Reviews On Eva Airline?

phuturatica

I'm flying from BKK - LHR non-stop with EVA airways and I've never experienced this airline before. I booked the ticket as it was the cheapest and a direct flight which I've never done before.

Just wondering am I in for a rough ride or will it be a breeze?

How is the food? Seating etc?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience with EVA, I would recommend them. I've never had a problem and staff seemed quite friendly and reasonable.

Not like Air Canada (especially domestic) where I'm starting to think they have special courses for flight attendants to teach them how to scowl and be generally nasty. If you want that "just a piece of cattle in the herd" feeling, try Air Canada. (I suspect the AC flight attendants will start using cattle prods soon.)

You got cheap tickets on Eva Air? If it was me, I would think I'd just won the big jackpot. Everytime I search for cheap tickets to Bangkok from where we are, it's always with some crappy North American Airline. It's been a few years since my wife and I flew Eva Air, but I would rank it up there with Cathay Pacific who we now normally fly with to Thailand. It's not that it's all that bad as an airport, but we much prefer transiting through Hong Kong airport to the one at Taipei. As far as food, I've been flying as a passenger on airlines since the late 1950's, and it's been so long since I last had a good meal in economy on "any" airline, I've forgotten when. I just peck at a few things on the tray in front of me, to keep from starving on the long flight to and from Thailand.

They do tend to bump flights if they are not full to the following day.

I was booked Wednesday 19th this month but two months after booking they emailed me saying the flight was cancelled.

The same thing happened last year

Midweek flights get cancelled most and I'm guessing that's mostly low/mid season.

Several people have taken the time and shown the kindness to help the OP, phuturatica, yet this member hasn't bothered to say thanks or even recognize in any way what has been done for him or her. This happens too often at TVF and is one of the reasons I rarely bother to post here.

Is my complaint reasonable, or is this just the way the world is now, and I should learn to accept that common courtesy has gone the way of the Dodo? I know we shouldn't help people to be thanked for it, but let's be honest, it only takes a few seconds and is the proper thing to do.

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 1

Several people have taken the time and shown the kindness to help the OP, phuturatica, yet this member hasn't bothered to say thanks or even recognize in any way what has been done for him or her. This happens too often at TVF and is one of the reasons I rarely bother to post here.

Is my complaint reasonable, or is this just the way the world is now, and I should learn to accept that common courtesy has gone the way of the Dodo? I know we shouldn't help people to be thanked for it, but let's be honest, it only takes a few seconds and is the proper thing to do.

No you are not unreasonable..seems more likely the OP is ungrateful or incapable for some unknown reason of taking ten seconds to say "thanks"....see it all the time on TV and other forums.

• Like 1

No you are not unreasonable..seems more likely the OP is ungrateful or incapable for some unknown reason of taking ten seconds to say "thanks"....see it all the time on TV and other forums.

My pet peeve also.

Yermanee

Flown them a number of times but the other direction BKK>LAX via Taipei. Prefer over a US airline. Lounge in Swampy fine for me. In my exp, never had a delay or cancellation, guess we've been fortunate.

Thought I read somewhere recently they are upgrading their J class to lie flat seats from the OBGYN style, which are ok for smaller folks, but not great for larger sizes, not that I'm that large (5'10"). I've found the cradle/relax position the most comfortable. Cabin crew fine, some English issues (but it is an Asian airline after all, no worries). Wife and I are an easy going lot, so the pre-programmed routine of cabin service works for me, usually don't need extended conversation with the cabin crew. Food just fine, AVOD sufficient on the long leg IMO. Overall, when the ticket price was right, excellent value for money in J class, never tried eco or eco premium with them.

Rgds,

J

I fly that route 5 return journeys a year (economy), so I tend to note down comments on each flight. EVA used to have foul food but it got better in recent years. Still looks unappetising in their baby-sick beige plastic dishes and cutlery (may have changed since I last flew them July last year). Seats average but leg room can often be restricted by the box of mechanics underneath some of them. Staff effficient and nice. Alcohol round often restricted to one small one (you can pester for more). IFE is good but not as good as the Middle East big 3.

Generally OK, better than Thia (apart from food and drink). I tend to choose the indirect route with one of the aforementioned big 3 these days (Qatar, Etihad, Emirates) they are nearly always 200 GBP cheaper, their food is better and their IFE superb.

Whatever one says most of these airlines can vary from flight to flight, as shown by my raw contemporaneous notes on EVA below. You are unlikely to have a horrid experience with any of them (have never tried via India, Turkey, Colombo, Russia - probably wrongly prejuiced that I might have a horrid experience at the transfer stage).

1-Sep EVA LHR BKK Attractive efficient staff; IFE good; can book seats well in advance; Disgusting food

01-Nov EVA BKK LHR Pretty staff work hard; multiple soft drinks rounds; food plentiful & quite nice; IFE good; can book seats well in advance; free self-serve snacks

Boxes under seat restsrict width of legspace for 2 out of every 3 seats; only one alcohol round

08-Nov EVA LHR BKK

Food tolerable

22-Dec EVA BKK LHR Only one alcohol round for a day flight - not good enough

28-Dec Thai LHR BKK Attractive/efficient staff; soft drinks rounds limited; 2-3 alcohol rounds; some snacks; food quite good IFE usual lousiness

28-Feb Thai BKK LHR Ridiculous long check-in queue (45 mins). Can't remember rest. IFE useless as always

13-Mar EVA LHR BKK Check in online disabled but plane not full so ok seat. No check in queue. Food average. 9-May EVA BKK LHR No check in on line so seat at the back; check in no queue (2hrs); avg pretty; Tiniest glass of wine (one sweep); food ok; good softies ditribution; help urself crackers (2 sorts) and sandwiches; warned about malfunctioning IFE, but it worked 22-May EVA LHR BKK No record kept - pretty ok I think 20-Jul EVA BKK LHR Walk-up check-in (-80mins); Food plentiful and ok; big glasses of alc; many softie rounds; hostesses average; smooth and unremarkable, except had a row of 4 to myself and I WAS UPGRADED to Premium Economy (benefits of late check-in!)

Yes - I am a bit analbiggrin.png

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Phuturatica is a busy lass...don't fret...she will be back. :)

EVA us fine....no frills...food OK...take a book as the entertainment is fairly limited.

He/she only posted the original post a little more than 24 hours ago at the time I post this. Do they have to stay online waiting to thank every one who replies? Maybe they only log on every few days?

• Like 1

Eva is fine, never been disappointed with their service.

Go for a walk down the back between the meal services, always heaps of nibbles and drinks. The cabin staff are always friendly if you go to them rather than expect a waitress to rush and serve you in your seat every ten minutes. Good to have stretch as well.

We were upgraded to Elite class LHR/BKK in July.

Flew them for years from 2005-2008 and watched them steadily decline in quality. Their in seat entertainment was a bit odd, economy had the selectable userface, but business class had to make due with channels that looped movies.

I have noticed that they are more expensive than the rest, at least for me. BKK to EWR (Newark NJ).

I flew Singapore air in April and it was fantastic, I also LOVE Thai Air, but they discontinued their BKK to JFK nonstop flights...

Flew them for years from 2005-2008 and watched them steadily decline in quality. Their in seat entertainment was a bit odd, economy had the selectable userface, but business class had to make due with channels that looped movies.

I have noticed that they are more expensive than the rest, at least for me. BKK to EWR (Newark NJ).

That isn't the case on the LHR-BKK route.

Never flown economy on EVA or its variant of premium economy Elite. I use EVA because its business class can be 10-20% less on routes to North America than other carriers. I have found the following;

1. Food: Ok, but caters to the Asian pax. Nothing overly inspiring.

2. Booze: rationed

3. Personnel: They try to help

4. Equipment reliability: Pretty good.

5. Checkin: Efficient at EVA staffed airports (Exception is contracted staff at Hong kong which I think are awesome.)

6. IFE: The same as any other airline

7. Amenities: Nothing special but I keep the slippers. My friends at the office love them and the Thais will sometimes keep a pair in their desks.

8. On time Performance: Not the best

9. Safety: Has one of the best histories in the world.

I take the TPE-BKK-TPE that is connecting to or from LHR and the menu doesn't look bad and the pax seem happy enough. They don't have the frowns like you see on some other carriers.

The seat pitch in economy is slightly better than some other cariers.

You can't go wrong on EVA.

• Like 1

Hey there...I've used them and others a few times and they are the best and quickest...and using them again this October...Staff are the most helpful I have ever experienced and you will not have a problem...Enjoy the flight..smile.png

Ditto, have been using them for donkeys years and never had a rough ride or had to deal with scowling cabin crew.