Chiang Mai To Vang Vieng

btowny

Chiang Mai-Nan by bus, 5 hours 15 minuites, then you can take bus from Nan - Huay Kon - Muang Nguen - Pakbeng - Luang Prabang - Vang Ving.

There is a new route bus takes 7 hours from Udon Thani - Vang Ving.

i see vang vieng direct advertised all over the tourist areas in the little roadside travelagencies-

they looked like minivans on the pics-

i would go through the effort and actually look at the vehicle with my own two eyes-

it is well worth the trouble-

please satisfy my curiosity-why vang vieng

what is it people do there?

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

i see vang vieng direct advertised all over the tourist areas in the little roadside travelagencies-

they looked like minivans on the pics-

i would go through the effort and actually look at the vehicle with my own two eyes-

it is well worth the trouble-

They get shitfaced drunk and high on shroom shakes and weed and then go rafting and ziplining into the water.

Honestly, I have never been there, but I have heard countless stories of how "awesome" it is.

You can get high and drunk and float down the river, hang out with a bunch of other 20 somethings who are exploring the world by staying in a tightknit area, going on some treks and pissing off the locals by showing little to no respect to customs and culture.

It's a shame, cause it looks amazing in the many pictures I have seen, after the recent deaths (drunks who can't swim or dive into shallow areas) there is an attempt to shut things down and curtail it. We'll see if it sticks or not.

10 years ago Vang Vieng was a must see if you like out of the way places with character,culture and an unspoiled environment.

Things have changed dramatically for the worse. The local market,close to the river, was replaced by bars,there has been easy access to drugs and it is mostly frequented by the younger brigade to get off their faces.I haven't been back but my daughter has after our original visit 10 years ago and was shocked by the degredation of the area.I think Black Artemis comments, from her accounts, were pretty spot on. 3 young people have drowned in the last 2 years coming down the river on car tubes or diving . All,according to reports were either under the influence of alcohol and /or drugs.How it got so far out of control in a country that has a Government which is pretty unforgiving is anyones guess. Give it a miss, plenty of alteranatives.

• Leaves from the Arcade Bus Station.
  • New Chiang Mai-Luang Prabang bus route
    January 20, 2012Richard Barrow
    724_2492.jpg
    A second class air-conditioned bus route opened Thursday from Chiang Mai to Luang Pabang as the 8th route linking Thailand with the Lao PDR. The route opening ceremony took place at the Chiang Mai Arcade bus terminal. The 44-seater air-conditioned bus departs once a day from Chiang Mai province and makes a stop in Chiang Rai before crossing the border to Louang Namtha, Oudomxay and Luang Prabang provinces of Laos. The journey takes 18 hours and the fare is 1,200 Baht. Once the fourth bridge across the Mekong River from Thailand, linking Chiang Khong with the Lao PDR’s Huay Xai, is finished next year, first class air-conditioned buses will replace the second services with a fare of 1,500 Baht.
    In related news, Deputy Permanent Secretary for Transport Silapachai Jarukasemrattana said the high-speed train project from Bangkok-Chiang Mai should be ready for service in 2017. He said currently a study is beng carried out to see which route is to start first. Apart from the Bangkok-Chiang Mai route, two other preliminary routes are in the project: Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima and Bangkok-Hua Hin. The high-speed rail journeys are expected to link the entire country within 3-4 hours, Mr Silpacha said.
    Sources: MCOT and NNT

10 years ago Vang Vieng was a must see if you like out of the way places with character,culture and an unspoiled environment.

Things have changed dramatically for the worse. The local market,close to the river, was replaced by bars,there has been easy access to drugs and it is mostly frequented by the younger brigade to get off their faces.I haven't been back but my daughter has after our original visit 10 years ago and was shocked by the degredation of the area.I think Black Artemis comments, from her accounts, were pretty spot on. 3 young people have drowned in the last 2 years coming down the river on car tubes or diving . All,according to reports were either under the influence of alcohol and /or drugs.How it got so far out of control in a country that has a Government which is pretty unforgiving is anyones guess. Give it a miss, plenty of alteranatives.

Try 6 deaths since January.

And I'm young and love to have a good time. My problem is these schmucks come in for a few weeks and add to the negative farang stereotype, then up and leave. And i am left having to deal with it, cause I'm young and white, so I must be the same! That's where my negative attitude comes from.

I shot these in 2006 when the most "organised" boozing and jumping operation had just opened but doubtless there are countless others by now. The locals had a goldmine operating - money for old rope (well an old inner tube and a ten minute ride in a songthaw) but the signs of overkill were everywhere. Fun to do once, back then at least.

i-vPXnMFX-L.jpg

i-fqXCWF4-X3.jpg

i-2WDnnQN-X3.jpg

i-FtND9mK-X3.jpg

i-KChrh5M-X3.jpg

i-jFgVJ8B-X3.jpg

But, as you'd expect, there's a (sort of) disclaimer....note the "when you have an accident" rather than if.

i-ZzTQvmW-X3.jpg

Actually, the nearby countryside is fantastic with some great walks and motorbike rides but I suspect most of the visitors don't take it in.

Edited by Greenside

Horrible place IMO as i was there awaiting my thai visa in VT during an extended thai holiday so the TC was closed for days...took the local and super bouncy-dusty bus to VV...land at old usa runway from the war...isolated place full of 20 stg's getting wasted...every 5 feet is the same sandwich food cart with the exact same food--fyi the last one made me sick like ive never been sick before as i couldnt even keep water in me--5 mins later--turbo blast---and it was right as i was getting on bus to come back to VT..i was never so "nervous" in my life!!

Dirty Bkpkrs everywhere with buckets of booze or recovering in the 100's of TV shops playing back to back friends or family guy on dvd.

Never got to the island but can hear the music blasting all nite--i did bike out of town a bit and some cool caves but its either that exploring stuff or drug central---a friend said the shakes sucked and she got her bag stolen when she went out clubbing--i stayed in

I was bored out of my mind and irritated at the manners of the kids there---very much a tape loop of things to do and see like the cm sunday market.....watch out for the drug set up as the cops own the city and if ur up for the drug scene they are waiting to scam you.

i would stay a bit on the outskits and do the cave-biking thing as i dont trust what they put in those shakes---ie the phi phi girls as well

But again it was ok to see---lots of drunk-drugged up kids jumping into a brown mix of water that may have a huge rock waiting under it for you to cripple you for life..enjoy!

The Nan border is open to foreigners, but it will take ages to get there. Once you leave Thailand its a long walk to the Lao immigration. then some very irregular bus connections to Hongsa then Sayabouri and thence to Luang Prabang. The quickest way is probably the direct bus from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang and then onward to Vang Vieng, thought the speedboat option would probably be about the same.

If you brave the speedboat option, at the very least take earplugs - I met people still reeling from 5 or 6 hours next to the engine a full day after they staggered from the boat. The crash helmets aren't for effect either, as tales abound of spectacular accidents.

i-sj9NS5D-XL.jpg

At one time - not long ago - they were known for having opium dens and lots of other drug use. I have no idea if that is still the situation.

It seems to have been escalating for some time. But not for much longer it seems. The Lao Government is cleaning the place up to make room for a 'new breed' of tourist. No more tubing, crackdown on bars selling drugs, expat staff told to leave.

Other than the scenery there's no particular reason to stop there and although it's nice there are better places. Cleaning it up will only result in no incomes all round so that initiative is likely to go the way of the regular "Let's Turn Pattaya Into A Family Resort" crackdowns - they'll tone it down for a little while and then it'll be back to business as usual.