force, 1495 aircrew were killed, of whom 449 were fighter pilots, 718 aircrew from Bomber Command, and 280 from Coastal Command. Among those killed were 47 airmen from Canada, 24 from Australia, 17 from South Africa, 35 from Poland, 20 from Czechoslovakia and six from Belgium. Forty-seven New Zealanders lost their lives, including 15 fighter pilots, 24 bomber and eight coastal aircrew. The names of these Allied and Commonwealth airmen are inscribed in a memorial book which rests in the Battle of Britain Chapel in Westminster Abbey. In the chapel is a stained glass window which contains the badges of the fighter squadrons which operated during the battle and the flags of the nations to which the pilots and aircrew belonged.

Edited by simple1

Spot on................wai.gif

There is no doubt whatsoever that the following two statements are true.........

Britain was the last free state standing in Europe after Dunkirk.

It only remained so because the Commonwealth countries poured in to help while the US procrastinated.

Anyone with a knowledge of WW2 knows the importance of the Commonwealth countries. wai.gif

The issue of colonization of Thailand is possibly a misnomer........to my knowledge ( may be wrong ) every other nation that declared war on the Allies found themselves subjected to administrative governments or direct military command after the war. We all know what happened to the countries behind the Iron Curtain, however a lot of people don't know that the Japanese Constitution was written and imposed on them ( rightly so ) by the US.

The earlier article about the US diplomats interfering to overturn the decision that Britain should administrate is in my opinion, a prime example of people making decisions way above their pay grade. Thailand should have been put under either UK or US administration after the war for a certain period of time, would you believe that I know some Thais that believe it would have been a good thing??? They can see the progress of Singapore and Malaysia and the relative stability and success of the countries, and they wish Thailand had a bit of that.

Anyway......ask yourself this, if it had been announced at the end of the war that Thailand was to be run by the British how would you have felt about that?........

Now ask yourself if it was announced that it was to be run by the US how would you have felt about that?..........

Have you ever wondered how people's perception of what is right and wrong is so strongly influenced by their country of birth? The US and the UK are two of the strongest allies that the world has ever seen but the populaces spend too much time fighting like rats in a sack about stupid things, while on the foundation humanity issues we are in total agreement.

Nowt queerer that folk. coffee1.gif

Again.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

I'm trying really hard not to start a willy waving contest and I apologise in advance if I fail but I have a small point of order to make : the aforementioned units were part of the Fourteenth Army which was by no means composed totally of commonwealth troops, not to mention the fact that all officers of field rank and a large proportion of officers below field rank in commonwealth regiments were British.

Edited by Trembly

I think the Thais view the Japanese occupation as a 'temporarily permitted alliance'.

Unless they were comfort women. The Japanese took them from every country they controlled.

No Thai comfort women. The Japanese paid. A lot of written history of comfort women. Never any mention of Thai women.

The Thais would have mentioned it because at the time they were trying to get our of paying war reparations and any negatives against Japan were made public.

http://bdc-lancaster.net/criticalWriting/The_Comfort_Women_of_WWII.html

Myth

The colonisation of Isaan is in full swing as I type.

Its pace would accelerate even further if there were more farangs willing to donate a house.

The dilution of Thai ethnicity is also steadily progressing. Last year in Australia for example, there were more than 40 thousand Thai fiancee visa applications.

That's a rather unique military strategy. I can imagine you on the battlefield. "You heard me right, send the troops out to slaughter! I don't care if we're outmanned and outgunned. This is not about winning, it's about protecting my inflated ego!" Really courageous. I just have one question: Are you and Pseudolus engaged in some sort of torrid love affair? You guys seem to be on the same wavelength.

Thailand simply collaborated with the Japanese. The Thai elite never gave very much about the men in the street who suffered too. Thailand has switched allies just weeks before the Japanese lost the war and they send a few medics to the allies. Thailand has been forced to pay damages to the allies in the form of rice (they probably never did) check too why the name has changed from Siam to thailand.

Thailand was always very smart in changing alliances. Kissing up with the enemy was a way to avoid too much land loss. Still the Thais have lost land to France.

Ok folks, why don't you all go hang out with your buddy Pseudolis. You three are all cut from same cloth of Britania. Come'on let's hear the chant: "We're British, we're better than everyone else! We're British we're better than everyboyd else!" We're 70 old lager louts, who laid bricks in the homeland. But we're going to come to Thailand and reinvent ourselves as lords of the manor. We're going to pretend it's the grand colonial days of the empire. And we're going have little brown servants and sit on the plantation sipping tea. And we're going to complain about the Thais and insult them and expect them to say anything nothing to us in response. Because We're British!! Hooray! How dare they anything about us. Can't you see we're British. Because we're British we can call Thailand the weazel of Asia. Yay!! How wonderful it is to be British!

Thailand therefore spoke to Japan. Imagine a schoolboy, spoilt brat mummies boy of course, talking to its teacher. Japan says "Right you, we are marching through and taking Thailand next week. Do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way". Thailand response is "By easy way, do you mean that we get to tell the world we are your partners and feel important, don't have to do much, apart from profit a little, can partake in war crimes and have no accountability, and pretend to all and sundry when you lose that we were always on the good guys side?". To which Japan said "yeah what ever. Sign that or we'll give you the Penang treatment.".

Is that about it? So historically Thailand is a bit of a weasel on the world stage?

We're British Hooray!!! We can say what we want about a country that we are guests in! We're British!! We're certainly good at dishing it out, but we can't take it!!!

Edited by sbk

Colonised - No. Colonial powers used Thailand as a boundary between their power - to avoid conflicts between the colonial powers.

Occupied - Yes

I feel I am in agreement with loveloas.

I tend to agree - the only reason Thailand was not colonised is that Japan was defeated. If they had not been, Thailand would be basically colonised. If this was not the case, then history is wrong in talking about the Japan Invasion of Thailand, and there would never have been a Free Thai Movement. Yet again, the same as the French.

If one views "colonization" as being the overtaking of the cultural and ethnic identity of an indigenous or well-established population or society, then certainly the argument could be made that Thailand has been increasingly colonized since the days of Rama V; and especially since the past two decades. Heck, I'm doing my part... wink.png

Edited by SNGLIFE

What about the Burmese invasion of 1569 ? Wasnt "Thailand" technically a colony/vassal state of Burma for about 15 years, further were not the Khmers the orginal people of the area and the "Tai" people "invaded" from Southern China ?

I think the OP title is slightly incorrect, isnt Thailand claim to fame the fact they were never colonised by a western power, unlike what happened in Cambodia/Vietnam and Burma ie French and British

Thailand has most definitely been colonised

It has indeed been colonised but, as said here by Soutpeel, not by a western country. Maybe if it had, none of us would be here.

There is a clear difference between invasion and colonization. The Japs invaded but didn't colonize, unless Fuji restaurants amongst many others are what remains of their legacy?

So long as foreigners are not allowed to buy land in Thailand it will not be colonized, but perhaps more westernized, which isn't a good thing. The introduction of motorway speed cameras and higher taxes on alcohol and tobacco, means the powers that be are following western government practices and can spot an opportunity to make some cash out of the rapidly growing Thai middle classes and expats.

I think the Thais view the Japanese occupation as a 'temporarily permitted alliance'.

Unless they were comfort women. The Japanese took them from every country they controlled.

No Thai comfort women. The Japanese paid. A lot of written history of comfort women. Never any mention of Thai women.

The Thais would have mentioned it because at the time they were trying to get our of paying war reparations and any negatives against Japan were made public.

http://bdc-lancaster...en_of_WWII.html

That is the first reference I have ever seen to Thai women used by the Japanese as comfort women. The author provides no documentation for her claim but she does seem very sincere. Too bad she does not let us in on her facts.