Where Can I Get A Turntable To Play My Old Vinyl Records?

Godders

I have lots of great old vinyl records but no deck to play them on since my old one gave up the ghost. Anyone know a shop selling REASONABLY PRICED new or used record players, preferably with built-in amplifier and speakers - and if possible a way of downloading my vinyl music into my computer?

There are loads of very affordable players available in the UK and US, but the only ones I have come across here are imported top of the range set-ups with scary price tags.

I suppose that I could try eBay or Amazon, which I know offer players, but am deterred by the high delivery costs - not to mention the probable hassle from Thai Customs. I am still smarting from the hiding they gave me when I shipped my furniture over!

I am also looking for an old fashioned slide projector (the kind that takes rectangular, not carousel, slide boxes if anybody knows of a source.

I'm in Cha Am, but happy to travel to get what I want. Thank you.

I gave up trying to find a record player, and dumped my vinyl at the side of the street. It was gone by the time I came back from the pub.

You'll easily enough get a turntable at any of the upmarket hi fi shops.

Places that sell disco equipment might be a better bet, though, for something more practical.

SC

This is your answer. You won't be able to get one here, but if your vinyl collection is as large as mine then you will want to have access to it. I am fortunate enough to have 2 Technics 1200 mk2s with Concord Styli. These are running through a professional DJ mixing console that I can run stereo outs to my PC. Unfortunately this wonderful solution is in England with my 2,500 pieces of vinyl sad.png

Anyway, Numark are the only turntable manufacturer to EVER give Technics a run for it's money in the club DJ arena. Yes, you can spend £££££££s of ££££££s on Audiophile equipment and the end result is SPECTACULAR if you have the write media in PERFECT condition. For the rest of us mere mortals I would imagine that the Numark solution will be plenty brilliant.

You'll have to ship it to Thailand, but just wait for your next visitor. It'll be worth it.

----EDIT-----

The "you've got some cash to splash" version.

Looks the mutts nuts!

Edited by draftvader

Sorry, to continue. Here are you are going to be hit with serious import tax on anything worthwhile anyway, so importing is probably still going to get you the best bang for buck. Electronics in Thailand are more expensive than in Europe/US by quite some margin now. Your shipping and tax will still probably get you a better deal if you really want to enjoy your vinyl, but don't have audiophile money.

Hi!

I recommend you buy the turntable technics 1210 mk 2'

!

One of best turntable ever made very massive build you can jump near by without any interruption price around 300 pounds on eBay!

Another premium brand from uk itself is company Lynn basic!

If you can spend 700 pound up the creme dela creme would radio station use is garrard 301 and top Modell 401!

Around 790 to 1000 pounds!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Stay away from those all-in-one record players, the vibrations damage the vinyl.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/ion/profile-lp/ion-profile-lp

Bite the bullet and get it shipped over. You'll never find that selection of equipment in Thai shops anyway. Even if you asked a dealer to order one for you it's doubtful that he'll be able to source the sort of stuff you're after (as opposed to the Project turntables from Austria that are considered entry level for audiophiles at 200 quid a pop) from his usual supplier.

Why go through the hassle of, sourcing a turntable, downloading and learning how to use software such as Audacity, hooking yourself up to your computer, then transfering in real time the information to your computer, then editing wav files etc etc.

Do it the easy way, download the music from the internet.

Been there and done that, its a thankless task, a labour of love, and only worth undertaking if you have rare vinyl or bootlegs that cant be sourced on the internet.

What kind of music are we talking of here, I can source just about everything I want, including rare OOP vinyl, stuff that has never been released on CD.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Turntables are readily available in Thailand: low-end hi-fi/DJ systems starting at ~7,000 Baht; 'vinyl-to-digital' systems starting at ~11,000 Baht; high-end hi-fi starting at ~25,000 Baht.

Try these 'links':

music2homeDOTcom

neoentertainmentgalleryDOTcom

weloveturntableDOTcom

Scooter

There is definately at least 3 shops in Fortune town. (I was living around the corner from there and used to check out what was coming in from time to time as i have an interest myself) . Some new in the likes of "project" brand which can get quite pricey but good quality. There were at least 2 stores that had mid to high end second hand also. Good selection of vinyl as well in other stores as well.

You can download nearly all music ever produced at the click of a mouse button. If you search about enough you get get it digitally enhanced. Why would anyone go to the trouble of buying a deck and then paying more to transfer it ?

Sell your vinyl and download whatever you want to listen to.

It may be that "Godders" has a preference to the sound of vinyl against digital .I personally prefer the vinyl experience over the digital but it all depends on the type of music i'm listening to. Although if he is planning on an "all in one" system as he mentioned i don't think a quality sound would be so achievable. I guess its all down to personal taste.

You can download nearly all music ever produced at the click of a mouse button. If you search about enough you get get it digitally enhanced. Why would anyone go to the trouble of buying a deck and then paying more to transfer it ?

Sell your vinyl and download whatever you want to listen to.

It may be that "Godders" has a preference to the sound of vinyl against digital .I personally prefer the vinyl experience over the digital but it all depends on the type of music i'm listening to. Although if he is planning on an "all in one" system as he mentioned i don't think a quality sound would be so achievable. I guess its all down to personal taste.

Sorry Thailandbert i just realised in his original post that he is actually looking to transfer to his computer if possible. Your advice is probably spot on as from what i have read in regards to reviews of players that can digitally transfer to your computer,the quality is generally not that great.

I have one I bought to help out a friend in Thailand with the same problem. Its a vinyl to digital via USB. The software lets you clean up the music and even reduce the clicks and pops. I am done with it, just did a special opera collection for her. PM me if interested.

Maybe a bit off topic for the OP, but vinyl is back in a big way. A lot of new and older albums are being pressed into vinyl. Some of the older high end turntables are really in demand. There is a big difference in sound between digital and the warmth created by the actual movement in the vinyl. Digital is pretty sterile compared to analog.

While it might be handy to convert analog to digital for backup or ease of playing, nothing beats a good component stereo, vinyl and a good turntable.

• Like 2