One For The Fish People, What Type Of Fish Is This.

Hi Jim

Mekong Giant Catfish (Pangasianodon gigas ปลาบึก Pla Buuk)

Largest freshwater fish in the world; can grow to 3m, 300kg…but not in a pond. Also won’t breed in a pond. I have 20 of them. Bought them 15 month ago at around 7” now over 2’ and more than 5kg.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Jim

Largest freshwater fish in the world; can grow to 3m, 300kg…but not in a pond. Also won’t breed in a pond. I have 20 of them. Bought them 15 month ago at around 7” now over 2’ and more than 5kg.

Rgds

Khonwan

Not caught in the Mekong, but south of the big dam, which I can never remember the name of. The one off the Mun river which flows into the Mekong. Must be some big fish in there. Only need one or 2 a week and we will never starve. Jim

Hi Jim

Rgds

Khonwan

Yes, it won't breed in a pond... but it can be farm successfully, fries are obtain through artificial spawning...

Certainly not a pla bug

You guys all got it wrong its a pla sawai. Its a cousin of the pla bug. Most fishermen will recognize it. I believe these unlike the pla bug can breed in ponds. Though im not 100% sure of that statement.

Pla sawai striped catfish.

pla sawai , I would say, got a load of them in one of our ponds.

Great to fillet,

Put the fillets in salt water overnight in the fridge, and tastes pretty good the following day, deep fried with batter, chips, mushy peas, bread and butter and sarsons.

mmmmmmmm

My todays best guess: that fish is called a pla buk. A pla buk looks like a pla sawai but is not that fat, so more delicious. My choice for pla buk corroborates with the presence of that giant krok in the background and the relative small stomach of that handsome man.

The way to tell the difference between a sawai and a mekhong catfish is that the latter has a black spot on the side of its head. Eatingwise (my new word of the day), the latter is far superior and much more expensive. If you do not know how to prepare sawai, get someone who does. There is some tissue rather like a string running down either side of its body that needs to be removed before cooking. Otherwise it can taste pretty awful.

Just asked the wife, she's definite Pla Buuk, which thanks to those above I now know to be the Mekong cat fish.

Just for those who are into fishing, which I am not really, just like to swing in a hammock with a beer and rod at times. The fish was caught in the Dom Noy, , which is the river that flows through Bunthark into the big lake. Jim

Just asked the wife, she's definite Pla Buuk, which thanks to those above I now know to be the Mekong cat fish.

Just for those who are into fishing, which I am not really, just like to swing in a hammock with a beer and rod at times. The fish was caught in the Dom Noy, , which is the river that flows through Bunthark into the big lake. Jim

Lam Dom Noi. Hopefully, I will get out that way later this year. I enjoy my breaks in Ubon, mainly Pibul, for fishing in the dam and Moon River.

Lam Dom Noi. Hopefully, I will get out that way later this year. I enjoy my breaks in Ubon, mainly Pibul, for fishing in the dam and Moon River.

Come on over for a night, we get few visitors out this far, you bring beer and I will provide food and a bed. Jim

I hadn’t clicked on the photo before, simply relying on your wife, Jim, but now that I have, I don’t think it is Pla Buuk. Mine have a more distinctive black-edged tail and eyes that are set lower in the head. If it helps, Pla Buuk have no teeth and no whiskers. I’d say mine are also a bit darker in general colour of the body.

GarryP, the very similar looking fish that has a black spot on the side of its head is the Black-Ear Catfish (Pangasius larnaudii ปลาเทโพ Pla Tapo), of which I have 22 bought on the same day as my Pla Buuk and now the same size.

Rgds

Khonwan

PS. I found Google Images useful in identifying them

PPS. I don’t fish – I just enjoy swimming with them.

I hadn’t clicked on the photo before, simply relying on your wife, Jim, but now that I have, I don’t think it is Pla Buuk. Mine have a more distinctive black-edged tail and eyes that are set lower in the head. If it helps, Pla Buuk have no teeth and no whiskers. I’d say mine are also a bit darker in general colour of the body.

GarryP, the very similar looking fish that has a black spot on the side of its head is the Black-Ear Catfish (Pangasius larnaudii ปลาเทโพ Pla Tapo), of which I have 22 bought on the same day as my Pla Buuk and now the same size.

Rgds

Khonwan

I am still 100% sure its pla sawai (striped catfish) Pla bug looks different and i have caught tons of both of them. The tail in this case is a give away shape and color. Also the head is different.

Rgds

Khonwan

You are absolute correct. My mistake.

Certainly not a pla bug

You guys all got it wrong its a pla sawai. Its a cousin of the pla bug. Most fishermen will recognize it. I believe these unlike the pla bug can breed in ponds. Though im not 100% sure of that statement.

Pla sawai striped catfish.

Well i'm certainly not among the guys whom you said that got it wrong as i didn't mention whether it was a Sawai or a Pla Buuk because i merely agreed to Khonwan post on the impossibility of breeding Pla Buuk in a captivity pond... smile.png