Farang Giving Up All To Come And Live In Pattaya

irishlad

Isn't that a bit like looking in the candy shop window but can't afford to go in and buy any. I think i'd rather not bother going in the first place.

I think that a lot of us in Pattaya are trying to find the middle ground - i.e. you don't want to be scraping around on a very limited income (say below 25-30K a month) but then we don't have the means to live the whole year as if we are on a 2 week holiday and throwing money around.

For my part, I think you can have a lot of fun, enjoy all that Pattaya has to offer and still see some change from a 70-75K monthly allowance (but you can't go to Baccara and What's Up every night).

I'd agree with that amount ,you can get somewhere decent to live , eat well and there's enough left over to enjoy oneself on that figure. Yes there are many farangs living in Pattaya on a shoestring budget. If their happy fine but living in a single room sat on a bed drinking cheap whiskey is not for me. Pattaya isn't even cheap anymore. It's very easy to spend the same as you would living at home , sometimes even more. Most farangs will say they're well happy with life in Pattaya. In reality that's probably not true.

I find it a bit sad how many people that live in Pattaya do drink at home. Sometimes it's not possible to go near the rubbish bin in my condo due to the amount of Thai Whiskey bootles and beer cans and bottles burp.gif

Guys drinking to excess their own rooms to save the price of that drink at a bar are probably at the stage when it's time to call it a day. If you're in this situation you're kidding yourself you can afford to stay here. Or maybe you just have a problem you're aware of but haven't decided to deal with it yet.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that a bit like looking in the candy shop window but can't afford to go in and buy any. I think i'd rather not bother going in the first place.

I think that a lot of us in Pattaya are trying to find the middle ground - i.e. you don't want to be scraping around on a very limited income (say below 25-30K a month) but then we don't have the means to live the whole year as if we are on a 2 week holiday and throwing money around.

For my part, I think you can have a lot of fun, enjoy all that Pattaya has to offer and still see some change from a 70-75K monthly allowance (but you can't go to Baccara and What's Up every night).

I'd agree with that amount ,you can get somewhere decent to live , eat well and there's enough left over to enjoy oneself on that figure. Yes there are many farangs living in Pattaya on a shoestring budget. If their happy fine but living in a single room sat on a bed drinking cheap whiskey is not for me. Pattaya isn't even cheap anymore. It's very easy to spend the same as you would living at home , sometimes even more. Most farangs will say they're well happy with life in Pattaya. In reality that's probably not true.

I find it a bit sad how many people that live in Pattaya do drink at home. Sometimes it's not possible to go near the rubbish bin in my condo due to the amount of Thai Whiskey bootles and beer cans and bottles burp.gif

You haven't thought very deeply into the matter.

Many of those living here for years are pretty much bored of Pattaya nightlife except for the occasional excursion. We've done it all and we've done it as good as it'll ever be done.

Meanwhile at home we've got some of the best whiskey (which you can't find in a bar) and can mix a better drink than can a local a bartender. Not to mention a humidor with fine cigars. And we may have fine lady there ("why go out for hamburger when you've got steak at home?"), or a family, or just an outstanding collection of music (among which there's no "Hotel California") & videos, or any number of satisfying hobbies. Many of us prefer to eat at home for health reasons if no other. It's easy to Skype your best friends back in Old Blighty or wherever.

I could go on, but you get the idea. You can live well here on a relatively small budget w/o needing to go out often, a false measure.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

You haven't thought very deeply into the matter.

Many of those living here for years are pretty much bored of Pattaya nightlife except for the occasional excursion. We've done it all and we've done it as good as it'll ever be done.

Agree with your first point, I'm only referring to some of the guys in my condo building - didn't mean to generalise.

Not sure about the 2nd. I've lived in SE Asia for 17 years, and I had a night out last week that was as good a laugh as I've ever had in this neck of the woods. thumbsup.gif

I for one wouldn't want to swap a night out in the bars / go-go's for drinking at home. But, each to their own.

My candy is spelled beer BEER, and a bunch of naked woman to watch,

especially after i found out the other candy is infested with gonorrhea

Many people in Pattaya seem to wrap their life around BEER. Even to the extent of finding the cheapest bars to save 1 baht. Personally i'd go home if it got to that. Did you seek out all the cheapest places when you lived in your home country. As far as catching Gonorrhea. Don't be silly and cover your willy

Yep that's true that is. Unbelievable the extent some people will go to to save a few baht on a beer. It's the same bunch you get to see regularly when you live here. You know the ones that people watch all day almost as if asleep or dead, dribbling from the side of the mouth and staring aimlessly out into the soi clinging onto their prized possession, a large bottle of Change, to the last the afternoon.

Edited by MRTELLYOUSTRAIGHT
  • Like 2

Many people in Pattaya seem to wrap their life around BEER. Even to the extent of finding the cheapest bars to save 1 baht. Personally i'd go home if it got to that. Did you seek out all the cheapest places when you lived in your home country. As far as catching Gonorrhea. Don't be silly and cover your willy

Yep that's true that is. Unbelievable the extent some people will go to to save a few baht on a beer. It's the same bunch you get to see regularly when you live here. You know the ones that people watch all day almost as if asleep or dead, dribbling from the side of the mouth and staring aimlessly out into the soi clinging onto their prized possession, a large bottle of Change, to the last the afternoon.

Last year a couple of guys from London i know came out to Pattaya for 2 months. Both in their early 30s. I go to Pattaya about every 6 weeks for 3-4 days at a time. We met up in my hotel at 12 noon on my first day. Was taken straight to some shitty little beer bar half way down Soi 7. It's the afternoon so obviously there's no women there. Well a few but you wouldn't trust me. Reason for being there " the Chang was the cheapest in town ". I had to laugh as more farangs arrived. By 1.00pm there's a crowd. A proper winos gathering. After several beers we walk onto Beach Rd , turn left and walk down to some other block of more shitty beer bars. This is the second cheapest place in town. Admittedly there is more ladies but you'd be ashamed at reception. Stayed for 2 more beers , made my excuses and pissed off to Champagne. I did have to pay more for the beer but it was well worth it. Next day i'm invited to meet up in Soi 7 at the same bar. Pityful excuses got me out of the nightmare but the worrying thing is to these guys it's fantastic life. Each to their own i guess.

• Like 1

Last year a couple of guys from London i know came out to Pattaya for 2 months. Both in their early 30s. I go to Pattaya about every 6 weeks for 3-4 days at a time. We met up in my hotel at 12 noon on my first day. Was taken straight to some shitty little beer bar half way down Soi 7. It's the afternoon so obviously there's no women there. Well a few but you wouldn't trust me. Reason for being there " the Chang was the cheapest in town ". I had to laugh as more farangs arrived. By 1.00pm there's a crowd. A proper winos gathering. After several beers we walk onto Beach Rd , turn left and walk down to some other block of more shitty beer bars. This is the second cheapest place in town. Admittedly there is more ladies but you'd be ashamed at reception. Stayed for 2 more beers , made my excuses and pissed off to Champagne. I did have to pay more for the beer but it was well worth it. Next day i'm invited to meet up in Soi 7 at the same bar. Pityful excuses got me out of the nightmare but the worrying thing is to these guys it's fantastic life. Each to their own i guess.

Nice story, and you're dead right - the price of beer, and all other drinks, is directly proportional to the attractiveness of the waiting staff (there must be a graph of this relationship somwhere).

Last week I paid 40 THB for a Chang at one of the bars in Pattaya New Plaza (the cheapest place in town I think) and then a couple of days later paid 180 for the same at Deja Vu in SC. Both were enjoyable drinks as it happens.

There maybe exceptions to this rule, but they are few and far between in my experience, perhaps Oasis on SB (happy hour), or the Aussie bar on Soi 7 (evening drinking). MN on Soi 4 in BKK is pretty good during happy hour.

Edited by londoedan

i think its a shame when some have got to walk round looking for happy hours and looking for partys to go into that bar and get something to eat free, and ive seen this happen, i must admit a fair few years ago, but i dont think it will of changed much,

but each to there own as many others have said,

if your happy with your life go with it,

jake

Champagne used to have the best shepherds pie in Pattaya free every Sunday. I didn't go because it was free I went because it was the best in Pattaya. Don't know if they still do it. Off hand I don't see much wrong with free food and cheap beer. The only thing I miss about the army. We got free food, booze and cigarettes.

^^^^^ Excellent post, sums up to a tee the "quality tourists" "Miracle Year" is striving to attract.

In situations like that I adopt the Johnny Walker approach, keep on walking.

I seldom go out drinking now. Believe it or not it became boring after awhile. I got bored of going to bars and gogos after the 2nd year living here. I still go but it's not very often. I also don't drink much because I tend to binge drink and it's not good for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Arrived and settled into a condo in Phratmnak Road area, doing a few bars and go-gos but taking it handy to begin with.....general concensous here now is property crashing down, prices going up due to weak euro.....I think pattya heydays may be consigned to history?

Arrived and settled into a condo in Phratmnak Road area, doing a few bars and go-gos but taking it handy to begin with.....general concensous here now is property crashing down, prices going up due to weak euro.....I think pattya heydays may be consigned to history?

You've only just arrived and you've formed the opinion that Pattaya's best days are behind it ?blink.png

Don't think so, the best days are still to come thumbsup.gif (but I'm not so sure about Euroland and the UK sad.png ).

Some tips.

* Don't take what people say in bars as gospel.

* Do try to learn a little Thai langauge

* Do be calm at all times with Thai people (there will be some bull in china shop moments)

* Don't stay with a bargirl for more than 24 hours.

* Do you need a girlfriend? If you want a girlfriend make sure she has a job. (and that you are not that job)

* Do spend carefully but don't worry about money. I came here 12 years ago with 500 quid in my back pocket.

* Do travel. Do not restrict yourself to Pattaya. Travel alone. Meet new people.

* Don't eat the dried squid

* Do smile at all times.

Been here ten days and got it all sussed out. Even time for a 'general consensus'.

For succinct and clear answers address all Pattaya question to our new Pattaya expert.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

If you have been dining on tinned cat food all your life, you might find your first Big Mac a delicacy.

i find it sad that many people who live in Pattaya (or elsewhere) do drink at bars and not at home where it's much more comfortable. i find it even "sadder" that many people live in condos tongue.png

• Like 1

i find it even "sadder" that many people live in condos tongue.png

Why?

Because he's willy-waving showing off, as usual.

Personally my sympathies lie with those who think they own Thai houses that are, in fact, in someone else's name, and those who live in houses with no sea view (that would be pretty well all of them in this area). I like a nice panoramic sea view to enjoy from my nice armchair whilst I'm drinking my nice cheap beer in comfort.

• Like 1

Why?

Would you say that about condo dwellers in Manhattan or Hong Kong?

yes, i would even though Manhattan condos are for sure built better than condos in Hong Kong or Thailand as far as noise pollution is concerned. during the construction period of our home we stayed for a year in a 19th floor penthouse (Jomtien). even up there the noise 24/7 was unbearable. i'm not talking about traffic noise but the noise caused by tenants within the building.

Edited by Naam

Why?

yes, i would.

OK. Fair enough that is your opinion. It's called urban living and has lots of advantages. Many of us condo dwellers CHOOSE condos as our top preference. In Thailand, we have the ownership advantage, but personally I'd go with a condo here or in any city. Yes I am sure there are many sad people living in condos everywhere, just as there are many sad people living in suburban mini-mansions. I met get your opinion more if you said TINY condos, as I doubt that is the top choice of many. Edited by Jingthing

Why?

yes, i would.

OK. Fair enough that is your opinion. It's called urban living and has lots of advantages. Many of us condo dwellers CHOOSE condos as our top preference. In Thailand, we have the ownership advantage, but personally I'd go with a condo here or in any city. Yes I am sure there are many sad people living in condos everywhere, just as there are many sad people living in suburban mini-mansions. I met get your opinion more if you said TINY condos, as I doubt that is the top choice of many.

but if sad people in urban mini-mansions are drilling holes in their walls, hack out tiles to replace them or slam doors will not disturb other (perhaps not so sad) people in the next door mini-mansion. noise pollution does not discern between big and tiny condos.

I get it now. You really don't like to live in multiple unit residences and you have a low tolerance for noise. Many people do enjoy living in condos. There are pros and cons to different housing choices and the decisions people make are personal. Nothing to do with sad or not sad really.

I get it now. You really don't like to live in multiple unit residences and you have a low tolerance for noise. Many people do enjoy living in condos. There are pros and cons to different housing choices and the decisions people make are personal. Nothing to do with sad or not sad really.

i have a very low tolerance for any intrusion which interferes with the way i conduct my daily life. that's why i live since nearly 23 years a rather withdrawn life in a quiet moo baan. if people are happy and not forced to accept certain living conditions (which i abhor) then of course the adjective "sad" does not apply.

i have a very low tolerance for any intrusion which interferes with the way i conduct my daily life. that's why i live since nearly 23 years a rather withdrawn life in a quiet moo baan. if people are happy and not forced to accept certain living conditions (which i abhor) then of course the adjective "sad" does not apply.

When I was a kid I worked in a stamping plant and I got used to sleeping next to a bumper press. I think it weighted ten ton and the ground shook a bit every time a bumper was stamped. Then I got drafted and learned to sleep with gunfire going off all night long. After that I raced sailboats and learned to sleep with ice cold water dripping down my back. You sound like a spoiled brat to me. But, hey it's your money. I think it's sad but I'd never say that. Ooops sorry I did.rolleyes.gif

Definitely not a bad idea to learn Thai if you intend to live here. I tried, but just don't have the patience for it smile.png

The other that put me off too was that most Thais laugh at you when you start speaking Thai.

Really, I have not found that to be true! When I first started learning Thai I found most Thai people were impressed that I was taking the time to try to speak their language. Sometimes I made, and still make mistakes and say something funny by accident, and then, of course, they are going to laugh - and so do I! Don't be too shy with speaking to people.

I suggest the OP go to a recognised language school to get the ED visa. As stated before they are great visa to get, as it does not require travel out of the country. Shop around various schools to get prices and compare their teaching materials and teacher. I go to Pro Language and have been with them nearly 3 years, so I can recommend that school. But there are few other schools you can check out.

Don't rush into anything, as you don't want to waste your money. This visa will be useful to you to stay in Thailand, and also aid you to speak, read and write the language, which is interesting and fun.

Definitely not a bad idea to learn Thai if you intend to live here. I tried, but just don't have the patience for it smile.png

The other that put me off too was that most Thais laugh at you when you start speaking Thai.

Really, I have not found that to be true! When I first started learning Thai I found most Thai people were impressed that I was taking the time to try to speak their language. Sometimes I made, and still make mistakes and say something funny by accident, and then, of course, they are going to laugh - and so do I! Don't be too shy with speaking to people.

I suggest the OP go to a recognised language school to get the ED visa. As stated before they are great visa to get, as it does not require travel out of the country. Shop around various schools to get prices and compare their teaching materials and teacher. I go to Pro Language and have been with them nearly 3 years, so I can recommend that school. But there are few other schools you can check out.

Don't rush into anything, as you don't want to waste your money. This visa will be useful to you to stay in Thailand, and also aid you to speak, read and write the language, which is interesting and fun.

You are absolutely correct. They will be more than happy to help you with any words you don't understand. Unless you are an a**. Thais feel it a compliment that you are trying to learn their language; exception people who are trying to rob you.

When I was a kid I worked in a stamping plant and I got used to sleeping next to a bumper press. I think it weighted ten ton and the ground shook a bit every time a bumper was stamped. Then I got drafted and learned to sleep with gunfire going off all night long. After that I raced sailboats and learned to sleep with ice cold water dripping down my back. You sound like a spoiled brat to me. But, hey it's your money. I think it's sad but I'd never say that. Ooops sorry I did.rolleyes.gif

and you sound like a brat to me that doesn't understand simple non-native English but jumps, without any facts, to silly conclusions. did i mention sleep with one word? do you think my "daily life" means 24 hours of sleeping? what does a secluded or withdrawn life style have to do with money? the choice of living in a condo or a detached home is not based on money. there are condos in Pattaya which cost a multiple of the average "medium upscale expat home".

if people like you enjoy listening to classical music with a neighbour drilling his heart out to hang some paintings or hacking his floor tiles off during your afternoon nap... i don't mind.

free advice: "switch on brains before posting!" laugh.png

noise pollution does not discern between big and tiny condos.

It discerns between soundproofed condos and non-soundproofed. Seen it done by the noise-sensitive, works well except that your cries for help couldn't possibly heard from the outside: it might be years before your remains are finally discovered. Pay fees far enough in advance and you could just have them entombed there, a plaque and a photo (an old photo of yourself as a young man of course) affixed to the door.