New Crackdown On Dental Braces

sriracha john

post-9005-1138265299.jpg

Thailand to ban trendy dental braces

10:35 2006-01-26

Authorities are clamping down on the Thai teen fashion fad of wearing fake orthodontic braces by targeting those who sell and make the pseudo-dental gear with steep fines and prison time, officials said Thursday. Girls flashing multicolored metallic grins are regularly featured in teen magazines as braces have become more common in Thailand, transforming the dental gear detested by Western youths into a fashion statement.

Rather than getting fitted for the real, and expensive, option, teens have been buying do-it-yourself kits in stores and select red, pink, yellow, blue or multicolored rubber bands to match their outfits or moods. Clear or neutral bands are rarely seen in Thai mouths. But, the government's Consumer Protection Board says the trend is unsafe.

"Some people put the fashion (braces) on by themselves, which is dangerous because they could come loose and slip into the throat," said Rasamee Vistaveth, secretary-general of the Consumer Protection Board, which is under the prime minister's office.

The fake braces, which are glued onto the teeth, can also cause sores on the gums and inside the mouth and some of the wires have been found to contain lead, she said. Rasamee said the board was planning to sign an order Thursday punishing sellers, importers and producers of fake braces, which would take effect immediately.

Under the new order, selling fake braces would be punishable by six months in prison or a 50,000 baht fine.

Importers and producers could face up to one year behind bars and a 100,000 baht fine. The consumer board has been tracking the trend and authorities have made several seizures of fake braces during raids, Rasamee said, adding she believed the trend had already peaked but the crackdown was, nonetheless, continuing, reports the AP.

Another trend, at least in the US, is to use the "Biore" (stick-on cleansing pads) product as a fashion statement: one on the nose, one on the chin. Boy, does that look smart! Everytime I saw one, I thought the person was recovering from plastic surgery.

Yeah, false braces are a real turn on :o

Perhaps we should start a new thread, about the fashion statements when we were young....absolutely huge flares, Kevin Keegan perms, punk, know the sort of thing? Pictures would be great too! By doing that we would see just how daft we looked, but didn't see it at the time, just like the kids of today! In years to come they'll look back and cringe, just like us now. If it's not doing them any harm, leave them alone, if it is then the problem needs to be sorted.

• 3 months later...
post-9005-1138265299.jpg

Thailand to ban trendy dental braces

10:35 2006-01-26

Rather than getting fitted for the real, and expensive, option, teens have been buying do-it-yourself kits in stores and select red, pink, yellow, blue or multicolored rubber bands to match their outfits or moods. Clear or neutral bands are rarely seen in Thai mouths. But, the government's Consumer Protection Board says the trend is unsafe.

So how much do the real ones cost, my g/f has been saying she should have some fitted as her teeth don't meet in the middle.

Is it better to visit a hospital or a local dentist?

B20,000 and up, depending on specifically what treatment is needed.

Most orthodonists in our area work in various dental clinics on a rotating schedule basis. Get a recommendation for one from a local. Experience is essential for good final results.

Another trend, at least in the US, is to use the "Biore" (stick-on cleansing pads) product as a fashion statement: one on the nose, one on the chin. Boy, does that look smart! Everytime I saw one, I thought the person was recovering from plastic surgery.

That is just as good as the fad here to walk around with one of them menthol inhalators stuck up your nose. :o

I think the braces fashion is very cute and looks great on girls, but it is easy for me to see the difference between fake and real. Women do some crazy things to impress men, but this has gotta be one of the weirdest (next to that pimple fashion you were talking about). The potential damage that could be caused, the staining, and the hassles of applying and removing - not worth it. Actually one of the girls that works with me here at Bangkok Smile Dental Clinic use to wear them! She has now switched over to the coventional braces and looks much cuter and is actually straighting her teeth at the same time.

People with braces in America do no hold the same status symbol as they do here in Thailand. Other than having the cute look, I think Thais also like to wear them because it shows they have money. Although, orthadonic treatment in Thailand is considerably affordable, for Thais to have actual braces they must have some extra disposiable income or a good dental plan.

The orthodontic treatments of Invisible Braces we offer are only popular with the local expatriates that visit us, and the "Luk Khung". The clear invisible braces can even straighten you teeth considerably faster that conventional braces. Mordern dentistry now also allows us to put the braces behind your teeth! It takes a little longer to get use to them, but you dont have to worry about your lips protruding or getting hit in the mouth. Suitable for men I think. There is even an option to have the brackets be clear, leaving only the wire visible. This again defeats the purpose of style for Thais, but its popular with the forgieners.

Regarding prices. Conventional metal braces with the colorful rubberbands will cost a little over 36,000 Thai Baht for a 18 moth treatment plan. The clear tooth color braces run about 44,000 Thai Baht for a 18 month treatment plan. The Lingual braces, braces that go behind the teeth are about 110,000 Thai Baht for a 24 month treatment plan. Finally the clear braces Invisalign is 125,000 Thai Baht for 6 month treatment plan. Its best to have your girl-friend come in for a consultation for exact pricing. For orthodontics their are financing plans avaiable to help with payment.

Check out the pics and more information at http://www.dentalthailand.com/ourservice/invisalign.htm if you are interested in orthodontic or dental treatment. You can contact me directly if you like. But just don't get the Siam Special Braces - truely not worth it.

:o

wow, nice infomercial! :D

no really interesting, I was wondering what's your opinion about the teeth implant, I mean the one drilled to the bone (eerm you got it uh?). Is it worth it the extra cost or it's safer to go with the "classic" bridge?

Lol I had to grab the opportunity for a free consultation :o:D

Edited by KhunMarco

**advertising post truncated**

8 posts and 6 of them advertising this or that....

If I'm not mistaken, Thaivisa DOES offer sponsorships for that level of publicity...

perhaps prior to people contacting you, you could have your clinic contact TV about one.