Ayutthaya - Any Good For A Couple Days?

thelongshoot

Sorry to post this in general topics. Couldnt think of where else to put it. I have Googled it of course and it looks like a nice place to spend a couple days but I was looking for ex-pat feedback I guess....

I live in Hua Hin, by the way and have lived in Thailand for 9 years. Ayyuthaya is one place i have never been. I like temples and culture and there are loads of them of course, as does my girlfriend. My only worry is that we may be a little bored as there does not seem like much to do there?

Any opinions? Not looking for a long thread here - and doubt it will turn into one anyway as this is not the most interesting thing ever posted on TV - but a few replies with opinion would be greatly appreciated. Its a 4 hour drive from here and I dont want to turn up and regret it.

Thanks so much

TLS

As you said, apart from the historical bits that are interesting, there's not much else.

It's even a stretch to find a good restaurant as they're all geared up towards tourists with the usual lack of quality food and service.

I'm glad I did it, and if I ever was to go back it would be for a one night stay only i.o. to give my wife some quality time visiting the sites.

Hope to have helped, and wish to clarify this is my personal opinion. Others may think different.

Yermaneewai.gif

Obviously if you are looking for temples and culture Ayyuthaya has these in abundance. If you are driving in the area........ then think about Bungchawak lake just north of Suphan Buri, Chai Nat bird park, The Pasak dam, Lop Buri for the monkeys, lots out and about from the city but not much more than the ruins inside.

before i live in Ayutthaya for 5 years i have to move last december because flooding so Ayutthaya its ok for 3 days Not more in Ayutthaya you have a Floating Market elephant Camp its nice to see and The ruines so 3 days its Enough enjoy Ayutthaya you can rent a bicycle for 30 bahts a Days or moto bike for 250 to 300 baht a Day rent a Tuk Tuk for 3 hours beetween 200 baht an Hours good luck if you like Tourist Area go to Tony Place the room around 500 baht too 1500

I went last weekend, extremelly hot, and once i had seen one felt i had seen them all. After a couple of hours i had had enough. Depends how interested you are and how many temples etc you have seen already.

Wont be returning, but just my opinion as asked for others may enjoy more.

Lop Buri monkeys, well seen one bunch of monkeys seen them all, closest i have come i think to swearing at a persistant sellors.

Have you ever been up to Sukhothai? I went there instead of Ayyuthya. It really is beautiful. Easy bus ride about 6 hours with a rest stop. Left from Mo Chit. Many folks have told me they enjoyed the drive up to Phitsanalok too when they took their own car. I spent two days in Sukhothai itself. I didn't find much to do, but I was just sleeping and spent the day at the historic site. Typical Thai food in town. Really pretty countryside.

Last time I was in Ayuttaya, my wife and I visited her Aunt who lives up the river a little. We had to use one of the boats to get to her house and then used the same boat for about half a day to explore the river system. Whilst boating around we stopped at a few temples, 2 of them very old, one of them very big and popular with many visitors. We also went for a visit to an elephant camp they have there, my daughter enjoyed going for an elephant ride. Hotels there were few and far and average to poor. 3 days would nail it.

Find someone with a boat and try and charter them for a half a day, for us it was probably the best aspect of our stay in Ayuttayah.

Have fun.

Obviously if you are looking for temples and culture Ayyuthaya has these in abundance. If you are driving in the area........ then think about Bungchawak lake just north of Suphan Buri, Chai Nat bird park, The Pasak dam, Lop Buri for the monkeys, lots out and about from the city but not much more than the ruins inside.

Good info- thanks.

I've had a couple of visits to Ayutthaya and both time stayed at http://www.theoldpalaceresort.com/

Cheap but reasonable accommodation. Very close to the ruins and the great Night Market - for food.

Definitely recommend getting further north to see Lopburi, Sukkothai and Phitsanulok while you're north of BKK.

It does help if you are interested in Thai history.