Airline Passengers Flying Into Thailand To Get Fake-Goods Warning

webfact

So if you enter Thailand with let’s say, a fake Polo suitcase would the Thai customs dump all your stuff out on the customs inspections floor? Would they also keep all your personal clothing and things? I see fake or copies of name brand suitcases at the airport every time I am there. I can see a great business opportunity for someone to start selling large black trash bags for tourist to scoop up their belongings and egress the airport.cheesy.giflaugh.png

After years of complaints and international insults, such as from Lady Gaga the other day, this government is the first to have the balls to do something against fake branded articles. A committee of 20 people decided while returning from a study trip to London, Paris and Milan that the best way to handle the problem is to block the import of fake goods by foreigners! Brilliant.

I almost always struggle to understand Thai logic. I'm happy to say that this time I completely get it. Every fake that's brought into Thailand potentially represents one less fake sold here. Counterfeit items seem to be a pretty important industry, and probably one that helps line the pockets of certain people in positions of authority. At the same time, this policy sends a (superficial) message to the world that Thailand's supposedly doing something about its deserved reputation for being one of the best places to buy knock-offs. Brilliant -- two birds with one stone.

(Friends and family at home often ask me if I ever plan to leave Thailand, and I usually tell them it's not likely as I can't imaging finding a more entertaining government. Besides, Thailand is going to be the hub of everything some day.)

• Like 1

Beggars belief!!

Getting an in-flight warning not to bring fake goods into Thailand, can only presume that means 1 thing..

it's another ploy to stop "farangs" doing a Thai persons work !!!!

T.I.T

they could make manufacturing selling fake goods the 40th profession forbidden to foreigners under the Alien Business Law, i guess...

Ha!

People bring fake stuff INTO Thailand??????!

surely - also, i guess if there are any airline passengers wearing fake designer blouses, shirts, jeans, underwear, etc. - i guess they will have to do a striptease on the spot before entering thailand, right? cheesy.gif

I almost always struggle to understand Thai logic. I'm happy to say that this time I completely get it. Every fake that's brought into Thailand potentially represents one less fake sold here. Counterfeit items seem to be a pretty important industry, and probably one that helps line the pockets of certain people in positions of authority. At the same time, this policy sends a (superficial) message to the world that Thailand's supposedly doing something about its deserved reputation for being one of the best places to buy knock-offs. Brilliant -- two birds with one stone.

(Friends and family at home often ask me if I ever plan to leave Thailand, and I usually tell them it's not likely as I can't imaging finding a more entertaining government. Besides, Thailand is going to be the hub of everything some day.)

The Hub of (involuntary) Comedy cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifbiggrin.png

Think about how timely such an operation would be to implement, not to mention how would you train Thais to spot counterfeit goods when they have been using some form of counterfeit goods for their whole life (Clothes for example), so are they expecting to spend a couple of hours going through every passengers belongings to sort out the genuine from the fake.

Quite simply its not going to happen

"Miracle Year Of Thailand" says the TV adverts.........who came up with that? It doesnt even mean anything.

The way they behave and advertise they dont deserve the number of tourists they get who come despite the advertising not because of it!!!

so, let's say there are airline passenger wearing fake designer blouses, shirts, jeans, underwear, etc. - i guess they will have to do a striptease on the spot before entering thailand, right? cheesy.gif

just imagine 2customs officers stoping this bird,come along with us please you have a fake tan we have to ab-nam you.sad.png
  • Like 1

This makes some sense, contrary to popular belief most counterfiet stuff in Thailand is imported from other countries such as china.

The bottom line is that it's cheaper to buy copy goods from china than it is to try and make them here.

So it would make sense for them to protect their own counterfeit goods industry, from cheaper imports that could hurt local producers of fake goods. And remember imported fake goods don't have to place bribes in the pipeline than benefit certain influential persons.

It is clearly a strategy to prevent repeat tourism from the cheap charlies who buy fakes. Very cleverly thought out and typically Thai to solve the problem without confronting any poor Thais; just farang.

Edited by lubbkis

"Airline passengers flying into Thailand will soon receive on-board warnings against bringing counterfeit products into the Kingdom, otherwise they risk being fined and seeing their goods confiscated"

I have visions of Women with breast implants being stopped by Customs Officers and having their breasts seized! Bound to be a deflating experience.

Seriously, let me translate. What they are really saying is "We don't want you bringing in counterfeit goods in competition to the local industry, you must buy your counterfeit goods on Thailand"

A lot of the counterfeit goods on sale here are actually from China, not Thailand, and transported in by plane. This isn't about people flying from Europe or the US. So laugh it up but it is actually useful if it ends up being enforced and they start confiscating goods

Would someone really bring a suitcase of fake goods in from China to sell here? Wouldn't they bring them in by container? Or even over land borders. It would be much cheaper and easier with the volume.

Most uniformed post yet. The Asians are experts at bringing in goods, unreported at customs, of every kind of commodity you can thing of, including gold, to sell. They claim they are bringing in items for relatives, friends, or personal use and then sell them or use to get somebody interested in their goods. Come on people wake up. Most of the posts make fun of new requirements to curb use of illegal fake goods. Anything they can do is good for all countries. How many fake items have you or your friends bought and used in your life. If the answer is none, then you are a very honest person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1