Red Bull Heir May Face Manslaughter Charge: Bangkok Hit-And-Run Crash

webfact

Have you any recent examples? That one happened 43 years ago.

There will be plenty of time elapsed after this one as well. And the reason why any US power player examples 'look and sound better' is simply because they are better at it, they have news machines that are far more eloquent and convincing than the local versions here (look at how 'nice, clean, and right' we can make wars sound for example), just like the Swiss are better at making watches or the Japanese at making cars.

:)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be plenty of time elapsed after this one as well. And the reason why any US power player examples 'look and sound better' is simply because they are better at it, they have news machines that are far more eloquent and convincing than the local versions here (look at how 'nice, clean, and right' we can make wars sound for example), just like the Swiss are better at making watches or the Japanese at making cars.

Well there wasn't much time between Moo Ham running down the bus queue in the family Merc, the unlicensed 16 year old creaming a minibus on the tollway in daddies car and this guy who was fired up on more than Red Bull. My guess is the wait will be alot less.

smile.png

Well there wasn't much time between Moo Ham running down the bus queue in the family Merc, the unlicensed 16 year old creaming a minibus on the tollway in daddies car and this guy who was fired up on more than Red Bull. My guess is the wait will be alot less.

If it'll make folks feel better, there are literal droves of convicted (and poor lower class types) murderers and misc. criminals freed from Thai prisons each year after 1/4, 1/8 or worse of their original sentences served. In pure numbers, probably in the thousand to 1 range compared to these 'high profile hi-so gets out of trouble' type cases. My guess is that many posters would find that less troubling (and less worth whining about) though.... because they get out and they are still poor and downtrodden: driving taxis, motorcycles, buses, etc.... instead of returning to a life of (annoyingly) carefree comfort. But yeah, let's try to keep pretending this is about "principles."

smile.png

Edited by Heng

Just as bad and same applies in my when they get early releases or low punishment's. I dont differentiate.

I want justice though we all differ about what that is in certain cases.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Well then at least you seem to be 'keepin' it real.' Congrats. Can't say that I don't see plenty of double standards on the board though.

Just as bad and same applies in my when they get early releases or low punishment's. I dont differentiate.

I want justice though we all differ about what that is in certain cases.

Well then at least you seem to be 'keepin' it real.' Congrats. Can't say that I don't see plenty of double standards on the board though.

I think it does not really matter for the victims if the guy is rich or poor if they get off lightly it is the same insult.

But like i said we all have different ideas about justice. I dont think drug use warrants the harsh punishment compared to murder here. Others think different so a good justice system would never please everyone. But i think we can all agree there is not a good system here. Back home there are mistakes and things that are wrong but its worse here.

Nowhere is petefection just less imperfect.

smile.png

If it'll make folks feel better, there are literal droves of convicted (and poor lower class types) murderers and misc. criminals freed from Thai prisons each year after 1/4, 1/8 or worse of their original sentences served. In pure numbers, probably in the thousand to 1 range compared to these 'high profile hi-so gets out of trouble' type cases. My guess is that many posters would find that less troubling (and less worth whining about) though.... because they get out and they are still poor and downtrodden: driving taxis, motorcycles, buses, etc.... instead of returning to a life of (annoyingly) carefree comfort. But yeah, let's try to keep pretending this is about "principles."

smile.png

I don't "pretend" anything about "principles". For me this is about principle and equality of justice.

Escaping justice simply because you are rich and privilidged is wrong. It is a symptom of a corrupt society.

The annual amnesty is little more than an exercise to save money by freeing a percentage of those in prison.

It does nothing to address the issues of why people are convicted in the first place and is a slap in the face to the victims.

• Like 1

I don't "pretend" anything about "principles". For me this is about principle and equality of justice.

Escaping justice simply because you are rich and privilidged is wrong. It is a symptom of a corrupt society.

The annual amnesty is little more than an exercise to save money by freeing a percentage of those in prison.

It does nothing to address the issues of why people are convicted in the first place and is a slap in the face to the victims.

The latter is certainly much more of a danger to the general public, but again, without much TV outwhine. Your focus on the cases of the 'wealthy getting away with it' vs. the apparent dismissal of the 'poor getting away with it' is a good example of inequality of justice (and distribution of sour grapes).

smile.png

Edited by Heng

The latter is certainly much more of a danger to the general public, but again, without much TV outwhine. Your focus on the cases of the 'wealthy getting away with it' vs. the apparent dismissal of the 'poor getting away with it' is a good example of inequality of justice (and distribution of sour grapes).

smile.png

Where on earth is 'poor getting away with it' coming from?

Suggests a somewhat paranoid response if you can infer that in a comment about privilidge and lack of accountability.

My opposition of the annual amnesty would suggest otherwise as the 'poor', who make up the overwhelming prison population, are the main beneficiaries.

That's great that you're against it (as am I). My point was the lack of attention (and whining) that that type of news announcement gets compared to the 'frenzy' when the well to do and more or less untouchable segments of society get into trouble (and 'get away with it').

"Anuchai denied that police tried to help Worrayuth by testing his blood alcohol level in the afternoon although the accident happened early in the morning. He said the test was conducted later in the day because investigators conducted several tests, including collecting DNA samples and fingerprints inside the Ferrari car.

"We have tried to collect the most evidence. We will definitely help the suspect but we will deal with the case based on evidence," Anuchai said."

Odd thing to say considering the circumstances.

One would normally expect only the latter part of that sentence.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this guy has made into the news. He's listed as one of the most spoiled kids.

http://finance.yahoo...-153905583.html

Was the following reported in the Thai news papers? If so I missed it.

From the above article: In October of this year, 27-year-old Vorayud Yoovidhaya was accused in the hit-and-run death of a police officer and had his father pay the officer's family $97,000 to stall the civil lawsuit.

Well this guy has made into the news. He's listed as one of the most spoiled kids.

http://finance.yahoo...-153905583.html

Was the following reported in the Thai news papers? If so I missed it.

From the above article: In October of this year, 27-year-old Vorayud Yoovidhaya was accused in the hit-and-run death of a police officer and had his father pay the officer's family $97,000 to stall the civil lawsuit.

Hes just a grub. The silence on this case is deafening.

I thought the amount paid was considerably less and actually it was the $97,000 that caught my eye in the article.

I don't know if the amount was in the Thai press or not.

Peculiar to see that paltry $97000 mentioned amongst all those bilions!

I read at the time there was talk of a three million baht pay off to the immediate family which would tally with the 97k although one would imagine the 'unofficial' amount would have been considerably more given that (using F1 parlance) the case has not so much stalled as been as been driven back to the pits and and the doors firmly bolted.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been told, by a very good source close to the family, that the amount paid to the family was 6 million THB.

I have been told by a very good source very close to the time godess that ths year is 2013 and 2014 will definitely follow.

• Like 2

I have been told, by a very good source close to the family, that the amount paid to the family was 6 million THB.

I have been told by a very good source very close to the time godess that ths year is 2013 and 2014 will definitely follow.

I have been told by a very good source close to me that my girlfriend's father's buffalo died today and he needs ten thousand Baht to buy another one. Edited by Pimay1

I have been told by a very good source close to me that my girlfriend's father's buffalo died today and he needs ten thousand Baht to buy another one.

But, but......I was told today by a very good source close to me that my girlfriend's father's buffalo died today and he needs ten thousand Baht to buy another one!

• Like 1

It was reported that traces of cocaine were found in his blood, this along with the fact that he failed to stop should (in the real world) be sufficient to secure a conviction, the cop that attempted to cover it up should/could be persuaded to give evidence which should go against him, all said and done (in the real world) he would be looking at a conviction along with a custodial sentence, but as I said 'In the real world'.

If the young girl can get what amounted to a suspended license and probation for killing 9 people he has a good chance of a similar punishment, the cop will be put in an inactive post, the dead cops family will be looked after job done!

I got to say that the initial piece of 'investigation' appears to have been well done, the tracing of the oil etc etc, after that the friendly cop put a spanner in the works but they overcame all that and managed to arrest the little brat albeit by appointment, credit where credit is due, the cops have done their bit now its up to the judicial system.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Reassuring to know that well healed genteleman will continue to proceed unindered by regard to the safety of others.

It might help newcomers to have signs in English that it is a zone of impunity for the well connected and pleb proles are collateral damage like Iraqis.

A ringing endorsement of this Budhhist karma and guideline to driving etiquette for lottery winners

Will Thai justice finally dare to lock up somebody from a wealthy & influential family? Don't hold your breath. The law is only for the poor and middle-classes in Thailand. Apart from selective justice, this incident talks to a common problem in Thailand - at all levels. That is, a total lack of respect by drivers for other road-users evidenced by the huge loss of life or limb in road accidents in Thailand. Anyone who can drive a bullock-cart gets a licence to kill.

• Like 2

That is, a total lack of respect by drivers for other road-users evidenced by the huge loss of life or limb in road accidents in Thailand. Anyone who can drive a bullock-cart gets a licence to kill.

This is why I take the bus most places! The bike is for the 7 run.

That is, a total lack of respect by drivers for other road-users evidenced by the huge loss of life or limb in road accidents in Thailand. Anyone who can drive a bullock-cart gets a licence to kill.

This is why I take the bus most places! The bike is for the 7 run.

Sitting on a bus you are in one of the highest risk categories! Get yourself a nice big SUV and drive yourself!

It was reported that traces of cocaine were found in his blood, this along with the fact that he failed to stop should (in the real world) be sufficient to secure a conviction, the cop that attempted to cover it up should/could be persuaded to give evidence which should go against him, all said and done (in the real world) he would be looking at a conviction along with a custodial sentence, but as I said 'In the real world'.

If the young girl can get what amounted to a suspended license and probation for killing 9 people he has a good chance of a similar punishment, the cop will be put in an inactive post, the dead cops family will be looked after job done!

I got to say that the initial piece of 'investigation' appears to have been well done, the tracing of the oil etc etc, after that the friendly cop put a spanner in the works but they overcame all that and managed to arrest the little brat albeit by appointment, credit where credit is due, the cops have done their bit now its up to the judicial system.

clap2.gifclap2.gif Very Well Said Sir. As much as I like to think I could, I could not have said it better my self. thumbsup.gif