Airline Passengers Flying Into Thailand To Get Fake-Goods Warning

webfact

So, if a buy some fake goods, T-shirts, Jeans, a wrist watch in TH bring it to my home country and at my next visit to TH bring it with me back,

I get fined, be stripped of it and I am in troubled water?

That is just crazy! rolleyes.gif

Actually a lot of Thais (and some farangs too) fly to Hong Kong/China and buy a lot of counterfeit items for dirt cheap. They fly in groups of 2 or 3 and each person fills 2 large suitcases full of stuff and flies back to Thailand to sell the stuff at markets or they sell to sellers. Happens more than you think. My wifes has friends who have done and still do this. A lot of counterfeit stuff in Thailand comes from HonkKong/China.

Edited by rhino533
  • Like 2

How can you tell if it’s a fake? if you can buy a Gucci handbag at a Thai street market for 150 Baht there is a good chance that it’s a fake.

But if you are thinking of smuggling a fake one into Thailand just remember you could end up eating maggots for nine years so be warned.

This article literally made me laugh out loud. With all the issues with tourists getting scammed the big boys are able to cobble together something that will warn inbound airline tourists about bringing in fake goods? laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png So the fake designer watch I bought on the streets of Pattaya is ok for me to take out of Thailand, but if I wear it back into Thailand there is a possibility, however slight, that I will be pulled to the side.

No jet ski warnings, no closed temple warnings, no dangerous surf warnings... Just hey! Don't bring fake goods into the country...

. Finally they understood the modern business-if they confiscate your faked goods you have to purchase it new...that's oscillating/sustainable busines
  • Like 1

Actually a lot of Thais (and some farangs too) fly to Hong Kong/China and buy a lot of counterfeit items for dirt cheap. They fly in groups of 2 or 3 and each person fills 2 large suitcases full of stuff and flies back to Thailand to sell the stuff at markets or they sell to sellers. Happens more than you think. My wifes has friends who have done and still do this. A lot of counterfeit stuff in Thailand comes from HonkKong/China.

Also from Cambodia. Just over the border at Aranyaprathet market ( Samsung Galaxy 1300bt) so I'm told?

jb1

So, if a buy some fake goods, T-shirts, Jeans, a wrist watch in TH bring it to my home country and at my next visit to TH bring it with me back,

You might want to make sure you keep your receipt.

A lot of the counterfeit goods on sale here are actually from China, not Thailand, and transported in by plane. This isn't about people flying from Europe or the US. So laugh it up but it is actually useful if it ends up being enforced and they start confiscating goods

Last summer in my part of southern Spain, as in previous years, there were loads of people selling fake CD's. The police harassed and arrested them (when they could catch them), all summer long.

This summer, I haven't seen anyone selling them.

Maybe it works?

I think someone left out the SATIRE.

Or maybe they are worried that Lady Gaga is planning to bring her fake Rolex's with her next time.

No, no, no. You misunderstood this completely! Lady Gaga will be engaged for a new TAT promotion clip to celebrate the new "Thailand of Shopping" campaignsmile.png

This policy is entirely consistent with Thailand's 51% ownership laws. Clearly if a fake is brought into Thailand then they cannot benefit from it. Come on people; you know how important it is that only Thai citizens benefit from "genuine reproductions"

Consistant that's a new one for Thailand

If they can do this, then why don't they give a a warning about the Jet Ski's

Very few tourists are actually bringing in a jet ski and scamming other tourists, so I guess the authorities don't see the need to warn against doing it.cheesy.gif

This is just a ploy to stop you bringing back the fake stuff you bought last time you were in Thailand. They want you to buy more new fake stuff. So don't come back wearing your fake Raybans and Gucci t-shirts and carrying your fake Benneton luggage, or they'll prosecute you. Just buy new ones when you get there and all will be good!

• Like 1

You might want to make sure you keep your receipt.

-Scott-

Sorry. I did not see the -Irony- Emoticon.

You get a receipt in TH, in the case of,

-you buy a fake watch, T-shirt, bag, Ray Ban sun-glasses, DVD-movie ect. with some street vendor?

Who give you the item,

he just brought to you from his hiding place around the corner.

And, hand it over to you in a plastic bag, under the table? rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

A lot of the counterfeit goods on sale here are actually from China, not Thailand, and transported in by plane. This isn't about people flying from Europe or the US. So laugh it up but it is actually useful if it ends up being enforced and they start confiscating goods

Last summer in my part of southern Spain, as in previous years, there were loads of people selling fake CD's. The police harassed and arrested them (when they could catch them), all summer long.

This summer, I haven't seen anyone selling them.

Maybe it works?

It looks like you are not long enough in Thailand or didn't come to Thailand enough times to understand how it works here...

I just wonder why nobody brings this to the attention of the PM.

The entire (local) economy heavenly relies on the selling of counterfeit. Knowing the money going around in this, why not make an official announcement and make

the country a hub for counterfeit ?

One more hub more or less wouldn't hurt, right ?

Wouldn't a warning against buying counterfeits in Thailand, and then taking them home to Farangland, be more relevant ? rolleyes.gif

Either way it's the stupidest policy ever enabled or the journalist completely misunderstood the entire story.

Take your pick.

woosh... that's a tricky one