September 1, 201214 yr Ummm...I notice that the coming November semester actually starts on Monday 29th October. I'm expecting to get a monthly salary, but I'm unsure about the 2 days (29th & 31st October) where I'll probably be expected to work. Do I agree to a November to March contract and just don't work the 2 October days, or do I insist on extra cash for these days ? Another option could be that I'm expected to look at these 2 days as part of November's workload - so no extra payment. This is obviously not the first time that a semester starts on a weird date - although it's the first time for me. What do I do? Any suggestions or experiences?
September 1, 201214 yr I would imagine that you are required to be flexible about exact start dates, so I think this is just expected of you as the actual term. You could demand/ ask for payment, but then you would probably just alienate everyone your boss for a small financial gain.
September 1, 201214 yr I don't think you should expect that it will be paid as extra days. If it is, you are working for a very kindly school IMO.
September 1, 201214 yr Author @ aidenai & thecbr..Yes, quite obviously it will be the employer that answers the question - your awareness simply amazes me... I would imagine that even your good selves have had occasion to wonder at a potential employer's answer to questions...some answers don't necessarily reflect reality...erm...often like certain TV members, perhaps? Thanks to Slip for your input - very welcome, indeed.
September 1, 201214 yr @ aidenai & thecbr..Yes, quite obviously it will be the employer that answers the question - your awareness simply amazes me...I would imagine that even your good selves have had occasion to wonder at a potential employer's answer to questions...some answers don't necessarily reflect reality...erm...often like certain TV members, perhaps? Thanks to Slip for your input - very welcome, indeed. Common sense dictates the answer. Listen carefully when they tell you. Or maybe even write it down. will they pay won't they ...... ohhhh do let us know sent from my Wellcom A90+
September 1, 201214 yr If your school does not employ many foreigners they will simply not be aware of this issue. Thai teachers often work weekends or evenings without even thinking about extra pay and your Admin would probably expect you to do the same.
September 1, 201214 yr I can't answer on behalf of your school because we get paid for the month of October. We don't get the full month off anyway, but usually get two to three weeks off, depending on the dates. For the staff that we have that are on probation, they are only paid for the actual days they work, so they are paid for the days they work in October (or any other month with a holiday). Your discussion should be based on the way the terms of your contract. Do you get the same pay every month, or does it vary with the number of working days in the month? A lot of schools do expect teachers to attend to duties outside of regular working hours/days, without extra pay. Your best bet is to ask the school, but I wouldn't make a big deal about the answer unless you are generally not happy with the school and are willing to live with the consequences.
September 2, 201214 yr Author Hmmm...some interesting replies. Yes, Scott, I certainly don't have anything against attending duties outside of the regular hours - as long as it's not too often. I suppose I was rather waiting for someone who'd had previous good/bad experience with "weird dates" - or maybe for somebody to quote an extract or two from the Thai Labor Law...... A Thai friend remarked that the school probably wouldn't want to bother with the "October days", anyway, and would probably set the contract date from 1st November. For, it was said, as long as they were 'seen' to have a farang on the books, then the parents would no doubt be happy. I do believe that it's the school very first farang. too.
September 2, 201214 yr "2 days (29th & 31st October)" You talk about 2 days. Does this mean you work 29th 30th RDO work 31st. Is this correct?
September 2, 201214 yr Author Wahh??? Theoretically it means I work on 29th - don't work on 30th - and work again on 31st......... Erm...why?
September 2, 201214 yr It seems weird that you're expected to work Monday(29th) and Wednesday(31st) but not Tuesday(30th)? Edited September 2, 201214 yr by chonabot
September 3, 201214 yr Author Because that would be my normal (and not weird) schedule - that's why.... Could we keep on topic, please?
September 3, 201214 yr As requested, let's stick to the topic. According to the OP, he will be working for 2 days in October.
September 3, 201214 yr As requested, let's stick to the topic. According to the OP, he will be working for 2 days in October. The topic has been answered. Ask your employers sent from my Wellcom A90+
Create an account or sign in to comment