Warning: Flash Floods To Hit Most Of Thailand On Sep 2-5

webfact

If this does happen the relevant authorities may better delaying their flood testing.

With the water for the tests already reserved downstreams from Chai Nat dam (according to MoSc. Plodprasop), it might be a good idea to let the tests be done as planned to avoid too much water stuck behind the Chai Nat dam ?ermm.gif

Yep, brings a whole new meaning to damned if you do, damned if you don't. (Dam ..... get it)

Whether there is a forthcoming flood or drought, one thing is guaranteed, the display of incompetence will be spectacular.

If this does happen the relevant authorities may better delaying their flood testing.

With the water for the tests already reserved downstreams from Chai Nat dam (according to MoSc. Plodprasop), it might be a good idea to let the tests be done as planned to avoid too much water stuck behind the Chai Nat dam ?ermm.gif

Yep, brings a whole new meaning to damned if you do, damned if you don't. (Dam ..... get it)

Whether there is a forthcoming flood or drought, one thing is guaranteed, the display of incompetence will be spectacular.

I do hope so, with my taxes I already paid for it ermm.gifsad.png

Where you got this map? All maps (wundergound etc... ) are all cut and not working on Thailand?

No rain for us the last couple of days and nothing showing on satellite in the North at present but it does look like something might be coming.

post-44431-0-14315200-1346408572_thumb.j

whistling.gif This warning is based upon the remains of some tropical storms that affected parts of China and North Korea last week and are now passing through Laos and may affect areas of northern Thailand over the weekend.

There may be thunderstirms and possibly some locally heavy rainstorms that may result in flash flooding locally in hilly areas of north-eastern and northern Thailand.

That's what the news article should have said....but as usual they made a hash of it.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thailand's flood prevention systems are designed to improve water management and thereby prevent the systemic flooding of the Nation's Heartland and cities including Bangkok. I think you'll find that no water management system can prevent localized flash flooding.

Are you kidding?

You obviously haven't heard of the plodprasop emergency brolly where entire communities link umbrellas to prevent the rain reaching terra firma, and pass it brolly by brolly to the ocean.

... he got the idea from Sparta

Thailand's flood prevention systems are designed to improve water management and thereby prevent the systemic flooding of the Nation's Heartland and cities including Bangkok. I think you'll find that no water management system can prevent localized flash flooding.

Are you kidding?

You obviously haven't heard of the plodprasop emergency brolly where entire communities link umbrellas to prevent the rain reaching terra firma, and pass it brolly by brolly to the ocean.

The tourist-umbrella factories of Bosang are currently gearing-up production, of their famous paper-umbrellas, in anticipation of a flood (or is that a flash-flood ?) of orders from further-South ! To be shipped on the new high-speed railway down to Bangkok. laugh.png

Edited by Ricardo

Isn't a flash flood an unexpected thing? Is it really a flash flood if somebody predicts it a week ahead of time?

Not if the monk who predicted it was high......laugh.png

Ubon Ratchathani and Sisaket will be safe. Or maybe not.

post-108180-0-49501500-1346467269_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

Crackdown on PMs who promised "no flooding this year", please! biggrin.png

Maybe we should have a crackdown on posters who keep churning out this ridiculous reference. Now you have opened the floodgates. I have no time for Barbie, but when she made her now infamous comment, she was referring to major flooding if the preparations were completed as "planned". No one can legislate for flashfloods which are the result of intense precipitation rates exceeding infiltration rates.

If enough water gets into BKK to overtop her burberry bootees, then fair enough she will have made a major blunder,,,,, and THEN she will be fair game.

Agree with everything you say. I wish some of these posters would get a brain and find something sensible to say in their posts.

Isn't a flash flood an unexpected thing? Is it really a flash flood if somebody predicts it a week ahead of time?

Not if the monk who predicted it was high......laugh.png

Ubon Ratchathani and Sisaket will be safe. Or maybe not.

post-146250-0-60616300-1346471388_thumb.

Rub a dub dub the PM's in a tub....hmmm, kinda crowded tub at that

...anyway...We humans should take a lesson from the weather

....we curse it, we scold it, we berate it, we criticise it and we do a

lot more things "negative" to it...But the weather continues to do as

it pleases, regardless of how we react to it. The weatther don't

really care what or how we feel about it. It's Welly & hip wader

season so have yer kit at the ready.

Edited by sunshine51

I am looking at the forecast and maps for the next 10 days in Chiang Mai and the heaviest rain is 3 MM in 1 day. hardly enough fo0r a flood considering it hasn't rained in the last 3 days.

See: Chiang Mai 10 day weather forecast, updated four times a day and shows the weather summary plus detailed sun, rain, snow (ha ha), wind and temperature. The weather forecast extends out to 10 days showing information for morning, afternoon and overnight.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Chiang-Mai/forecasts/latest

Cheers,

Randy

I am looking at the forecast and maps for the next 10 days in Chiang Mai and the heaviest rain is 3 MM in 1 day. hardly enough fo0r a flood considering it hasn't rained in the last 3 days.

See: Chiang Mai 10 day weather forecast, updated four times a day and shows the weather summary plus detailed sun, rain, snow (ha ha), wind and temperature. The weather forecast extends out to 10 days showing information for morning, afternoon and overnight.

http://www.weather-f...orecasts/latest

Cheers,

Randy

I guess I should also add this. Place Name km 1–3 Day Summary 4–6 Day Summary Lampang 81 km Heavy rain (total 80mm), heaviest during Sat night Moderate rain (total 17mm), heaviest on Tue afternoon Phitsanulok 260 km Heavy rain (total 22mm), heaviest during Mon night Heavy rain (total 52mm), heaviest during Wed night Toungoo 265 km Heavy rain (total 38mm), heaviest during Sun night Heavy rain (total 50mm), heaviest during Tue afternoon Thaton 270 km Heavy rain (total 116mm), heaviest during Sat night Heavy rain (total 185mm), heaviest during Wed night Mawlamyine 291 km Heavy rain (total 49mm), heaviest during Sat morning Heavy rain (total 141mm), heaviest during Wed night

Crackdown on PMs who promised "no flooding this year", please! biggrin.png

Maybe we should have a crackdown on posters who keep churning out this ridiculous reference. Now you have opened the floodgates. I have no time for Barbie, but when she made her now infamous comment, she was referring to major flooding if the preparations were completed as "planned". No one can legislate for flashfloods which are the result of intense precipitation rates exceeding infiltration rates.

If enough water gets into BKK to overtop her burberry bootees, then fair enough she will have made a major blunder,,,,, and THEN she will be fair game.

hehehe sorry just makeing states such as these she gets no slack, there is flooding somewhere

Yeh and as Jimmy Buffet said " It's 5 o'clock somewhere. " Edited by Ron19

We had a real belly washer today, and there's another angry cloud rumbling to the south right now.

But it had been quite a while since the last one.

Guess you are reporting on Canada, since your name is the only clue as to where one might get their belly washed...

my guess mukdahan "muk" indeed very grey here 30 km away from the "big haha" city

but waiting and counting on rain tonight

We had a real belly washer today, and there's another angry cloud rumbling to the south right now.

But it had been quite a while since the last one.

Guess you are reporting on Canada, since your name is the only clue as to where one might get their belly washed...

my guess mukdahan "muk" indeed very grey here 30 km away from the "big haha" city

but waiting and counting on rain tonight

20:33 nothin yet

Relax guys... the storm's supposed to hit between the 2nd & 5th, that's Sunday through Wednesday, so I won't be peering out my window just yet!biggrin.png

Let's see if this link works - it's a weather map of SouthEast Asia today: As you can see, there is a long low front stretching from the Philippines, across N. Thailand and right into India. I suspect that hot, wet air from that high in the Indian Ocean will start hitting that low and dumping lots of rain there within the next few days.

programs%5Cuploads%5Cmaps%5C2012-09-01_TopChart_13.jpg

Edited by otherstuff1957
  • Like 1