New System At C M Immigration

thaibeachlovers

You now have to enter by the door at the back of the room, and there is no longer a ticket machine. Instead, you have to q for the middle counter to get a number, where Thais will push in with impunity. If you protest, the clerk will just give a "Thai smile" and ignore you.

As for trying to find out anything, "information" seems to be rather lacking, and if you even manage to attract someone's attention to ask your question, good luck with getting an answer!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they will be pushing you out of the doors soon,there needs to be a drastic overhaul of that small office,no way is it geared up for the number of people that comes to apply for all and everything there,should have a big office like the licence authorities,in hang dong.i know lots of expats say its okay,no proplem,but over all its not really fit for purpose.

they will be pushing you out of the doors soon,there needs to be a drastic overhaul of that small office,no way is it geared up for the number of people that comes to apply for all and everything there,should have a big office like the licence authorities,in hang dong.i know lots of expats say its okay,no proplem,but over all its not really fit for purpose.

Yes it does

Whip round for a new ticket machine for them?

Well, it did break down the other morning when I was in there and they had to start hand writing ticket numbers after a few minutes of operation. I guess it has not been fixed. Must be on their ''to do'' list.

Edited by Dellboy218

Yeah went in for the 90 day at about 1.15, place was pretty deserted looking. Went to the counter where both staff were dealing with questions from the one person, finally just intereupted and asked about a number. She said for 90 day no number needed, just go to the counter. Went there, he took the passport straight away, did the usually tear off and I was out. Total time from in the gate where I could actually park to out about 5 minutes. Best run I've ever had.

Just one of those head scratching moments I guess but, why are Thais pushing in with impunity at immigration? whistling.gif

My guess is they are the visa agents.

The ones folks pay to do their immigration 90 day checks etc.

While I had my 1 year extension interview we were

interrupted 3 times at the desk by Thai guys with stacks of papers.

The lady officer interviewing us saw them & just had us wait while she

explained what else they needed to bring in,have signed etc.

Edited by mania

I live in Phayao. I have to go to Mae Sai for my 90 day reporting. Last time there were about 5 Thais ahead of me with many documents. I presumed that they were agents. I was called to the front of the line for my reporting before the Thai agents. Nothing but praise for the immigration staff at Chiang Rai immigration located in Mae Sai

Edit I thought that I would have had to wait my turn.

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

As mentioned in another thread, my 90 day report took 8 minutes this past Wednesday at 10 AM. I didn't see any kind of line with pushing anywhere and things looked fairly calm and organized. But I was only there for 8 minutes!smile.png

• Like 1

Got there yesterday (Friday) around 2:30 pm and found the side door locked with a sign in Thai about don't enter. I don't think it said anything about where to go, but I didn't get that far in figuring out the Thai before someone pointed me to the front door, near the coffee shop. They really should put a sign in English on the door if they're going to start locking it.

About 80% of the chairs in the waiting area were occupied.

Ticket machine was turned off, but they were showing numbers over the 90-day counter. When I was looking at the dark machine, someone waiting pointed to one of the CMU interns behind the counter and said see him. When I showed him the 90 day paperwork, he came out from behind the counter, plugged in the machine, got a queue ticket for me and the automated announcer voice promptly called that number. Strange. Why not just direct me to go straight to the 90 day counter?

Went to the 90 day counter , with just one officer staffing it. Handed him passports (Hubby's and mine) and TM 47 forms. He said "copies". I said "mee bar code laew" and pointed to the bar code on the inside back cover -- we were told we wouldn't need to bring copies again once that barcode sticker was placed in our passports. Turns out the bar code reader and computer were either broken or simply turned off. But, he started to process our 90 day reports and I figured he was going to ask me to get copies after he was done. Nope, he simply said "bring copy next time". Again, rather strange. Why did he fuss at me about not having copies and then go ahead and process the reports without the copies?

Total time in Immigration -- less than 10 minutes. I barely had time to chat with the people I know who were waiting and to enjoy what I call "the happiest place in Chiang Mai!" I wasn't there long enough to see at least one human drama unfold. I feel cheated.

Edited by NancyL

Got there yesterday (Friday) around 2:30 pm and found the side door locked with a sign in Thai about don't enter. I don't think it said anything about where to go, but I didn't get that far in figuring out the Thai before someone pointed me to the front door, near the coffee shop. They really should put a sign in English on the door if they're going to start locking it.

Ticket machine was turned off, but they were showing numbers over the 90-day counter. When I was looking at the dark machine, someone waiting pointed to one of the CMU interns behind the counter and said see him. When I showed him the 90 day paperwork, he came out from behind the counter, plugged in the machine, got a queue ticket for me and the automated announcer voice promptly called that number. Strange. Why not just direct me to go straight to the 90 day counter?

Went to the 90 day counter , with just one officer staffing it. Handed him passports (Hubby's and mine) and TM 47 forms. He said "copies". I said "mee bar code laew" and pointed to the bar code on the inside back cover -- we were told we wouldn't need to bring copies again once that barcode sticker was placed in our passports. Turns out the bar code reader and computer were either broken or simply turned off. But, he started to process our 90 day reports and I figured he was going to ask me to get copies after he was done. Nope, he simply said "bring copy next time". Again, rather strange. Why did he fuss at me about not having copies and then go ahead and process the reports without the copies?

Total time in Immigration -- less than 10 minutes. I barely had time to chat with the people I know who were waiting and to enjoy what I call "the happiest place in Chiang Mai!" I wasn't there long enough to see at least one human drama unfold. I feel cheated.

The lack of drama could be construed as drama itself from an existentialist point of view. smile.png

10th retirement visa renewal coming up on Thursday. Is that the cotton anniversary?

Thanks for the information, Nancy. Have to go on Tuesday. Last time (first using barcode) they specificlly said I didn't need copies. Now we do again. I was hoping for at least two 90 day in a row with just barcode!

Edited by Lifer

Yeah went in for the 90 day at about 1.15, place was pretty deserted looking. Went to the counter where both staff were dealing with questions from the one person, finally just intereupted and asked about a number. She said for 90 day no number needed, just go to the counter. Went there, he took the passport straight away, did the usually tear off and I was out. Total time from in the gate where I could actually park to out about 5 minutes. Best run I've ever had.

Been there a few time over the years and on last visit needed a immi res cert for my new DL and alway take wife and her mate/s and do agree that the Thais do tend to be rather "accertive"...suppose attitude.. its their country.(no mention of her UK PP?)

On the other hand suits me...yes I know... and we are usually in and out with whatever we need in 10 minutes.

We also keep a full file on all the required docs that we might need and fill in before visit...eg: TM 7-8-47-86 etc with Bank certs-Copies-PP app plus others/anything they LOVE bits of duplicated paperwork,pictures,signed verifications..the lot..

Also find certain times are obviously worse than other especially Monday mornings and if car park full can usually get a space next door at Ministry of ..forget ...think Avation....its all MPRai

Nope, he simply said "bring copy next time". Again, rather strange. Why did he fuss at me about not having copies and then go ahead and process the reports without the copies?

I've had this "next time do this" more than once at Immigration as have friends of mine. It's always about something that was done correctly to begin with. I think they want the situation to look like the foreigner has once again made a mistake and Immigration is doing them a favor by letting them off. One of these saving face things...they try to make it look like you have lost face so therefore they have gained it.

The first time they told me "Next time make sure bank signs letter" when the bank had signed it THIS time. I foolishly pointed to the signature and the lady repeated her statement. Now I just look at them like an empty-headed fool, smile and say "OK!"

Edited by mesquite

Nope, he simply said "bring copy next time". Again, rather strange. Why did he fuss at me about not having copies and then go ahead and process the reports without the copies?

I've had this "next time do this" more than once at Immigration as have friends of mine. It's always about something that was done correctly to begin with. I think they want the situation to look like the foreigner has once again made a mistake and Immigration is doing them a favor by letting them off. One of these saving face things...they try to make it look like you have lost face so therefore they have gained it.

The first time they told me "Next time make sure bank signs letter" when the bank had signed it THIS time. I foolishly pointed to the signature and the lady repeated her statement. Now I just look at them like an empty-headed fool, smile and say "OK!"

Smile and nod - also often a good approach when dealing with wives or women in general! tongue.png

I never was able to determine if the bar code reader was simply broken (and they plan to fix it), turned off because only one person was behind the counter or totally abandoned, never to be used again. The bar code scanner and the attached computer were at the work station next to the lone Immigration officer doing 90 day reports on Friday afternoon, but the computer screen was dark. I tried to ask a few questions, but my stunning command of Thai verb tenses (they do have them you know) failed to produce a clear response.

Now I just look at them like an empty-headed fool, smile and say "OK!"

In my experience it is not unique to Thailand.

Had to deal with various government workers most of my life

due to my work. This method you mention has pretty much been the standard

technique smile.png

I have always thought that most government workers enjoy the feeling

of power their job provides. So like to stretch it a bit.

But I have also met many that were very pleasant to work with

both here & in my country of origin. For example the woman that pre-checks your papers to

get a license in Chiangmai was a real sweetheart.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I hate loath and detest CM Immigration.

As the Poorest Frang in CM I find it worth my Peace of mind to pay Thai Visa Assit to do my 90 day and Yearly Non Immigration runs for me.

john

Poor John.

I recently checked with them & others.

The 4x90day deal sounds like a good deal.

May I ask what is the charge for the yearly renewal?

The lady I spoke with said she would have to call me back & never did.