My Driver's License Story

TheWalkingMan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a minor correction. DMV doesn't exist. It is DLT Department of Land Transportthumbsup.gif

Dude, thanks! I kept thinking that DMV was wrong but I did not know the proper name.

Just one question, what kind of visa are you on? Can you do it on a tourist visa? I did a renewal this year but I had a Non O visa and I am enquiring on behalf of a friend. Thanks.

No visa, just the 30 day stamp as I pop in and out of the country and never bothered with applying for a visa. This is in Pattaya and Pattaya might be more flexible as there are so many people who, like me, never apply to stay longer than 30 days but are in town on a somewhat regular basis. If your friend is in Pattaya, he/she should just go ahead and get it sorted. It removes the anxiety of riding around town and having the police pull you over. I got pulled over once before and it was not a pleasant feeling.

Good descriptive topic smile.png

What did the actual bike ride test consist of, if I may ask?

The bike test was as follows...

From the starting line you go into a slalom of about 5 cones. Do not hit the cones. Next you must ride up a small, narrow raised section of cement (think balance beam but only 10 centimeters off the ground and maybe narrow enough for two scooter tires) for about 10 meters. If you do not make it to the end, you fail. They are very strict about this and will watch you like a hawk to make sure that you make it all the way. Go straight for maybe 10-12 meters and make a right turn, another quick right, then a left (ignore the stop sign but watch the demonstration in case it is a trap). Follow the path around until you get to the next stop sign. You must stop here. Go about 30 meters more and there is another stop sign. You must stop here also. At this point I think the test is over, but the guy who did the demonstration turned left, then another left, essentially a U-turn into the area behind the main building and followed the road to the front of the building, the parking lot. From there I just parked my bike in the area of the starting line of the test and got my result.

I made a JPG of google earth and marked the course, but I cannot get it to upload/attach. I also made a PDF file and that would not upload/attach also. Strange...

Edited by TheWalkingMan

On the visa issue, you need 2-3 weeks left valid visa.

I remember when i was on border 30 day visa i had to hurry up get driving license

while i still had enough valid visa, most likely 3 weeks left requirement

Edited by poanoi

Just had to renew my 1 year to a 5 year, arrived at 8am, walking out at 9am, still had to do the reaction and color tests. Threw me the first time last year as there are two different yellows, did you notice that? I thought it was a trap.

Its painless really, organized chaos

Seems things have changed for the worst. My own experience some eight years ago,was absolutely brilliant.

My wife and I went to the relevant department,and there was 60 or 70 people there waiting,so we was preparing for a long wait.

5 minutes later a lady came out from the office,and in we went,she looked at my UK Licence,and said I can see you are a good driver (not especially true) and then she said I will give you a 1 year Driving Licence,come back next year and I will give a 5 year Licence,and sure enough she did.

No tests or hassle, amazing! Apparently from later reports she was moved deep into the office heirachy and never got to meet Farangs again,I think maybe she was too bright for the system.

Edited by MAJIC

From the starting line you go into a slalom of about 5 cones. Do not hit the cones. Next you must ride up a small, narrow raised section of cement (think balance beam but only 10 centimeters off the ground and maybe narrow enough for two scooter tires) for about 10 meters. If you do not make it to the end, you fail. They are very strict about this and will watch you like a hawk to make sure that you make it all the way. Go straight for maybe 10-12 meters and make a right turn, another quick right, then a left (ignore the stop sign but watch the demonstration in case it is a trap). Follow the path around until you get to the next stop sign. You must stop here. Go about 30 meters more and there is another stop sign. You must stop here also. At this point I think the test is over, but the guy who did the demonstration turned left, then another left, essentially a U-turn into the area behind the main building and followed the road to the front of the building, the parking lot. From there I just parked my bike in the area of the starting line of the test and got my result.

I made a JPG of google earth and marked the course, but I cannot get it to upload/attach. I also made a PDF file and that would not upload/attach also. Strange...

Thanks very much for the information on the test. I'll need to take one soon as I no longer have a car.

I presume you are not allowed to put your feet down or that would be classed as a fail?

Thanks very much for the information on the test. I'll need to take one soon as I no longer have a car.

I presume you are not allowed to put your feet down or that would be classed as a fail?

You're only allowed to put your feet down if your riding 2nd or 3rd pillion with no helmet, doing over 70km/h, and wearing flip flops......wink.png

• Like 1

Very good description. I did this a few months ago. It was so crowded, people were turned away. They only take so many per day, so show up early.

A lady was told to go home as her shorts were to "short". They process you through like cattle. No patience. They don't take bribes.

"I made a JPG of google earth and marked the course, but I cannot get it to upload/attach"

Could you post the Google map coordinates?

If you don't know how to access the coordinates - follow the instructions below.

Bring up the Google map on your screen

Right-click on the desired spot on the map to bring up a menu with options.

In the menu, select What’s here?.

Click the green arrow to get the latitude and longitude coordinates.

Why was a car licence available to you without testing?

If you got a license from your home country you often can get an other license with minimal testing (believe only the physical tests)

I was under the impression that's only if you have an International Driver's licence.

• Like 1

I had a DL from my home country. I still had to do the "physical" tests. Color chart, lining up the bars and the braking test on some silly machine. Other than that, I got my license. No int'l DL.

But my DL didn't have the approval for motorcycles. So I had to take the written and driving tests.

Now I have both!

I had a DL from my home country. I still had to do the "physical" tests. Color chart, lining up the bars and the braking test on some silly machine. Other than that, I got my license. No int'l DL.

But my DL didn't have the approval for motorcycles. So I had to take the written and driving tests.

Now I have both!

Great! That will make things a lot easier.

I believe that is correct, unless you are at the stop sign. They did not specifically say that, just to do what the demonstrator did and his feet did not touch the ground until the stop signs.

It was totally unexpected. The woman at the first desk I went to told me that I could get a car license by just paying money. I had my car license from California.

"I made a JPG of google earth and marked the course, but I cannot get it to upload/attach"

Could you post the Google map coordinates?

If you don't know how to access the coordinates - follow the instructions below.

Bring up the Google map on your screen

Right-click on the desired spot on the map to bring up a menu with options.

In the menu, select What’s here?.

Click the green arrow to get the latitude and longitude coordinates.

Hey, I learned something new - Here are the coordinates 12.968511,100.972162

+12 58' 6.64" +100 58' 19.78"

I guess the "9" is the degree sign?

We have a heart beat! Here is the map of the course.

post-38575-0-41302300-1346420682_thumb.j

• Like 1

Seems things have changed for the worst. My own experience some eight years ago,was absolutely brilliant.

My wife and I went to the relevant department,and there was 60 or 70 people there waiting,so we was preparing for a long wait.

5 minutes later a lady came out from the office,and in we went,she looked at my UK Licence,and said I can see you are a good driver (not especially true) and then she said I will give you a 1 year Driving Licence,come back next year and I will give a 5 year Licence,and sure enough she did.

No tests or hassle, amazing! Apparently from later reports she was moved deep into the office heirachy and never got to meet Farangs again,I think maybe she was too bright for the system.

Hold on there Majic. You claim she was was too bright for the DLT system yet say she issues UK (only) drivers unchallenged 1 year & 5 year Thai drivers licenses even though you claim you were not a good driver????whistling.gif I think they should have fired her and rehired her at immigration! tongue.png Are Aussies, Canadians, Americans and Eurpeans inferior to you Brits? I did not have to do the computer or driving tests on my 1 or 5 year licenses but the color, reaction and depth perception tests were required - you would think with the number of older retirees here it would be mandatory for safety reasons?

Edited by gerry53

Hold on there Majic. You claim she was was too bright for the DLT system yet say she issues UK (only) drivers unchallenged 1 year & 5 year Thai drivers licenses even though you claim you were not a good driver????whistling.gif I think they should have fired her and rehired her at immigration! tongue.png Are Aussies, Canadians, Americans and Eurpeans inferior to you Brits? I did not have to do the computer or driving tests on my 1 or 5 year licenses but the color, reaction and depth perception tests were required - you would think with the number of older retirees here it would be mandatory for safety reasons?

I didn't say she issued only UK Drivers Licences. I hold a full UK Licence. So it was safe for her to issue me with a Thai Licence,considering to pass a uk driving test is much more stringent than a Thai Test. And yes I consider she was pretty smart,enough to make decisions,or would you rather clog up the system with Farangs? I don't suppose you would have considered that her job may have been to deal with Farangs only? for that very reason?

Edited by Rimmer
Inflammatory

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I went yesterday to get my drivers licenses renewed in Patrhumthani. I had both, car and bike licences from Pattaya, but thoseexpired 4 yrs ago. Due to this , I had to re-do the whole deal.

As I hold a US license which is valid for a car only, I did not have to do the testing for the car part. Only the brake machine and vision test. For the bike however, I had to do the full course. This is quite something here in Pathumthani, as I had to listen to 4hrs of lecture in Thai :) I told the guys that I don't understand a word that they are saying, but it didn't matter - I had to listen through it all. They issued me the car license the same day and for the bike, I took the written test the same day and I had to do a driving test next day.

All done, regular way, and good to go :)

Cheers

If you got a license from your home country you often can get an other license with minimal testing (believe only the physical tests)

yes i got both cos of a full uk license without driving or riding, but once you have done your test, go round the back and watch thai ladies doing their driving test especialy the parelel parking , i watched for 2 hours had to come away, i was exhausted through laughing so much, and the guy under the tree watching them (the examiner) was asleep for most of the time,, T.I.T.

All I had to do was drive straight along a painted line, drive between some pylons, not slalom, and bring the bike back to the start. It took about 15 seconds.

But I think because it was just me and the instructor he was just going through the motions. He gave no demonstration, just just told me what to do.

This years retest was so east compared to 2005. They had the dam_n flight stick you had to line up about 4 meters away from you instead of the 2 meters now. They also had a tester that spoke english well enough to tell you what they wanted in the tests. 2005 I thought the brake reaction test you had to wait till the last possible second to hit to line up before the red mark. this time the second it turns green stomp on the brake=pass. No written test for a returning 5-6 year licenses renewal Had to watch a lame video(which I ducked out twice & got bawked at by my ole lady. The Thais were laughing they new the video already was a joke or maybe they were laughing at me for blowing off my girl bitching!

The 2005 test had no english speaking person to tell you what they expected you to do on the motorcycle course. Alisa told me to just do what the Thai girl in front of me does....Bad advice . We hit the slolem she went sailing through & missed going through any cones. I followed missed one cone & recovered to late. Instafail. The narrow beam you go across your legs can't assis you at all just punch it & go to the end(only if you have a scooter- Not on a sportbike )

Took 20 minutes + the video. Painless. If you already have a drivers lic. with motorcycle endorsements in your home country you just need to take the written & reaction-color tests.

All in All the experience was way improved since my original testing. They really could use a Sony playstation like the U.S. airforce uses for any simulation or reaction tests. I think they ditched the flight stick in the 40's when they went towards modern controls opposed to Kamakazi flight sticks LOL

A question on the timing of the renewal; Do I have to wait until my license has expired or can I do this just before as well?

You can do it before it expires. Whatever day you do it will be one year from then. Do NOT wait until it has expired.