Farang Giving Up All To Come And Live In Pattaya

irishlad

I don't have a grey hair yet at 53.

Nothing to do with lifestyle choices and keeping fit / healthy.

I'm a baldy - and I started going thin up top in my 20's, as did my father, and his father, and my mum's father, as did both of my brothers etc etc.

Edited by londoedan

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the dangers is that you sit back and count your money before you make a big move, and you find that it's never enough.

that's why we get all these threads about if a poster has enough money? answer: it's never enough.

if you have a cushion and want to move you need to take the plunge, otherwise days turn into years, things change, and it does not happen.

so you go on vacation as a test, extend it longer, and slowly burn your bridges back home as you go, that's the way to find out if you have enough money.

if you get a girlfriend all your expenses automatically double because your paying twice for everything when you are with her. that's where many people go wrong.

Unless your girlfriend has a job and contributes to the household.

sent from my Android phone

• Like 2

I'm a baldy - and I started going thin up top in my 20's, as did my father, and his father, and my mum's father, as did both of my brothers etc etc.

I'm a redhead

no hair, just a red head.........

I'm a redhead

Don't give up your day job.

I'm a redhead

Don't give up your day job.

i did.

i was in a comedy duo in Uk

i was Phil Goode and my mate was Bill Norfolk

we were known as Norfolk & Goode.......

• Like 1

one of the dangers is that you sit back and count your money before you make a big move, and you find that it's never enough.

that's why we get all these threads about if a poster has enough money? answer: it's never enough.

if you have a cushion and want to move you need to take the plunge, otherwise days turn into years, things change, and it does not happen.

so you go on vacation as a test, extend it longer, and slowly burn your bridges back home as you go, that's the way to find out if you have enough money.

if you get a girlfriend all your expenses automatically double because your paying twice for everything when you are with her. that's where many people go wrong.

Unless your girlfriend has a job and contributes to the household.

Thai banks have a lot of good deals right not on new construction. 100% loans. So you can get a house no money down and just make the payments. It is just like paying rent except the women has a reason to keep you around that is sound.

You see it is like this. I have a friend who is building his wife a house. He is paying for it. He also fools around. I know him and the wife. As soon as the house is built he is in deep do do as his wife knows about his fooling around. If he was making payments his wife would keep him around as she cannot afford to make the payments herself. See what I am saying?

Just because one comes to Thailand one does not have to become a dummy.

• Like 1

I'm not bald - yes, that's hereditary.

Ahemmm

dam_n Raro, i was just getting started.......

Dear timekeeper,

In the morning first a coffee,than a hearty English breakfast and only then the Chang. Not the other way around

:P

The question you pose is like asking someone to write an essay on the history of the world.

To make a start:

• Be cautious.
  • Be careful.
  • Think twice and cut once.
  • Read as much as can written by people who have already done it.
  • Try to integrate and mix with people but not just your own kind but don't try to rush the process.
  • Remember that if people do things you don't approve of, it's their country, not yours!
  • Be aware that human nature is very much the same wherever you go but that a lot of strange people migrate to the seaside.
  • Steer well clear of politics,religion and anything illegal.
  • Be kind,friendly and helpful whenever you can.
  • Don't treat people like commodities but expect them to treat you as uniquely human and special.

• Like 1

The question you pose is like asking someone to write an essay on the history of the world.

To make a start:

• Be cautious.
  • Be careful.
  • Try to integrate and mix with people but not just your own kind but don't try to rush the process.
  • Remember that if people do things you don't approve of, it's their country, not yours!
  • Be aware that human nature is very much the same wherever you go but that a lot of strange people migrate to the seaside.
  • Don't treat people like commodities but expect them to treat you as uniquely human and special.

I like this one: Be kind,friendly and helpful whenever you can.

But not sure about this one: but that a lot of strange people migrate to the seaside blink.png

Any further thoughts to back-up the second point, oh wise one ?

To make a start:

• Be cautious.
  • Be careful.

But not sure about this one: but that a lot of strange people migrate to the seaside blink.png

Firstly, I need to extend my expressed opinion to include tourist resorts generally,rather than just the seaside.For example I feel the same way about LA. I can't provide evidence to substantiate my view. It's simply a view arising out of a number of threads of experience and my instinct for what seems right and what doesn't.

In Pattaya I have noticed people who walk around talking to themselves, a significant number of people who dress in a strange and eccentric way and people who brag in restaurants and ensure others can overhear them. This of course is their prerogative and it may be that they are perfectly OK. In order not to strike the correct balance in my comment I have also met a number of very pleasant,amusing and interesting people in Pattaya.

I have met people here with curiously eccentric and aristocratic names that you would find it hard to believe they were born with and people who have tried to get me to invest in unmissable opportunities that I have had the good sense to pass up in the past. Sometimes Pattaya has that " wild west" feel about it.

I recognize that I am prejudiced but then I am also justifiably prejudiced about a number of things including emails from people in Nigeria who I don't know !

It's my feeling that these characteristics of behavior are less prevalent in mainstream residential and business areas of towns and cities anywhere.

To make a start:

• Be cautious.
  • Be careful.

Firstly, I need to extend my expressed opinion to include tourist resorts generally,rather than just the seaside.For example I feel the same way about LA. I can't provide evidence to substantiate my view. It's simply a view arising out of a number of threads of experience and my instinct for what seems right and what doesn't.

In Pattaya I have noticed people who walk around talking to themselves, a significant number of people who dress in a strange and eccentric way and people who brag in restaurants and ensure others can overhear them. This of course is their prerogative and it may be that they are perfectly OK. In order not to strike the correct balance in my comment I have also met a number of very pleasant,amusing and interesting people in Pattaya.

I have met people here with curiously eccentric and aristocratic names that you would find it hard to believe they were born with and people who have tried to get me to invest in unmissable opportunities that I have had the good sense to pass up in the past. Sometimes Pattaya has that " wild west" feel about it.

I recognize that I am prejudiced but then I am also justifiably prejudiced about a number of things including emails from people in Nigeria who I don't know !

It's my feeling that these characteristics of behavior are less prevalent in mainstream residential and business areas of towns and cities anywhere.

The biggest two con cities in the world are NY and London. Check how much our taxes paid to bail them out a few years ago. Pattaya! Gimme a break. Lehman bros Pattaya? In the LIBOR fraud I think the L stands for London not Pattaya or LA.

To make a start:

• Be cautious.
  • Be careful.

The biggest two con cities in the world are NY and London. Check how much our taxes paid to bail them out a few years ago. Pattaya! Gimme a break. Lehman bros Pattaya? In the LIBOR fraud I think the L stands for London not Pattaya or LA.

"Pattaya! Gimme a break" What advice would you give? Throw caution to the wind and trust everyone? You're as safe as houses here

• 3 weeks later...

Have a month of doing everything in excess get it out of your system, then set yourself a budget enjoy yourself for the following 4/5 months then make a decision as to if you really want too/can afford to stay.

Of course you can kiss all this advise 'good bye' if you meet a

normal decent lass

Good luck.

May I ask why you are 48 and still single?

I suppose he just got lucky

THANKS everyone.

I get the general jist !!

Anyhow I arrive October 15 and defo looking to meet some or all of you for beers !!

THANKS

Get yourself a triple entry tourist Visa, this will take care of the first 9 months approx. i returned home (to Ireland) recently after a 2 year stint in Thailand. Have fun, Use your time to have a look around, rent a month at a time in different areas until you find a spot you want to stay in. Stay out of Pattaya itself. It's ok for a while but gets wearisome very quickly, Try Jomtien or Naklua or something. a lot quieter, but close enough to the madness for when you want to travel in

If you truly are thinking about retirement then first look at your finances.

I think at your age you are looking at min 30 million baht in savings and investments to guarantee a good retirement income preferably around 40 million.

Even with that amount you will have to be prudent as 10 years down the track you could be in financial distress.

Then you have to decide what you are going to do with your time.

You say you are a lad which means to mean that you probably like drinking.

If this is the case then you will be well and truly stuffed in Pattaya if you cant control your drinking habits. Too many temptations really.

Anyway you are not really taking any risks coming for a few months because you have no family commitments and you can easily get a job back in Europe if you are a contractor so really nothing much to lose.

Why limit yourself to Pattaya travel around the world and enjoy yourself in many different places.

That is what i would do in your situation.

Please ignore this nonsense.You can live on 30.000 baht a month, including going out on gogo whenever,as long as you don't give away your money.So under assumption you are 48 and pension kicks in at 65,that is 30.000*12month*17years = 6.12 million baht

I think on 30K a month you might well be able to visit a few go-go's a month, but you won't be drinking much and I doubt you'll be having many takeaways either sad.png .

Living on 30K is possible, but you won't be partying often IMHO. Might be OK if you fancy a quite life.

Yes, that means no giving away ladydrinks, no barfine, no paying for sex, or otherwisewasting money.It also means hitting the gogo's at happy hour.But it is possible to go out and drink at gogo several times per week

Isn't that a bit like looking in the candy shop window but can't afford to go in and buy any. I think i'd rather not bother going in the first place.

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the nightlife if you're income is lousy. Just means you spend less. Drink cheap whiskey in your room instead of at the bar. Coconut girls instead of gogo girls. Etc..

My most enjoyable moments here were when I was spending the least.

" Drink cheap whiskey in your room instead of at the bar " What an awful way to live but if that's your thing ...

My candy is spelled beer BEER, and a bunch of naked woman to watch,

especially after i found out the other candy is infested with gonorrhea

Many people in Pattaya seem to wrap their life around BEER. Even to the extent of finding the cheapest bars to save 1 baht. Personally i'd go home if it got to that. Did you seek out all the cheapest places when you lived in your home country. As far as catching Gonorrhea. Don't be silly and cover your willy

Personally i rank the cheap beer as on the top 10 list of reasons to be here.

The hot climate in unquestionable the No.1 reason tho,

but if you think about it, a cool beer is a perfect mate to the hot climate.

And no, i rather skip it altogether if i need rubber

Edited by poanoi

I wont invest in a girlie bar, but defo up to meet a "normal decent lass" one who works in a 7/11 or a bank....that would be nice. being in Munich for many years living like stag is not normal.

Why oh why do people think some girls in banks 7/11 etc r any different to bar girls .

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Isn't that a bit like looking in the candy shop window but can't afford to go in and buy any. I think i'd rather not bother going in the first place.

I think that a lot of us in Pattaya are trying to find the middle ground - i.e. you don't want to be scraping around on a very limited income (say below 25-30K a month) but then we don't have the means to live the whole year as if we are on a 2 week holiday and throwing money around.

For my part, I think you can have a lot of fun, enjoy all that Pattaya has to offer and still see some change from a 70-75K monthly allowance (but you can't go to Baccara and What's Up every night).

I think that a lot of us in Pattaya are trying to find the middle ground - i.e. you don't want to be scraping around on a very limited income (say below 25-30K a month) but then we don't have the means to live the whole year as if we are on a 2 week holiday and throwing money around.

For my part, I think you can have a lot of fun, enjoy all that Pattaya has to offer and still see some change from a 70-75K monthly allowance (but you can't go to Baccara and What's Up every night).

I'd agree with that amount ,you can get somewhere decent to live , eat well and there's enough left over to enjoy oneself on that figure. Yes there are many farangs living in Pattaya on a shoestring budget. If their happy fine but living in a single room sat on a bed drinking cheap whiskey is not for me. Pattaya isn't even cheap anymore. It's very easy to spend the same as you would living at home , sometimes even more. Most farangs will say they're well happy with life in Pattaya. In reality that's probably not true.

I'd agree with that amount ,you can get somewhere decent to live , eat well and there's enough left over to enjoy oneself on that figure. Yes there are many farangs living in Pattaya on a shoestring budget. If their happy fine but living in a single room sat on a bed drinking cheap whiskey is not for me. Pattaya isn't even cheap anymore. It's very easy to spend the same as you would living at home , sometimes even more. Most farangs will say they're well happy with life in Pattaya. In reality that's probably not true.

I find it a bit sad how many people that live in Pattaya do drink at home. Sometimes it's not possible to go near the rubbish bin in my condo due to the amount of Thai Whiskey bootles and beer cans and bottles burp.gif