No Free Wifi Router When Applying For 3Bb Internet? Everybody Has To Pay For 3Bb Router Or Buy One ?

Fgis

It is worth investing in a cheap little G router. The N routers are all well and good, but most people don't need them at present in Thailand. The biggest internet connections might warrant it, but us slightly more budget conscious people are happily making do with 9-10Mb. I run an Home Theatre PC serving Bluray (compressed mkv) around my house over my G router happily with 2 people watching 2 different films with no problems.

Go for a router that will take the Tomato or DD-WRT firmware upgrades and you'll find plenty of simple to follow instructions online to help you set up a well managed network. You will end up, over 2 years, paying less and getting more as you will be able to control how your data is shared with FAR greater freedom.

• Like 2

I recently got 3BB. The router was only $20 or so.

They advertise 7mb/s download speed. I tested it and it is generally between 6.5 - 6.99.

TOT only promises between 3-7 for the same price.

The router cost is nothing. The only thing you should be concerned about is service which is great.

Dunno about 3BB but I paid TOT about 700 baht for mine. When I moved house it came with me

I have one from TOT but I want to change to 3BB, do you know if you can use with 3BB

Mine is billion 5200G something, maybe if I reset or change the firmware? somebody already try it?

Dunno about 3BB but I paid TOT about 700 baht for mine. When I moved house it came with me

I have one from TOT but I want to change to 3BB, do you know if you can use with 3BB

Mine is billion 5200G something, maybe if I reset or change the firmware? somebody already try it?

Yes it will work. All ADSL providers in Thailand use PPPoE so any ADSL modem/router from one will work with another. Only the VPI/VCI differs between them.

Edited by Dork
  • Like 1

It is worth investing in a cheap little G router. The N routers are all well and good, but most people don't need them at present in Thailand. The biggest internet connections might warrant it, but us slightly more budget conscious people are happily making do with 9-10Mb. I run an Home Theatre PC serving Bluray (compressed mkv) around my house over my G router happily with 2 people watching 2 different films with no problems.

Go for a router that will take the Tomato or DD-WRT firmware upgrades and you'll find plenty of simple to follow instructions online to help you set up a well managed network. You will end up, over 2 years, paying less and getting more as you will be able to control how your data is shared with FAR greater freedom.

Agree with what you say but even the cheapest of the cheap wifi routers are N capable nowadays.

I recently got 3BB. The router was only $20 or so.

They advertise 7mb/s download speed. I tested it and it is generally between 6.5 - 6.99.

TOT only promises between 3-7 for the same price.

The router cost is nothing. The only thing you should be concerned about is service which is great.

I too signed for 3BB and because my laptop is used in one place when at home and only has a 54Mb WiFi port I opted for the free 1 port ethernet router because 100Mb is faster then 54Mb. My neighbour later asked to share our internet so I said if you want to get a cheap ethernet switch and some cable then OK. We now have a little network going and both parties are very happy. If I later decide that I really, really need WiFi and it's inherent problems with walls etc then I can wait till prices for 54Mb routers hit rock bottom and buy one.

The plan I signed up to in April was 3BB 6Mb @ 590B (+ tax)/month for 12m, installation was ~ 2kB but that was free, and as I had no router they supplied one for 1,280B which is mine forever (actually it WAS mine forever, but I paid out the year's contract and left the lot with the ex - sucker me!). AA

The plan I signed up to in April was 3BB 6Mb @ 590B (+ tax)/month for 12m, installation was ~ 2kB but that was free, and as I had no router they supplied one for 1,280B which is mine forever (actually it WAS mine forever, but I paid out the year's contract and left the lot with the ex - sucker me!). AA

Yep that sounds like the same plan as mine and we were offered the Wifi router at a price but I said give us the free one (have to give back if we cancel within 12 months but I think we can keep after 12 months) and like I say you can spend the time evaluating 3BBs performance and expand your system as you see fit. Not much point jumping in with both feet with all the bells and whistles if you later decide it's a load of rubbish.

mmm i didn't know that.

I already have a Linksys router with DD-WRT so the free modem is enough for me...

but another question, they using the TOT line or they have they own line?

right now my home have TOT internet and phone but real we never use the phone (such a very old technology or maybe only for complain when internet not work xD)

this is the first time that I rented a home for one year so I not have any idea about this services, and really I prefer no IT guys from any companies, with me is enogh xD, I can use the existing LAN network in this home.

mmm i didn't know that.

I already have a Linksys router with DD-WRT so the free modem is enough for me...

right now my home have TOT internet and phone but real we never use the phone (such a very old technology or maybe only for complain when internet not work xD)

this is the first time that I rented a home for one year so I not have any idea about this services, and really I prefer no IT guys from any companies, with me is enogh xD, I can use the existing LAN network in this home.

Hi ITGabs, as you didn't include a quote I'm not sure what you don't know, if it's about keeping the router then don't hold me to it because the sales guy (although we warned 3BB there was a farang here ) did not speak any English. My wife translated and she left out my curses about the price of the Wifi router - can get a lot better at IT city for much less money. Anyway she seemed to think he said we can keep it but she sells food, she knows nothing about IT and ISP contracts.

mmm i didn't know that.

Hi ITGabs, as you didn't include a quote I'm not sure what you don't know, if it's about keeping the router then don't hold me to it because the sales guy (although we warned 3BB there was a farang here ) did not speak any English. My wife translated and she left out my curses about the price of the Wifi router - can get a lot better at IT city for much less money. Anyway she seemed to think he said we can keep it but she sells food, she knows nothing about IT and ISP contracts.

Hi Sysardman ;)

Was about the free modem, and keeping the router, sorry

But now I have a better idea.

The unique thing that I still don't know is about the telephone line

Do they put a new telephone line?

My girlfriend already call to 3BB she is thai and she haves degree in IT/business with some experience, but she gets very few information all the time, she change the mod with the young, not professional or not farang people, like a very clasist girl, so all the time is disagreeable, not smile and ask very few things xD ...when we travel together the past months I get better prices/places than she speaking my bad thainglish, she only find enemyies in the reception of the hotels :/

So I prefer to have the big picture by my self and later explain everything to she and she do the rest

mmm i didn't know that.

Hi Sysardman wink.png

My girlfriend already call to 3BB she is thai and she haves degree in IT/business with some experience, but she gets very few information all the time, she change the mod with the young, not professional or not farang people, like a very clasist girl, so all the time is disagreeable, not smile and ask very few things xD ...when we travel together the past months I get better prices/places than she speaking my bad thainglish, she only find enemyies in the reception of the hotels :/

So I prefer to have the big picture by my self and later explain everything to she and she do the rest

Hi ITGabs, sorry for delay in answering but had other things to do (like eating). We did not have a phone line so they put a new line in but it doesn't have access for a phone. I have to say they were very efficient and the line was installed and running within an hour (for testing) we had to wait till next day for full Internet access. As for the modem I really can't see them asking for a cruddy old 1 port ethernet router back after one years usage, can you? and so far (3 months) we've had no problems with it. I too have an IT degree so was a little bit upset when the rep looked blank when we asked if he spoke English. I'm not sure about the help desk either because, as mentioned, we've had no trouble other than a few power cuts but that's not their fault. Hope that helps and if you have any more questions - feel free.

mmm i didn't know that.

Hi Sysardman wink.png

Hi ITGabs, sorry for delay in answering but had other things to do (like eating). We did not have a phone line so they put a new line in but it doesn't have access for a phone. I have to say they were very efficient and the line was installed and running within an hour (for testing) we had to wait till next day for full Internet access. As for the modem I really can't see them asking for a cruddy old 1 port ethernet router back after one years usage, can you? and so far (3 months) we've had no problems with it. I too have an IT degree so was a little bit upset when the rep looked blank when we asked if he spoke English. I'm not sure about the help desk either because, as mentioned, we've had no trouble other than a few power cuts but that's not their fault. Hope that helps and if you have any more questions - feel free.

Don't worry I was not expecting that you answer so fast :)

That it's good information... and off course that I can :P really I have no problem with TOT only with the router Billion that block some webpages I think in relation with some bug with VPNs, but now I am using the Billion only as a modem/hub no dhcp/firewall/access point, I only setup the DMZ to my DD WRT Linksys router that have many complex/advanced configurations unsupported by other routers, so really I only need the adsl modem.

You can tell me the branch and the model of that prehistoric modem? curiosity only :P

Hi Sysardman wink.png

Don't worry I was not expecting that you answer so fast smile.png

That it's good information... and off course that I can tongue.png really I have no problem with TOT only with the router Billion that block some webpages I think in relation with some bug with VPNs, but now I am using the Billion only as a modem/hub no dhcp/firewall/access point, I only setup the DMZ to my DD WRT Linksys router that have many complex/advanced configurations unsupported by other routers, so really I only need the adsl modem.

You can tell me the branch and the model of that prehistoric modem? curiosity only tongue.png

Hi again not sure what you mean by branch, to English folks a branch (besides being something that grows on a tree) refers to a sub office of a large company - if that's the case it's 3BB in Chiang Mai.

The router is not really prehistoric, it's a HUAWEI SmartAX MT880 and was very easy for configuring for port forwarding for my torrents etc. Has quite a lot of features which you can check on the Internet now you know the model.

Actually having a degree and stuff convinces me to adopt the principle of 'simple works' because the more bells and whistles I see people buying because it seems 'neat' the more headaches I see them have when it goes wrongthumbsup.gif

As for the blocked web pages I'm afraid big brother mict.go.th is hitting all the Thai ISPs 3BB includedbah.gif

Hi again not sure what you mean by branch, to English folks a branch (besides being something that grows on a tree) refers to a sub office of a large company - if that's the case it's 3BB in Chiang Mai.

The router is not really prehistoric, it's a HUAWEI SmartAX MT880 and was very easy for configuring for port forwarding for my torrents etc. Has quite a lot of features which you can check on the Internet now you know the model.

Actually having a degree and stuff convinces me to adopt the principle of 'simple works' because the more bells and whistles I see people buying because it seems 'neat' the more headaches I see them have when it goes wrongthumbsup.gif

As for the blocked web pages I'm afraid big brother mict.go.th is hitting all the Thai ISPs 3BB includedbah.gif

HI! I mean branD nor brach... thanks for the info, soon I will change to 3BB, that should be better than TOT

months ago I found many hotels without any restriction/blocked page I thought they was using 3BB

HI! I mean branD nor brach... thanks for the info, soon I will change to 3BB, that should be better than TOT

months ago I found many hotels without any restriction/blocked page I thought they was using 3BB

Hi again - don't count on pages you saw months ago. I had 3BB in my condo before I moved to my present place and I have noticed a lot of pages being added to a growing list of blocked pages. I was going to include EZTV because there had been recent posts on that and when I checked I couldn't access it but I checked again now and no problems (just a glitch maybe). Anyway best of luck and glad to have been of help. As I say feel free if you need more info.thumbsup.gif

That it's good information... and off course that I can tongue.png really I have no problem with TOT only with the router Billion that block some webpages I think in relation with some bug with VPNs, but now I am using the Billion only as a modem/hub no dhcp/firewall/access point, I only setup the DMZ to my DD WRT Linksys router that have many complex/advanced configurations unsupported by other routers, so really I only need the adsl modem.

You can tell me the branch and the model of that prehistoric modem? curiosity only tongue.png

Hi ITGabs,

Using a DD-WRT router is a great solution however the way you describe your configuration doesn't sound correct. You said that you put the Billion in DMZ mode but it should be in bridge mode with the DD-WRT handling the ISP login. Where do you enter the ISP login/password? Is it in the Billion or the DD-WRT?

Hi ITGabs,

Using a DD-WRT router is a great solution however the way you describe your configuration doesn't sound correct. You said that you put the Billion in DMZ mode but it should be in bridge mode with the DD-WRT handling the ISP login. Where do you enter the ISP login/password? Is it in the Billion or the DD-WRT?

Hi Dork,

Sorry for the dalay I already answered this but seems that my ISP had a problem and I never post it really...

DMZ because the Billion do the logging into the ISP/PPP/ADSL

The Billion is connected to the Phone Line and have the internal ip 192.168.1.1 and work like a gateway

The Linksys with DD WRT is connected by cat5 from the Billion hub port 1 to the internet port in my Linksys.

I setup in the DD WRT like the image

post-160900-0-06082000-1346658598_thumb.

So the DMZ go to 192.168.1.2 internet (DD WRT) local in my internal network in 192.168.0.1 I am not sure what is the technical name of this configuration but this allow me to play with more internal network on my "Laptops Rack" smile.png with many VM machines and setup all the things only in the DD WRT (I work with replicas of servers enviroments for better debug/safe tests) so really the Billion is a pain in my setup, it's very buggy as the TOT network, I only need a convencional modem so I can connect the internet directly to the DD WRT

Hi again ITGabs,

Since you have mentioned that your TOT connection is unreliable, I think you should try putting the Billion in Bridge Mode to the DD-WRT because I am sure it will make a big improvement to the stability of your ADSL connection. I'm sure because I have both a TRUE and a TOT line at home and since I changed to this setup (DD-WRT Router/Bridged Modem) both connections are now completely stable. They never need rebooting which I was constantly doing in the past when using multi-function devices (Modem/Router/WiFi) where the chipset can easily be overwhelmed by doing too many functions under stress.

In Bridge Mode, the ADSL Modem only has to handle the DSL Modulation, nothing else. So it can always maintain a stable link to the local DSLAM.

The only difference in the DD-WRT configuration is in the WAN setup. Where you have "Static IP" in connection type, you would change that to PPPoE and enter your TOT account details.

post-50983-0-16206600-1346668723_thumb.p

Also I think that with your present configuration, it is doing "Double NAT" which would also introduce some latency.

Cheers,

PS. You can see in the top right of the screen shot that the router has been up for 16 days (probably that was the last power cut) and still going fine.

• Like 1

Hi again ITGabs,

Since you have mentioned that your TOT connection is unreliable, I think you should try putting the Billion in Bridge Mode to the DD-WRT because I am sure it will make a big improvement to the stability of your ADSL connection. I'm sure because I have both a TRUE and a TOT line at home and since I changed to this setup (DD-WRT Router/Bridged Modem) both connections are now completely stable. They never need rebooting which I was constantly doing in the past when using multi-function devices (Modem/Router/WiFi) where the chipset can easily be overwhelmed by doing too many functions under stress.

In Bridge Mode, the ADSL Modem only has to handle the DSL Modulation, nothing else. So it can always maintain a stable link to the local DSLAM.

The only difference in the DD-WRT configuration is in the WAN setup. Where you have "Static IP" in connection type, you would change that to PPPoE and enter your TOT account details.

post-50983-0-16206600-1346668723_thumb.p

Also I think that with your present configuration, it is doing "Double NAT" which would also introduce some latency.

Cheers,

PS. You can see in the top right of the screen shot that the router has been up for 16 days (probably that was the last power cut) and still going fine.

AWESOME TIP!!!! clap2.gif

I'm rebooting the Billion and DD WRT every two days aprox tryng to fix some problems in the connection, so I am testing your configuration from now thanks wai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just flashed my Netgear WNDR3700v2 router with DD-WRT and cannot get it working with the 3BB HUAWEI+SmartAX.

The wireless Netgear router is daisy chained on to the HUAWEI Smart AX router, it worked ok like this before I flashed the Netgear router.

I can't get internet WAN connectivity now. The only way I managed was to change WAN to disabled and WAN port to switch.

The 3BB has a defaul IP of 192.168.1.1 and I want the Netgear to be a DHCP 10.0.0.0/24 network for the LAN.

Please can anyone help before I flash the thing back to Netgear factory firmware!

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=6c7c3e271361.jpg

Just flashed my Netgear WNDR3700v2 router with DD-WRT and cannot get it working with the 3BB HUAWEI+SmartAX.

The wireless Netgear router is daisy chained on to the HUAWEI Smart AX router, it worked ok like this before I flashed the Netgear router.

I can't get internet WAN connectivity now. The only way I managed was to change WAN to disabled and WAN port to switch.

The 3BB has a defaul IP of 192.168.1.1 and I want the Netgear to be a DHCP 10.0.0.0/24 network for the LAN.

Please can anyone help before I flash the thing back to Netgear factory firmware!

http://www.4freeimag...c7c3e271361.jpg

Depends what you are trying to achieve. Looking at the screen shot of the DD-WRT setup, I guess you have the Huawei set up as router 1 and the Netgear as router 2. Unless you have some special requirement to have 2 routers this isn't the correct configuration because the Huawei is doing all the work (adsl sync and NAT) and then the Netgear is just doing NAT again. It will work - but less efficiently than if you just took the Netgear away.

If your purpose is simply to have a stable internet connection then the Huawei needs to be in bridge mode (only handling ADSL) and the Netgear functioning as the router (NAT,DHCP, SPI etc). In this configuration your ISP login details are entered into the DD-WRT WAN Setup page, not the Huawei. As follows;

1 - connect the Huawei to your PC and set mode to Bridge and the VPI/VCI to whatever your ISP uses (eg 1/32 or 0/100). Save and exit.

post-50983-0-19949400-1347852659_thumb.p

2 - Connect a cable from the WAN port on the Netgear to a LAN port on the Huawei.

3 - Now connect the Netgear to your PC and in Wan Setup under Connection type select "PPPOE" and enter your ISP login and password. Save and reboot.

post-50983-0-12896000-1347851717_thumb.p

That should be it. In the DD-WRT Status/Wan page you should see that you are connected to your ISP and have been assigned an IP address.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on. Cheers