New Surprise With This Year's Thai Wife Non-O Extension

Well, obviously the visa and the work permit end the same day, so since it takes 30 days for the Thai Wife extension to get processed we always go 30 days before the visa expires. 30 days later they give me the extension. Same day it expires.

Has been like that for the last 8 years.

Well. This year apparently they got a memo (this is what they told me) and now, VISAS will be picked up a month AFTER they expire...

Maybe this has been discussed here before. I found this interesting. So, I now have a stamp for November to go pick up my VISA.

Where are you talking about? Most extensions of stay have not been tied to visas for a few years now from my understanding and since the floods of last year the extension of stay review period has often been longer than 30 days but not a set time in any reports and no memo has ever been mentioned.

I had to wait 2 months (applied 14th June) got a stamp which said must contact again on 10th Aug and when I went on that day it still wasn't there.

I was told to come back a week later. Their excuse was that the Bangkok Office is very busy with all the paperwork they are getting and they have to check, so that's why the delay.

Finally got my extension on 15th August. (Extension of stay is permitted up to 14th July 2013).

Edit: // This was Pattaya / Jomtien Office

Edited by MJCM

The stamp reads "Application under consideration" So you are still legally in the country. However, it seems as though you are saying your Immigration office is not looking at when the application was made but at the expiry date for your extension as for when you can pick up the approved renewal. I recall something like this at my office about 10 years or so ago but they quickly realized that it was too unwieldy and dropped it.

The date to pick up your new extension is usually 30 days from the date your current extension expires.

Makes no difference when you apply.

So if you apply 30 days early the under consideration date will be 60 days.

Has been like that for ages.

I've been doing this for 8 years. Everytime is the same thing

Expires on Oct. 3

I go Sept 3 to apply

I get a stamp to come back Oct 2 or Oct 3

I get my stamp. I give to my school my school does the WP.

Everytime is like that.

This year.

Go sept 3.

Get a stamp to come back Nov. 2.

First time that has ever happened to me. I've never had to wait 2 months for a stamp. It ha always been 30 days.

Actually it used to be 45 days was normal - then they got it down to 30 days - since the floods of last year most have taken longer than 30 days and people have had to return twice so perhaps they are providing a longer stamp now so you will not have an extra return when it is not ready within 30 days.

Actually it used to be 45 days was normal - then they got it down to 30 days - since the floods of last year most have taken longer than 30 days and people have had to return twice so perhaps they are providing a longer stamp now so you will not have an extra return when it is not ready within 30 days.

OP has a WP, expiries one month before he'll get the new extension stamp, any side effect?

"I get my stamp. I give to my school my school does the WP."

Or do the authorities work together on this?

Work permits should not be tied to visas/entry anymore. Only the actual issue requires a valid non immigrant visa/extension and official stamp in passport should be considered that.

Understood!

But I wasn't knowing, that they extend your wp, as long the visa extension is still not done!