Democrats Surprise With Victory In Pheu Thai Stronghold

webfact

So, many people are trying to work out what this election result reveals.
Karun said he believed the loss stemmed from misunderstanding by people about the compensation money paid to flood victims.

Don't the red supporters on TV normally preach that when one side wins by a majority and the other side loses, it is because the losing side are s**t?

The electorate have spoken, this lady made a big effort for the people and was rewarded, nothing wrong with that........exactly as things should be

You must be quite staggered at the turn around, for months now on this forum we have suffered continual derision and insults aimed at the intelligence of the Thai electorate.........just because they voted the Dems out.......how naive, ill informed, and short sighted, those comments have proved to be.

• Like 2

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Although we lost, we reached our goal set in every aspect. We expected a 30-per-cent turnout and we should have got over 10,000 votes. That should have won us the seat. We reached our set goals but the turnout was up to 44 per cent, which was higher than we expected and quite a number of voters went for our opponent's candidate. Personally, I think the fieldwork, the teams and readiness, was very strong and we had it all," he said.

Karun said he believed the loss stemmed from misunderstanding by people about the compensation money paid to flood victims.

Apart from maybe the last statement he could be a politician back in Europe.

Mind you, the loss of this seat might be related to his activities to help a flooding to be well done. Now the claim by the Pak Kret district chief that MP Karun led Don Muang residents to destroy a dyke to block overflow from the Khlong Prapa canal early morning 21st of Otober I cannot repeat as MP Karun treatened to sue any one reporting this. Still there are other reports of MP Karun's thoughtfulness which may have reflected on his relative loosing an election

2011-11-14

"Pheu Thai MP Karun Hosakul was allegedly assaulted last week after driving his jet ski too fast through flooded Don Mueang and causing a local resident's boat to capsize."

http://www.coconutsb...s-with-jet-ski/

Interesting thread 2011-11-13

"Removal Of Don Muang Airport Big Bag Barriers Draws Condemnation"

http://www.thaivisa....s-condemnation/

The winning Democrat Party candidate Kanoknuch Narksuwannapa

403x403x27jpgpagespeedicrRNOl_yIFu.jpg

Phwoar, she's a looker, where did she get her degree from, can she even speak english, wonder if she's well known at the holiday Inn, what did she do for a job before she got this one, who's her daddy, does she even know where parliament is, doesn't matter 'cos she'll be shopping for handbags as soon as your back's turned.

And all because the PM MP is a woman.......................................

Although I have given you the benefit of doubt many times alas you have confirmed my thoughts 100%

What? he has a sense of humour......you can't take his comments seriously surely.....he didn't mention Burberry.

where did she get her degree from, can she even speak english, wonder if she's well known at the holiday Inn, what did she do for a job before she got this one, who's her daddy, does she even know where parliament is

Try using a search engine to find your answers. wink.png

Well I googled her name and basically all I got was the OP. Must find a real search engine - you ever going to get round to telling me and the forum how the wondrous TV one works?

"One small step for democracy."

I am wondering if posters would be saying the same if the PTP MP had won?

What do you think?

I would think how typically stupid some Pheu Thai Party MP was for giving up his seat in Parliament to run as a Bangkok Council member.

He was referring to Karun, not any other PTP MP. I would imagine that Karun had worked out the odds of having his disqualification overturned by the Supreme Court as extremely low, so what did he have to lose anyway?

One small step for democracy.

One giant leap for womankind

What do you think?

PM happy to have a wife beater

PM rallies against violence to women

Red Shirt sympathizers don't care

Hmmmmmmm

where did she get her degree from, can she even speak english, wonder if she's well known at the holiday Inn, what did she do for a job before she got this one, who's her daddy, does she even know where parliament is

Try using a search engine to find your answers. wink.png

Well I googled her name and basically all I got was the OP. Must find a real search engine - you ever going to get round to telling me and the forum how the wondrous TV one works?

If you do a search, you'll find out I told you two days ago.

As for the current topic search, do you not know any Thais that you could ask for her name in Thai?

Phwoar, she's a looker, where did she get her degree from, can she even speak english, wonder if she's well known at the holiday Inn, what did she do for a job before she got this one, who's her daddy, does she even know where parliament is, doesn't matter 'cos she'll be shopping for handbags as soon as your back's turned.

Although I have given you the benefit of doubt many times alas you have confirmed my thoughts 100%

A penny for them, hope they're not thoughts about me, that would just be creepy......................

Most people consider local council as a reasonable entry point to politics and public service, and she appears to have put in the hard yards and deserve her position.

Certainly I have more respect for her what ever party she represents than some barbie doll who enters at PM level because of her family connections.

BTW Try reading the OP - she is neither PM or MP

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 2

What do you think?

I would think how typically stupid some Pheu Thai Party MP was for giving up his seat in Parliament to run as a Bangkok Council member.

He was referring to Karun, not any other PTP MP. I would imagine that Karun had worked out the odds of having his disqualification overturned by the Supreme Court as extremely low, so what did he have to lose anyway?

LOL, I appreciate you answering for tlansford. It indicates you're beginning to understand how the forum platform operates publicly rather than as a series of personal messages.

As for what he had to lose, that would be face and money (admittedly though, neither of which Karun is really concerned about).

If he is tossed from his MP seat, he would not be eligible to take the seat on the Bangkok Council.

Here ya go... "Karun said he believed the loss stemmed from misunderstanding by people about the compensation money paid to flood victims."

More like they did not buy votes and lost accordingly.

So now "the reds " are guilty of not buying votes...............

Am I missing something re comments like this ???

I suppose considering the way things work here it's always a possibility that it's down to lack of vote buying by the reds. Of course it could be down to more vote buying by the Dems although I certainly hope not. These are only possibilities though and as far as I know there's no evidence of substantial vote buying although I'm sure there will have been some as things are never perfect.

I wonder if this is just the normal pattern as seen in western democracies where during a government's administration voters are more likely to vote against them in any election, particularly in local ones.

Edited by kimamey

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5628225

As for the current topic search, do you not know any Thais that you could ask for her name in Thai?

Sorry can't keep up with your prolific posting. Checked out the TV search engine, didn't tell me anything I didn't know. It is still as accurate as searching for a term as a sawn off shotgun and the pin point searchs you have claimed to achieve using it in the past - well let's just say I don't believe you.

Most people consider local council as a reasonable entry point to politics and public service, and she appears to have put in the hard yards and deserve her position.

Certainly I have more respect for her what ever party she represents than some barbie doll who enters at PM level because of her family connections.

BTW Try reading the OP - she is neither PM or MP

So sorry, I was carried away by her beauty and obvious political nous. How did that Singha heiress get on with her dem MP bid in the last election?

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5628225

Sorry can't keep up with your prolific posting. Checked out the TV search engine, didn't tell me anything I didn't know. It is still as accurate as searching for a term as a sawn off shotgun and the pin point searchs you have claimed to achieve using it in the past - well let's just say I don't believe you.

"prolific posting"

cheesy.gif

Since I replied with that post 2 days ago, you've posted more than I have. Perhaps more reading and less writing will result in not overlooking replies that are made to your posts.

As for the Thaivisa search engine, I'm sorry your skills are lacking. Keep at it. With practice, it will improve and that's something you can believe in.

As for the current topic search, as said, I'd recommend finding a Thai to help you. Are you not around any?

Edited by Buchholz

When we say exact the same thing about Yingluck you go into attack mood, why is that?
  • Like 2

So sorry, I was carried away by her beauty and obvious political nous. How did that Singha heiress get on with her dem MP bid in the last election?

Sorry, I don't answer questions that I consider stupid (not to mention irrelevant).

BTW you don't need a great deal of political savvy to become a local councilor - it is an entry position unlike PM

Did Karun really say "PT will study what they missed to fix the result"....?

Sorry, my honest mistake. He actually said, 'PT will study the result to fix what they missed'.

Easy one to make with Thai politics.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 2

I think you will find that they had, prior to the ballot, "secured" around ten thousand votes, which they thought would be enough to see them accross the line on a 30 - 35% turnout.

Fortunately another 10% of the electorate turned out, and not surprisingly, gave their votes to the Democrat party for at least looking like they cared about the constituents during the floods.

So basically their own fault with insufficent funds forwarded to the Red Phu yai to buy enough cattle block votes.

I think you will find that they had, prior to the ballot, "secured" around ten thousand votes, which they thought would be enough to see them accross the line on a 30 - 35% turnout.

Fortunately another 10% of the electorate turned out, and not surprisingly, gave their votes to the Democrat party for at least looking like they cared about the constituents during the floods.

So basically their own fault with insufficent funds forwarded to the Red Phu yai to buy enough cattle block votes.

Why are you so obsessed by the Vote Buying issue ?

Living in the district for many years, with many Thai family and friends around, I can tell you this win was about the hard work she and the guy who will stand for the Dems did especially during the floods, if Karun loses his appeal - smart work, me thinks

Like in elections all over the "democratic" world and like Karun before he got carried away with the Red Shirts and forgot his voters.

Stop trying to be-little this woman and more the Thai people in this area.

They are wising up - why don't you?

Edited by RegularReader
  • Like 2

whistling.gif 100 baht envelopes handed out by dem canvassers will work every time... oh wait that was in a red strong hold upcountry... In BKK it would take 500 ++ baht plus some expensive nosh and "other night activities" for a dem to win in an urban red stronghold... blink.png

You have proof?

Why? Are you a policeman?

You don't need to be a policeman to want people to offer evidence when they make an accusation.

Here ya go... "Karun said he believed the loss stemmed from misunderstanding by people about the compensation money paid to flood victims."

No, just not paying enough ... compensation ... that is.

No, just not paying enough ... compensation ... that is.

If you lived through the floods you might not be so smart...this was devastating for many people and she shared her sympathy.

This was not about bribes - it was about care.

Thai people are not stupid like you infer.

Don't be so insulting.

• Like 1

I'll ignore all the cheap shot Johnnies who posted about money changing hands being the reason the voters chose to switch horses in this election. Don Muang is changing a lot - particularly since the Government complex on Chang Wattana opened.

People supported Karun before because he helped them and the area. Often it was little more than turning up at a wedding or funeral. He was always making promises to bring the BTS out here - still not happening - and lots of other goodies were also on offer. However since he bacame a leading light in the Red Shirts, he began to ignore his base in favor of being a big star.

The Dems picked a couple of good young candidates who got to work and got to know the community.

This was particularly evident during the floods. The Dems came up our soi several times handing out supplies and making sure people were okay. Meanwhile Karun was speeding around the district picking fights and pushing people out of the way - such as the guy who ended up in the floodwaters when he sped past on his jet-ski.

Whether this is a one off only time will tell.

But as there will possibly be an election to replace Karun if he loses his current appeal, we mightn't have to wait too long to see if this is more than an accident.

you account sounds like a reasonable method for a party / for candidates to do well in elections (past & present as you point out). It strikes me as a more realistic representation than the simplistic vote-buying characterizations which are attributed to any victory by a PTP candidate.

One small step for democracy.

One giant leap for womankind

What do you think?

But he didn't so we will never know!

I think the PT lost because the Prime Minister has accustomed them to just expect Photo Ops from the PT and they just couldn't do it here.

Strange how the could predict the number of votes they got. They probably just figured that 10,000 would be enough and went out and bought 10,000.

• Like 1