Worth It To Put A 600Cc Engine In My Bike?

submaniac

So I have a Yamaha FZR 400 in Thailand. The bike is in great shape, and there's nothing wrong with it. The FZR 400 is essentially an FZR 600 (though 400 has an aluminum frame, and was actually more expensive new than the 600) and an engine from a 600cc U.S. FZR 600 is a direct bolt into the frame. The FZR 400 makes 59 horsepower to the crank (I dunno, I think it was a Japanese 400cc restriction because all the 400cc Japanese bikes appear to make the same 59 hp). The FZR 600 makes about 90 crank, and the general dyno results are that it makes about 71 whp.

Now the FZR 600 was a really popular bike in the States, and the parts for 'em are really cheap. I found a low mileage fzr 600 engine for $200 on craigslist. That led me to start thinking about buying one, shipping to Thailand, and installing on my bike. This of course would entail me having to pay for shipping and the import taxes (I will need to show that I paid import tax to have the engine changed over in the greenbook). But I am debating whether it's worth the hassle.

On the one hand I think it would be cool to have a legitimate 600cc inline 4 cylinder bike in Thailand. The power would bee as good as anything in Thailand except for the real high end, modern sportbikes (like the cbr600-1000's, R6, R1, etc.) On the other hand it would be a hassle to ship, and I don't know if I would really need the power. Most of my riding (when I am there) is in BKK. 400cc is more than enough for city riding. The other thing is that with a small displacement bike, you can really reve on the RPM's without getting crazy speed. For example to redline on my CBR1000RR, I have to be doing over 100mph. It's kind of fun to have the engine screaming without going really fast.

So whaddya think? Worth the hassle for a 600cc? Thoughts?

I think you answered your own question when you said:

a) Most of my riding (when I am there) is in BKK. 400cc is more than enough for city riding.

B) The other thing is that with a small displacement bike, you can really reve on the RPM's without getting crazy speed.

For in town a CBR250RR would be cool. 19,000 rpm thumbsup.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

How about getting a kit to change the bore & stroke & have the top end port & polished. you could probably achieve around 500cc's or more & get the parts shipped via air from Japan Or get Red Baron to order for you. In the end I think it would cost less than getting the engine sent from the states. Or inquire with Red Baron Teena's & the other bike outlets tosee if the can get a 600 floating around Thailand already. I know how it is I am most likely buying a 400 super 4 Honda this Wensday coming up & thought about punching it out as far as I can. I am going back tyo the staes so I will see about getting a good kit there if the can find the Asian CB400 kit. I may have to ship from Japan to the U.S & bring home as 400's not to poular in the U.S. due to it being an Asian only item.

no worth it imo. im not too certain about fzr400 & 600 but i pretty sure the differences would be minimal for ordinary riders

i rode up few times from singapore to mhs loop on my cb400 and fazer600, not much differences even going uphill. just a ordinary biker here doing 120 on straight so maybe the more experienced riders could feel the differences. considering the charges for freight and the import taxes, might not be really worthwhile after all

400 is a weird thing, i too paid more for my revo than my fazer in singapore as well. both new btw, fazer is gone but the revo is laid up.