Thai Firm Pleads Guilty Over Australian Oil Spill

webfact

510K AUD is nothing to an oil company probably the wages of 2 or 3 workers. Being heard in the Magistrate's Court (The Lowest Court) that was probably the highest amount they could impose. Matters like these are normally heard in the County Court.

Americans!!!

They don't know very much !!! cheesy.gif

The matter was heard in the Lands, Planning and Mining Tribunal, a branch of the Magistrate's Court. Contrary to your comments above, the Tribunal is not "the lowest court". Contrary to what you may believe, the Australian court system is NOT the same as the US. We have no "County Court". The Tribunal is empowered to issue any fine or sentence contained in the appropriate legislation.

Sorry cobber I'm not American but I have seen one and actually said G'day to the bloke. Australia Does have COUNTY Courts.

il

<deleted>...positive proof my ar*e doesnt prove anything...same thing could be said of specific British company operating in the Gulf of Mexico....whistling.gif

Soutpeel, BP is not a British company! There was a time when it was state-owned as British Petroleum, but it is as much Yank-owned, and myriad other entities, as it is British. It is only known by its former title, British Petroleum, when prats (Barack Obama) want to apportion the blame to the old satan. While the Anglo-American-and-everyone-else's-company was holding the ticket for Deepwater Horizon, the people operating it were Transocean, but we can't blame them can we because it doesn't sound British!

This is the exact point I am trying to make...BP is as much a British company as PTTEP is a Thai company, they are MNC's...PTTEP shareholders include Total, at one time British gas (not sure if this is still true) and in this case an Aussie stakeholder, further in this case who was operating the rig ?..A Thai company ? No... Seadrill, which is Norwegian and who was involved in the possible dodgy cement job ? Haliburton

.....the example you give about wanting to apportion blame is exactly same as some of the simplist comments given by some TV posters....PTTEP = Thai company = all Thai's are useless, take short cuts and dont know what they are doing so they caused the rig to burst into flames, but then I suppose I cant blame them, as this must be their perception sitting on a bar stool in Pattaya

What happened in the Tasmin sea has many similarities are to what occured in the gulf of Mexico with BP.

Edited by Soutpeel