Visa Extension And New Passport

My UK passport expires in April of next year. My non-immigrant O (retirement) visa is up for renewal/extension at the end of January next year.

I tried asking my local immigration office if they could extend a visa on an old passport with only three months validity but was unable to get a straight answer.

I am thinking therefore, that the best way forward is to apply for my new passport now, well in advance, and then use it for the visa extension in January.

Does this sound sensible?

As I understand it, a new UK passport includes up to 6 months validity of the old one anyway.

Any advice or ideas gratefully received.

That sounds like the right plan - as your passport is almost useless for travel when below six months validity always best to do early. When new passport received go to immigration to transfer current extension of stay into it.

Correct you get some of the old validity carried over to your new passport, as soon as you get the new one (remember not to send the old one), then go to Immigration to get all the stamps transferred. If you do nearer the time for your extension then you only need to visit once.

You Brits are lucky. Canadian passports become invaled as soon as a new one is issued, the old one is stamped through, whether it still has years remaining on its 5 year validity or whether the time is up.

The Canadian Embassy makes you send the old passport with the new passport application. We do have a larger 48 page passport available, but still only valid for 5 years, at an additional cost.